Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 18:26   #1

Boat: F.P Mahe Evolution 36-Aloha Ola
Clearing USVI - BVI

Any one know how easy or hard the check in / clearing process is, sailing from BVI to USVI? Looked on the forum but couldn't see anything.
Thanks
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 18:42   #2

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Re: Clearing USVI - BVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
Any one know how easy or hard the check in / clearing process is, sailing from BVI to USVI? Looked on the forum but couldn't see anything.
Thanks
US citizen? it's easy. And you don't have to clear out of the USVI to go back to the BVI. Check out at either Jost Van Dyke or west end, Soper's Hole.
I'd check in at Cruz Bay, St. John. You can drop anchor near customs, it's tight, good for about 3 small boats or so.. or 2.. or better yet, tie unto a park mooring around the corner to the north in Caneel Bay and dinghy to customs. That's one way to do it anyway.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 19:15   #3

Thanks Privleoplag,
I'm picking up crew in St Thomas so I will be going there. My boat is US coastguard registered and kept in BVI's. Do I need to take boat documents also or just passports? thanks again.
Old 29-01-2016, 19:27   #4

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

it's like checking into/out of any other country.. bring your boat documentation.. your clear-out papers from the previous country.. checking into the u.s. bring all people to c&I with their passports.. if you return to the BVI with more people than what you left with.. good idea to bring everyone in to c&I too. the office people will give you the forms you need to fill out.. there will be a page or two.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 14:47   #5

From the BVI to the USA(USVI) is very simple. If you're here in the BVI just go into one of our offices and fill out the several copy form. The form costs .50 and checking out during regular hours is only $1.00. Only one person needs to go into immigration.
Are you a private or charter boat?

If you are U.S. documented boat you can check in at St. Thomas, St. John or St. John with little to no problems. however in the U.S. each person aboard must be present. If you're all American it's simple. If you have individuals from other countries there are other necessities, such as Visas.
Bring your documents and passports.
That's about it.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:10   #6

Thanks invictus2, Aloha Ola is in charter she's in the BVI's it's the first time I will be taking her to USVI to pick up the 1st mate hence the questions. Seems to be pretty straight forward so thanks again for the information, most appreciated. I'll be the only one aboard and I'm a dual national British/American.