Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04   #1

Boat: 1978 CSY 44 WO
Chesapeake Cruising Itinerary

My wife and I are leaving the work force the end of August. We intend to head north from our home in Wilmington, NC and hang out in the Chesapeake for a couple of months.

We'd love input on a recommended cruising itinerary for that time. We will enter at Norfolk.

No plans other than we'd like to attend the SSCA Gam at Camp Letts the end of September, visit the sailboat show, and go up to Baltimore as our son starts college this fall.

We hope to stay on the hook as much as possible.

Our boat is a CSY44 with a 5' draft.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:37   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Chesapeake Cruising Itinerary

Hmm - You could spend the rest of your life cruising the Chesapeake.

Hospital Point anchorage is decent and accessible. Check with the S/V Growltiger, the SSCA Cruising Station for the area on stuff to see and do and where to stock up.

Coming up the Bay I like Mobjack Bay, Crisfield, St Mary's, Solomons, Cambridge, St Michaels, Wye River creeks, Herring Bay, Galesville, Back Creek Annapolis, Dobbins Island Magothy River (weekdays), Worton Creek, Rock Hall, and lots of others.

I'm the SSCA Cruising Station in Annapolis. Feel free to contact me for help anywhere on the Bay.

I have a loaner copy of Bill Shellenbergers "Cruising the Chesapeake, A Gunkholer's Guide" that is the bible for Chesapeake cruising. I can mail it to you to use for a bit if you promise to send it back. You can take notes or buy your own copy. The Waterway Guide is okay also. ActiveCaptain is excellent on the Bay.

Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58   #3

Boat: 1978 CSY 44 WO

Great answer! Thanks.

I do have the '93 version of the Gunkholer's guide. I think it was revised in 2001 and a new copy is available for pre-order on Amazon but will not publish until the end of September.

Do you think that the 2001 version will have much that my older copy lacks?

Also, how helpful is Chesapeake Bay Magazine's Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay?

We helped man the SSCA booth last year with Growltiger. I'll put a shout out to them.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

We have the Chesapeake Bay Magazine guide and have found it very useful. Having thumbed through the preview pages available for the Shellenberger guide available on amazon, it appears both guides have comparable information - though Shellenberger looks to be heavier on the history/background info. I do like in the Bay Magazine guide that they have hand drawn bird's eye views for several locations that show some of the uncharted landmarks that can be useful nav aids for getting into the trickier anchorages. I think it would be hard to go wrong with either one combined with Active Captain.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:10   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I can wholeheartedly agree with Auspicious' anchorage spots. I have anchored in most of them and they are nice spots.

Here are a few more that I like: Reedville; Queenstown off of the Chester R.; Chestertown; Harness Creek on the N Shore of the S River in front of the county park; Mill Creek just past Jimmy Cantler's Seafood off of Whitehall Bay just south of the bridge; Baltimore's Inner Harbor inside the sub and frigate (if you are brave and can put up with the paddle boats); Sassafras River across from the county park.

The list is endless.

David
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19   #6

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Take your time. There as soo so many places which are beautiful.

Eastern Shore- Our favorites as they are less crowded

The Choptank River- Dunn Cove, Santo Domingo Creek,Tred Avon River (Oxford), Irish Creek, La Trappe Creek and then Cambridge

The Wye River up Eastern Bay and onto the Miles River has many nice anchorages such as Shaw bay, Dividing Creek, Granery Creek.

The Chester River after the bridge has Greys inn, Corsica, and one of our favorites to watch the geese land in the fall Cacaway Island. Tons opf Bald eagles and hawks

Swan Creek (Rock Hall)

Worton Creek- inside or outside. from here north you can swim as there are no nettles

Still Pond

Sasafrass River- Turner Creek and Georgetown

Western Shore

West River and Rhode River- Hihgh Bar...near Camp Letts

South River- Harness Creek ( Queit Waters park) or Aberseen Creek

Severn River- Spa and Back Creeks (Annapllis)Weems Creek (free navy moorings), Saltworks Creek, Turner Creek, Round Bay,

Whitehall Bay- Mill Creek

Magothy River- Deep Creek, Eagles Cove, broad Creek, Park Creek and Cypress creek

Patapso River- Bodkin Creek (Jubbs Cove), Rock Creek- where we keep our boat

Middle River- Sue Creek

Havre de grace

We have stayed in all of these so far and liked them all.

As you choose some feel free to e mail me with any questions on them,

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30   #7

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Hi Dougpad, sounds like fun. I just returned from the Chesapeake, made it as far as Annapolis (and back to Oriental) over a three week period. So many places to see, one could cruise the Chesapeake for a lifetime. I have to second the St Michaels area, and Wye River. Great maritime museum, grocery store and restaurants in St Michaels and peace and quiet anchoring in the Wye River, with great protection.

Back and forth across the bay could be a good way to sail more, particularly since you're in no hurry. Travel in the morning when PM thunderstorms are in the forecast.

This was my first trip to Annapolis - very cool town. Took a mooring for $30/night, dinghy docks are nearby. Being on the mooring meant I did not have to worry about the boat and spent time at the Naval museum, the maritime museum, Chick and Ruth's Delly for corned beef hash, etc etc. Very busy there on weekend nights. Main mooring field was full for Fri and Sat nights.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@ chef - nice list +1
Old 06-07-2012, 12:36   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougpad View Post
I do have the '93 version of the Gunkholer's guide. I think it was revised in 2001 and a new copy is available for pre-order on Amazon but will not publish until the end of September.
I think the '93 version plus ActiveCaptain will serve you well.

I defer to chef2sail on the Bay. He sails the bottom paint off his boat over a huge range and most importantly his memory is good and he can rattle off all kinds of details about every place he has been. Take him up on his offer. You won't regret it.

Do call when you get to Annapolis. I can help you with local transportation if you anchor in Back Creek.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:48   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Hi Dougpad, if you are interested in history there are a couple places you should consider here around Norfolk. The Army just handed Fort Monroe over to Virginia. There is a nice anchorage on the East side of the Hampton Roads bridge-tunnel that puts you right at the former main gate of the base. It is a great place to spend an afternoon and there is a well done museum (free) inside the old fort.

If you head up the James River a few miles you can anchor in Cobham Bay just off Chippokes Plantation State Park. They have preserved an old plantation house there for tours as well as a campground with nice showers. You can use the showers for free, but they charge admission for the pool. You are also just across the river from Jamestown Island.

Up the York River you can tie up at the newish town docks (Riverwalk Landing) for a couple hours and go tour the Yorktown Battlefield. You can anchor across the river in Sarah's Creek or on the South side of the river in Wormley Creek.

On the lower Eastern Shore, my wife and I really enjoy Cape Charles. You can anchor there in King's Creek just behind the Bay Creek marina. The water is thin though, so you might brush the bottom at low tide. I spoke with a gentleman there a couple weeks ago that was anchored out and claimed a 5 foot draft, so it is doable. People think highly of Onancock, but it is really quite a hike up the creek from the Bay, and the day we spent there was brutally hot and windless.

Somebody already mentioned Mobjack Bay, which is great. You will find many fewer crab pots now than the gunkholer's guide suggests. A testament to the state of the fisheries. Just North of there we also like Fishing Bay on the Piankatank River. Really beautiful place.

My last suggestion would be Tangier Island. Everybody should see it once. Between the land sinking, the water rising, and the new restrictions on the crabbing and menhaden fisheries Tangier won't be around much longer. Stop and see it while you can. The town museum, put together by a fairly young guy, is really fantastic.

I think it would be worth it to get the most recent version of the gunkholer's guide. We have the 2001 edition and it seems like quite a few businesses are gone after the big recession. The Chesapeake Bay Guide is good to have as well.

Have fun!
Old 06-07-2012, 18:03   #11

Boat: PETERSON 44
Urbanna neat town access to grocery . Reedville as said before. St Mary's river off the potomac. Annapolis access to provision. Neat city. Baltimore harbor access to giant grocery before you get to inner harbor. Much fun to anchor ny the museums St michaels access to provisions. Also a fun town great museum . I'm mentioning provisions as there are not that many places with shore access and easy replenishing of perishable foods. anyone want to add to the provisions places list.
Old 06-07-2012, 18:44   #12

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

St Michaels has one of the few remaining ACME supermarkets on Main street
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 19:10   #13

Boat: Westsail 32

Hampton is a nice place to visit before you pass over the hampton roads tunnel, i quickly read some of the previous post and must have missed Deltaville, Jackson creek is a real nice place to anchor. I will also second Cape Charles, very nice little town, not too much in the way of provisioning though. Have fun and take your time!
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 19:32   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1

A couple nice anchorages not yet mentioned are:
St. Inigoes Creek off the mouth of the Potomac
St.Leonard Creek off Pax River.
And I would be remiss to not mention Easton, Md., home of the Waterfowl(?) Festival in early October. The ride upriver from Oxford, MD to Easton via the Tred Avon is one of the prettiest trips on the bay.
The Fall is the very best time of the year on the bay.
Old 06-07-2012, 19:42   #15

Boat: Prout Manta 38

Gosh, there are so many great spots. If you take a little bit of a jaunt up the Potomac River, you can sail up St. Mary's River to Horseshoe Bend and St. Mary's City. You can dinghy over and have a great breakfast with the students at St. Mary's College and then visit Historic St. Mary's City, which is the oldest city in Maryland. Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll be too late for the Friday night free outdoor concerts.

If you like quiet, beautiful spots, try Smith Creek, also on the Potomac, or St. Leonard's Creek on the Patuxent. You'll get to see the Rhode River during the GAM. It's pretty spectacular lit with 100 anchor lights.

If you need a grocery store, Crisfield has one within walking distance of the harbor. The anchorage is small, the marina is very large and nice. The town isn't anything special, but they do have a crab fair on Labor Day weekend which is fun. Be sure to catch the Docking Contest.

Can't remember if anyone has mentioned Oxford- definitely worth a visit, as is St. Michael's.

There are really to many to list. We use Shellenberger and the Cruising Guide to find spots.

Carrie

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: