Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 17:17   #1

Boat: Island Packet 460
Circumnavigating Puerto Rico

After numerous trips in the VI's (B, US, and S), we're planning to expand our horizons by going around PR, starting from St Thomas in late May. I've studied the Pavlidis and Van Sant guides, and have a pretty good feel for what to expect. I figure about 4 weeks will give us plenty of time to do the trip enjoyably. A couple specific questions - how far offshore for the downhill run on the north coast, and how reliable is the Arecibo anchorage in prevailing (ESE) conditions? Anyway, any words of wisdom from CF are welcome.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 08:09   #2

Re: Circumnavigating Puerto Rico

Hmmm - didn't even rate a 'welcome to CF'.

After making the journey, I can see why there weren't many comments about the north shore of Puerto Rico - nobody goes there. We saw only 2 non-commercial boats in 3 days, and only about 10 boats/ships total. To answer the OP's questions - Arecibo is a nice little anchorage, with room for just a few boats, but no problem, because you'll be the only one there. (The local fisherman and the maritime police both wondered what we were doing there - nobody comes here). Also, the north coast is usually pretty rough according to locals, and the NWS forecasts are pretty worthless (predicted 12-17 kts with 3-5 ft ended up being 23-28 kts with 6-8 ft - I'm glad we were going downwind).

The west and south coasts are a little more travelled by cruisers and daytrippers, but still pretty quiet. A lot of nice gunkholes.
Old 16-07-2014, 08:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Did you stop at "Dirty Beach?" My GF's family is from Cabo Rojo and we have visited all of the beaches from Rincon to Ponce and that is definitely the local's favorite- so beautiful! But the southwest shoreline is pretty rocky and there always seems to be a stiff breeze and 3-5' waves.

Pics?
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 09:13   #4

Alas, no. We anchored on the other side of the cape (Bahia Salinas) to get an early start the next day, and saw what a nice beach it was as we went by at 0630. One thing we want to do is go back on a land-based vacation, and visit all the spots that looked good as we sailed past, and revisit some of the spots we were at. (My wife is handicapped, and it's pretty hard to do much ashore via a dinghy ride).

Tags
Puerto Rico