Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 08:23   #1
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Clearing In at Charlotteville, Tobago ?

Anyone cleared in at Charlotteville in Tobago recently? Noonsite says you can now but these things can change overnight, can anyone confirm it's still possible? Thanks in advance.

Paddy on Conachair
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 15:53   #2

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Hi Paddy, We have cleared in and out at Charlotteville several times. There has always been an office there for customs and immigration, at the back of the sports field, but you can never be totally sure whether both sides are manned. The customs officer lives in C'ville so he is usually there, but immigration often split their time between there and Scarborough. The last time we were there, almost a year ago, the immigration officer was staying in the green and white house just up the road from his office and didn't mind being called upon, but another time it was four days before he was in his office. Charlotteville is one of the last sleepy fishing villages in the Eastern Caribbean, and not to be missed. Its all very relaxed. Everything just takes a little longer, and if you have the time, it is charming. I have never known more than half a dozen yachts anchored there but they often have just come up from Brazil or crossed from the Verdes or South Africa. If you arrive and theres no-one there, walk down the road from the jetty till you see the shack and internet cafe for 'Workshop Sea Tours' and ask for Curtis. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and he will help sort you out.
If you sail down the coast past Castara however, you have to check out of C'ville and in again at Scarborough (although you can anchor up at Crown Pt or Mt Irvine and take a taxi to Scarbro) Generally the officials are more officious in Scarboro than C'ville. Fair winds.

Richard on Sobriyah
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:30   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It may be just luck of the draw, but I got a real warm welcome in Charlotteville--I had already checked in at Scarborough, and was threatened with fines and boat confiscation because I didn't come ashore IMMEDIATELY when I got to Charlotteville. I anchored after sunset and waited for the next morning, figuring that I was already checked in to the country. Probably the same guy who fined a bunch of Trinidad-based boats for not checking in.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:51   #4

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
It may be just luck of the draw, but I got a real warm welcome in Charlotteville--I had already checked in at Scarborough, and was threatened with fines and boat confiscation because I didn't come ashore IMMEDIATELY when I got to Charlotteville. I anchored after sunset and waited for the next morning, figuring that I was already checked in to the country. Probably the same guy who fined a bunch of Trinidad-based boats for not checking in.
Yeah, you were really unlucky. I went from Trini over to Tobago in September this year, arrived after office hours so checked in the following morning with no problem or comment. The customs guy rang the immigration officer who arrived about 30 minutes later. Everybody was relaxed and friendly. The same story when we cleared out a week later to go to Guyana.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 09:11   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Thanks all. Ended up in Kings bay as looked safest bet with no engine, paid overtime for customs but they were all very helpful, ended up having to go to Charlotseville to do customs as kings bay is their bit.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago