Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 10:59   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
, I'd have to say I am totally confused at this point and might consider a Magellan Straight or Horny detour.
Ummm the whole point of cruising was to go where the butter melts......

Patagonian butter is used to make buildings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Panama!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 11:10   #17

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummm the whole point of cruising was to go where the butter melts......

Patagonian butter is used to make buildings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Panama!

But they do some of the worlds best barbecues Now who was it that was urging me to get out in those 30 foot waves

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 11:23   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
But they do some of the worlds best barbecues Now who was it that was urging me to get out in those 30 foot waves

P.
The best BBQ's are in NORTH Argentina and the (warmer) Brazil!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 11:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Just google "colon panama, crime stats." and settle down for an afternoon of reading.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 11:42   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
hmm after "colon panama, crime stats" google-boogle, got my appetite quite up there. BBQ seems mighty tasty to me right now...yum!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 11:55   #21

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
After screaming "yankee go home" and "hate the yankees" for decades, the US obliged and closed 26 US Military establishments. The Panamanians were shocked that when the US left, they took their money with them, the lower strata of their population has still not adjusted to this fact .

Then to add insult to injury the US gave them true independence - they gave the Canal to them.

Several changes were enviable, all employees of the canal were forced to renounce their US citizenship in order to preserve their retirement and continue employment.
The US Military personnel had established the Yacht Clubs for their own enjoyment and when they left, so to did any support of the clubs.

Because the US no longer subsidized the canal the Panamanians were forced to make the Canal support itself. Hence the increase in fees, large Pan-max ships pay over $150,000 for each transit.

There was a $5 billion bond approved by the voters to add another set of locks and to recycle some of the water used. Fees have been increased to provide funds for this construction.

People in Central Americian contries on the Pacific side are considerablely more tolerant of we cruisiers, it must be the water!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 16:07   #22

UWOA , I will definitely agree that discretion is the best part of valor , but I think discretion doesn't meant don't go there . And I have a lot of respect for your profession , skills and attitude but I can't help quoting the guy who said that to a man carrying a hammer everything looks like a nail.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 16:13   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38
While we were there in Shelter Bay some friends were over at the old yacht club (now gone) and they were swapping engines out. They put the old engine block (to be traded in) on the dock next to their boat and it was stolen by the morning. During the same period someone was clonked on the head and robbed walking inside the yacht club on his way to a taxi. I went in to Colon with a Panamanian friend from the area, and he was more scared for me than I was. He kept right behind me and kept whispering "I've got your back." All the gas stations we went buy had an attendant stand guard with a shotgun while people pumped gas. Nasty place, but it is great for supplies and as long as you heed the latest warnings OK if you need to conduct business. Otherwise, no reason to go there.
Kettlewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 17:24   #24

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
You go to Colon to do the paperwork to transit the canal. Don't screw around re-suppling, do that on the otherside. Get your paperwork done and get your hiney thru the canal.

My approach to Panama was from the Pacific side, but the same rules apply

The Pacific side is way more civilized, Panama City is a large metropolitan city.
Leaving Balboa the islands of the Les Perias were a delight as were the remote island of the Peridas in NW Panama offshore of the second largest city in Panama - David (Da-vi).

If you're doing the two year around the Caribbean Sea thing, go back to Cartagena to head north.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 20:35   #25

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ventura View Post
UWOA , I will definitely agree that discretion is the best part of valor , but I think discretion doesn't meant don't go there . And I have a lot of respect for your profession , skills and attitude but I can't help quoting the guy who said that to a man carrying a hammer everything looks like a nail.
I never said don't go there; I've been there (lived on the Atlantic side for two years). I'm just saying use common sense and make an honest appraisal of your survival skills and act accordingly. The bottom line is always the "common sense" portion of the equation.
Old 25-08-2010, 08:02   #26
cruiser

WANTED - One m-4 with flash suppressor and three clips; One HK-45 w/ leg holster; One Glock 40 with skeleton holster - left sholder; Three CQ MOW quick opening button knives with quick release velcro sheaths; Two Mossberg mariners with ghost rings...combat modified; assorted ammo for above including mixed slugs rounds for shotguns...

...so I can walk into the Citibank in Colon, Panama and make a deposit.
Old 25-08-2010, 08:20   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
I'd bet against a transaction being successfully completed by anyone equipped as noted - especially in Panama.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 09:24   #28

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
WANTED - One m-4 with flash suppressor and three clips; One HK-45 w/ leg holster; One Glock 40 with skeleton holster - left sholder; Three CQ MOW quick opening button knives with quick release velcro sheaths; Two Mossberg mariners with ghost rings...combat modified; assorted ammo for above including mixed slugs rounds for shotguns...

Obviously, you've never met me. As my sensei once told me, and as I've tried to practice during the twenty-five years plus that I've studied karate: "You should be able to step out of the shower with a light coat of sweat, take on the world ... and win."

LOL
Old 25-08-2010, 09:52   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
..."You should be able to step out of the shower with a light coat of sweat, take on the world ... and win."
LOL
Surely you and/or your sensei jest.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 10:25   #30
cruiser

You think if I walked into a colon bank and said "please" they would at least give me a smile...

Well, I'd probably fall on the floor from all that weight and lead unable to get up anyway - like an overturned turtle.

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama