Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 17:27   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Chesapeake Bay in July

What is this "work" word you use? It sounds horrible.

I spend my days in back-breaking cramped poses trying to see tiny things through the stinging sweat pouring into my eyes under my old-man cheater glasses that slipped off my nose while dislocating my shoulder enough to just get a wrench 3" away from a nut that needs 4,000,000 ft-lbs of torque to remove and is located within enough space to swing that wrench 1/8". If I could reach it. Or even see it.

This is not "work". It is mental stimulation for creating whole new swear words, and even entire phrases, never before known on this planet. I am a prodigy in this regard - albeit suffering in obscurity because apparently the boats around us do not appreciate true creative genius.

Actually, we came back to the US because we like to have FOX News screaming at us from multiple TV's every place we go. We didn't realize the extent to which the US has evolved culturally, politically and socially in the past 6yrs. Plus we made the mistake of going to a McDonalds and now need to wait a couple of months for our next bowel movement...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 17:51   #32

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

I spend my days in back-breaking cramped poses trying to see tiny things through the stinging sweat pouring into my eyes under my old-man cheater glasses that slipped off my nose while dislocating my shoulder enough to just get a wrench 3" away from a nut that needs 4,000,000 ft-lbs of torque to remove and is located within enough space to swing that wrench 1/8". If I could reach it. Or even see it.

This is not "work". It is mental stimulation for creating whole new swear words, and even entire phrases, never before known on this planet. I am a prodigy in this regard - albeit suffering in obscurity because apparently the boats around us do not appreciate true creative genius.

Actually, we came back to the US because we like to have FOX News screaming at us from multiple TV's every place we go. We didn't realize the extent to which the US has evolved culturally, politically and socially in the past 6yrs. Plus we made the mistake of going to a McDonalds and now need to wait a couple of months for our next bowel movement...

Mark
A classic! Can a single post be made a "sticky" or something?? Honorable mention at least? Best one I've read in awhile!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 18:08   #33

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:

Mark
If you want to see a different bunch of idiots screaming at you, just go west a bit to DC.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:20   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

Mark
Yeah, I changed out the transmission/gearbox on one of my diesel engines on this Bristol without removing the engine in 96 degree heat so I kinda know the feeling.

As for Fox News (the comedy channel), it's simply ridiculous and I flip by it as quickly as possible should I happen to land on it when playing with the remote.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:37   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Well, we have been in the Chesapeake Bay for 2 weeks now and the weather the entire time we have been here has mostly been 80-85* with <50% humidity and a 10-14kt breeze. A couple of short late afternoon/night rain showers, but no bugs at all. We have been cold at night when the temps drop to the low 70's.

Either the people above don't know what hot, humid and buggy is (we have been in Central America for the past few years so maybe our yardstick is different), or this is record nice weather for July/August in the Chesapeake.

Either way, we'll take it.

Mark

Yeah, it's been very unusual this year. June was record wet, and we've had a string of 90° days in July... but tempered with sometimes-decent humidity, sometimes decent breezes, and cool nights. To add perspective, we don't as a rule anchor out in July or August... but this July we could have enjoyed several nights on the hook. And we've seen sailboats -- both mono and cat -- actually sailing!

-Chris
Old 06-08-2015, 04:23   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 41' Island Trader
Send a message via MSN to CaptainPatty Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainPatty

I sail everywhere, east and west coast, Atlantic or Pacific and beyond.
CaptainPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:31   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As for Fox News (the comedy channel), it's simply ridiculous and I flip by it as quickly as possible should I happen to land on it when playing with the remote.
If only we could flip by it. We don't have a TV. I'm talking about all the commercial places that have stuck TV's everywhere that are locked on FOX news. Even at the gas station, there is a TV or two at every pump island screaming at you. Any restaurant, convenience store, grocery store, airport (which usually have the competing screaming CNN also), bus station, etc all have TV's stuck everywhere with (almost uniformly) FOX news framed on some talking head screaming at you.

We are aghast at this and cannot understand what those talking heads are screaming at us for. They almost have foam coming out of their mouths, and when they bring on another person, that person starts screaming at us.

I'm not using the term "screaming" figuratively, like the TV is too loud or something. I mean these people are literally screaming at us. We can't figure out what we have done wrong - we are just pumping gas or buying a soda for god's sake.

I don't know why all of the businesses do this to us, but everyone else doesn't seem to even notice the TVs screaming at them, so it must be a cultural/social shift that took place while we were gone for the past 6yrs. Maybe it is now like taxis honking in NYC - just part of the environment.

It will be good to get away from it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:32   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatty View Post
I sail everywhere, east and west coast, Atlantic or Pacific and beyond.
Have you sailed Pickwick, Sardis, or Arkabutla Lakes yet?

If not, it will add to your resume when you do...............

Watch out for those tree stumps though in those two TVA Lakes when the water is low
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11   #39

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
If only we could flip by it. We don't have a TV. I'm talking about all the commercial places that have stuck TV's everywhere that are locked on FOX news. Even at the gas station, there is a TV or two at every pump island screaming at you. Any restaurant, convenience store, grocery store, airport (which usually have the competing screaming CNN also), bus station, etc all have TV's stuck everywhere with (almost uniformly) FOX news framed on some talking head screaming at you.

We are aghast at this and cannot understand what those talking heads are screaming at us for. They almost have foam coming out of their mouths, and when they bring on another person, that person starts screaming at us.

I'm not using the term "screaming" figuratively, like the TV is too loud or something. I mean these people are literally screaming at us. We can't figure out what we have done wrong - we are just pumping gas or buying a soda for god's sake.

I don't know why all of the businesses do this to us, but everyone else doesn't seem to even notice the TVs screaming at them, so it must be a cultural/social shift that took place while we were gone for the past 6yrs. Maybe it is now like taxis honking in NYC - just part of the environment.

It will be good to get away from it.

Mark
Actually comforting to know they're screaming at you, Mark. All this time I thought they were screaming at me. Now that we're well into another election cycle, the screaming will only get louder. In b'twn all the commercials of course. Nice that you get to leave it all behind.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23   #40

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We got rid of TV at home 15 years ago because it is all trash sensationalism. Now the TV sets and Fox Noise is everywhere. Nice to be at anchor away from it all.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:33   #41

Still waiting for this dreaded Chesapeake summer weather. Went for a sail yesterday in 83F and 40% humidity sunny weather. It is a sunny 84F and 52% humidity today. These low 60's temps at night have us breaking out blankets for the first time in 6 years.

We have had more wicked weather in San Diego…

Mark

Old 15-08-2015, 11:16   #42

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

It's pretty strange, this year. Could even leave the hatches open at night sometimes, not at all common around here in July or August. No complaints here, of course!

-Chris
Old 15-08-2015, 14:07   #43

I was at Kiptopeke last nite. I think it got down to 68 or so.

Did a little kayaking and hiking this am then sailed back across.

It's amazing how many stars you can see without light pollution.

We did have a month or so of really hot weather though which disappeared about the time Mark came back up here looking for work and a place to watch TV for free.

Tags
chesapeake bay