Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 08:15   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Clear In / Out Form for French Islands

There is a standardized form now being used in St Martin (French side), St. Barts and other French islands in the Caribbean. When you go into a customs office (or even some marinas) you just fill out a form on their computer, print it out, the authority there stamps it and Volia, you are cleared in or out. I have been told that it is acceptable to have the form filled out with crew list info, etc on a thumb drive and just bring it in. Does anyone know where the form can be downloaded on line?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 08:53   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
re: Clear In / Out Form for French Islands

The Marina Fort Louis in Marigot has the forms linked...

Marina Fort Louis | Port Clearance Assistance | Marina St Maarten, Saint Martin

Hope that works for you.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:08   #3

Thank you captain!
Old 16-04-2011, 12:29   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

A month or so ago in St. Barths I wanted to use a USB-Stick again and was told that they've discontinued use of them (due to viruses being schlepped in via those little USB drives). You can print out the exit form in St. Barths and bring it into the office, which saves a little bit of time.
While there last time there was a lady captain who was having a huge and voluble argument about filling in crew lists - she had over 200 crew and felt that since they were a nonprofit charity vessel she didn't have to fill anything out but the gent from Capitanerie showed her the error of her ways. An hour later when I went into the office she was still there at the computer with a crew member assisting her.
Old 16-04-2011, 12:31   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I forgot to add that clearing out with the French system is very fast, since it picks up your entry clearance information and fills in all the blanks for you.
Old 16-04-2011, 13:30   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Do aii of the ex British Islands still use carbon paper and multible forms?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 14:12   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

There's a fairly new system called eSeaClear, used by...
Anguilla
  • Aruba
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Dominica
  • Netherlands Antilles
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Old 16-04-2011, 15:24   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

You can fill out the eseaclear data for Anguilla, but you will still be doing the paperwork by hand. If your going there, fill out 4 crew copies which include name, dob, nationality, passport number, and date of issue. Then you only need to fill out a few forms. The first time they register your boat it takes 10 minutes, the next time half that. If your staying more then two nights, you have to come back to clear out. Cost for 3 nights of anchoring and two days cruising permit for 9 people - $160

On St. Bart's, once you and your boat are registered, the info from then on will pop up. You need to enter your crew individually but on clear out they are there. So, we had 9 people on board, 8 of which I needed to enter and it took about 20 minutes to clear in and 5 minutes to clear out. Cost - $70 for 3 nights anchoring.

You can clear in in Marigot, Anse Marcel, and Oyster Pond for French St. Martin. They charge 5 euros. That's it. Their system is very similar to St. Bart's but as of yet didn't store the crew lists.
Old 16-04-2011, 15:51   #9

If you go to Mexico, Cuba or anywhere in Central America take carbon paper. Carry it with your boat papers and offer fresh carbon paper to the official. He will love you for it. I have left a lot of "Callisto"pens in Central America too!

The Eastern Caribbean is very sophisticated compared to the western Carribean.
Old 16-04-2011, 17:15   #10

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Actually Anguilla is FREE to go to if you stay in Road Bay. You only need a cruising permit if you want to go elsewhere and since there is only one other anchorage allowed, why bother? We used the money we saved by leaving the boat in Road Bay to rent a car and went all over the island and still were ahead of the game compared to paying for a cruising permit.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 18:55   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Callistov42 - That's a great idea. I don't plan on going there but a few sheets wouldn't take up much room. And the pens would be nice as we typically cruise the same area.

sck5 - I don't want to be too argumentative, but your wrong . I've been to Anguilla 5 times in the last 8 months and you absolutely do have to pay something. It doesn't cost anything to anchor in Road Bay, but Immigration still charges a fee. The cruising permit is on top of that fee. We had nine people from two families on the last visit and our fees where $160 for three nights (one in Road Bay). Of that the cruising permit for two days was something like $60. Also, you need the cruising permit to go ANYWHERE other then Road Bay, even if it's just for the day. Also, they do patrol it. My friend was questioned when he sailed from SBH to Anguilla and stopped at Scrub to swim in the afternoon. He explained that they where heading to C & I and they told him he couldn't stop anywhere until cleared in. We all typically know this but it seldom seems to be enforced.