Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 07:32   #1

Controlling depths south side of Cuba

I will soon be taking a tall ship to the south side of Cuba, drawing close to 11'. Besides Cienfuegos, can any of you tell me of ports where I could go alongside with that much draft? And also ports where I could anchor close to the quay if I can't tie up?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts, experience and wisdom.
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:49   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Controlling depths south side of Cuba

Santiago and Manzanillo will be no problem for you. The harbor at Baitiquiri is 10 to 12 feet in the harbor with plenty of depth in the entrance channel. You can't go ashore here, but it may be an option for rest stop. I strongly suggest a good set of current charts to answer your question. There are areas in the Golfo de Guacanayabo and Golfo de Ana Maria that you can cruise, but not without proper charts. Lots of small islands where you can anchor in 12 feet.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10   #3

Anchorguy - many thanks - two more than I had confirmed. Can you tell me who publishes current charts you referenced for Cuba?
Thanks,
Jack
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:28   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

NV Charts publishes a chartkit. You can buy it from Bluewater Books and Charts or Landfall Navigation. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 14:36   #5

Boat: Oyster 55

I would not pass up the islands around Cayo Largo. Not a "port" but quite nice with great reef, fishing and diving. The biggest conch I have ever seen.
Good depth and reasonably protected. You could dingy into Cayo Largo itself but there is a marina that might be deep enough for dockage. They also have an airport with daily flights to Havana. I am not currently on my boat so don't have my charts with me but to the best of my memory there is adequate depth for your vessel.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 15:49   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

You'll not get into Cayo Largo Marina with an 11' draft, indeed I doubt that you'll even get close enough to the island to gain much shelter from it at all, so that's only going to be an option for light/settled weather.
Whilst you will find ample depths to enter and anchor off both Cienfuegos and Santiago, I doubt that you'll actually manage to moor up in either of the marinas.
Manzanillo too is going to be an anchorage only (perhaps 3/4M offshore) with 11' draft, you'll also get into the bight off the west side of Isla Juventad and around to it's north side too (don't go too far south down the island's east side) from there you should be able to scrape through the Manteca Passage into the Batabano Gulf, though you definitely won't make it through the Canal de Rosario to enter/exit it further east.
In the far west you'll be able to anchor in the Bahia de Corrientes off Maria Gorda, or the bay beyond Los Morros to the north of Cabo San Antonio; once again, both can get uncomfortable in rough weather.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, depth