Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 06:27   #16

Re: Chesapeake to Bahamas Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sorry Pilot2, but asking Auspicious about fees for his professional services is not on. Please PM Auspicious if you'd like to discuss - or hire him/her yourself. Thanks in advance.
I assumed he or, possibly, any skipper interested, would reply by PM. Is posting such a question a forum rule violation?
Pilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 06:45   #17

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Sorry Pilot2, but asking Auspicious about fees for his professional services is not on. Please PM Auspicious if you'd like to discuss - or hire him/her yourself. Thanks in advance.

I take your point. I'm going to take a stab at describing the market without crossing any lines. If I err please feel free to delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2 View Post
Auspicious, what does a skipper such as yourself charge to do a Annapolis to Bahamas hop with that owner aboard training?

There are a lot of people who call themselves delivery skippers. Some do one or two trips a year. Some are inshore/ICW people. Many skippers prefer not to have owner's aboard (an interesting perspective I don't happen to agree with).

The skippers I know charge anywhere between $185 to $650 per day plus expenses. Personal expenses are generally transportation related. Boat expenses include fuel, marinas, spares, and repairs. Provisioning is also an expense. I budget $16.50/person/day but can beat that by a good bit on a well outfit boat - I've had to buy knives, cutting boards, and even pots and pans on some boats. Economics of scale apply - larger crews and longer voyagers are cheaper /person/day.

Crew is also a factor. Some crew costs are billed separately. Some skippers build crew into their rates. Sailing with me is attractive enough, in all humility, that crew sail with me because they know they will learn a lot and that is cheaper than a sailing school.

There are lots of skippers who sail as part of a couple. Some singlehand; personally I won't singlehand a customer's boat for a trip longer than a day. I've taken my own boat up to seven days and know what that does to judgment and awareness. I usually sail with four, sometimes three. Full formal watches and regular oversight. Be sure you know what you get for your money whether you are aboard or not.

I think that gives you a sense of the market without flopping into advertising or self-promotion. I hope. If you have more detailed questions I agree with @LittleWing77 that we should take that offline. Send me a PM or better for me an email dave@auspiciousworks.com.

I have lots of delivery stories but I should run them by the mods so they don't come across as self serving which is not my intent. Every one has one or more morals that can help you be a better, more self-sufficient sailor. "If anything is going to happen, it'll happen out there." *grin*

I'm happy to answer general questions here. I feel strongly that information is power when it is shared. Anyone who wants to meet up in Annapolis should drop me an email and if I'm home I'm happy to meet up.

I'm also the SSCA Annapolis Cruising Station, the MTOA Annapolis Port Captain, the AGLCA Annapolis Harbor Host, and directly support the OCC Annapolis Port Captain. If you are having any issues sailing the Chesapeake Bay I am a free resource for members of all those groups. Like MaineSail I give back to the community that supports me. I'm here to help. Email is best, then text, phone calls last.

Mods: please let me know if I stayed on the proper side of the line.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 07:53   #18

Hello Again Auspicious and Pilot2,

Please note that I am not a moderator. I was only voicing my perception of your post, Pilot2, and in that sense, Auspicious clearly understood.

Pilot2, the way you originally expressed your question felt almost challenging to me and I (this may sound silly, so sorry in advance) but I sorta felt as if I ought to reinforce that Auspicious' services are valid professional services and if you, as a Forum participant, wanted to investigate, it more properly should be discussed privately. Maybe that's just me.

Auspicious, I think your response was brilliant - Incredibly informative while skillfully navigating the self-promotion aspect. If your "captaining" is similar, I would sail with you anytime, anywhere. ; )

Fair winds to you both.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:03   #19

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Auspicious, I think your response was brilliant - Incredibly informative while skillfully navigating the self-promotion aspect. If your "captaining" is similar, I would sail with you anytime, anywhere.

Thank you for your kind words. I try to be responsive and still be sensitive to the cultural expectations of any particular forum. You can drop me an email to get on my crew list. Everyone competes for opportunities so being on the list (free) is no guarantee of anything. I never share your email with anyone, yadda yadda yadda. *grin*

I will share one story that I think is valuable enough not to come off as self-serving.

The moral is to be nice to people.

I'd taken a big cat from Annapolis to Marsh Harbour and we had some issues with a number of things most particularly the remotely operated electric actuators for the engine throttles and transmissions. I really miss cables. Anyway the factory sent a couple of guys out to work on the warranty list and Yanmar was shipping replacement actuators by FedEx. We were at Conch Inn Marina (my preferred place for lots of reason not relevant here). A couple of staff vaguely remembered me. Their recollection perked up dramatically when I started my usual practice of taking some cookies, M&Ms, or other treats to the office mid-morning. This is something I do to build relationships. In this case it really paid off.

We were on the last day of work when my phone dinged with the FedEx text that the actuators were on island and through Customs. Unfortunately the local FedEx office was closed. The factory guys had to go home on the first flight in the morning to make their connections - 1. their visas expired that day and 2. one of them was expecting his first child and his wife was very very due.

I did the only thing I could think of. I went up to the office with another bowl of peanut M&Ms and laid out my tale of woe. The ladies in the office talked me over in their patois (which I cannot follow) and sent me back to the boat promising to call me on the VHF "soon."

The factory guys were not impressed. About 40 minutes later the VHF crackled to life. "Your package is here but you have to sign for it." It turned out they tracked down a friend whose sister was dating a guy who worked for FedEx. He went in, found our package, and brought it to the marina. Just wow. Now the factory guys were impressed.

As I said I have lots of reasons I like Conch Inn but when a customer asks I tell that story. *grin*

Again, the moral is to be nice to people. It is good for your karma and may turn out to be more immediately helpful.

Oh - in Marsh Harbour go to Colors by the Sea for the very best Internet, a wonderful hostess, and good food. I download all my app and other software updates there over a big bowl of pasta. For a treat go to Wally's for dinner. Best provisioning in Abaco at the big market. Taxis are on VHF 06. A moment of silence please for Curly Tails which is under new management as the Blue Hole - very nice. I know a lot of people like the Jib Room but in my opinion it has gone down hill and is not worth the effort. Don't miss the cruisers net on VHF 68 at 0830 (0815? I forget). Barometer Bob does good stuff but I just go to NOAA (see AuspiciousWorks - Communications / Yacht Management / Deliveries Worldwide).

Soon come, mon.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:49   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000

Abaco Cruisers Net starts at 0815 every morning, registration for a "scheduled" spot on the net starts at 0800.
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 04:19   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I can offer an update. I sailed offshore a few weeks ago from little creek inlet to Marsh harbor. We had a few weather issues that dictated a slightly longer route than planned. Probably added 100 nvm or so. Anyway, total time was 5 days. 850 miles. On the good side, our wind meant we only used 20 gallons of diesel including generator runs. I second eating at Colors. But I recommend the cracked conch with peas and rice and plantains!
Peeew is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas