Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 15:24   #16

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Chesapeake Bay in July

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That's because you were in Annapolis. The bay is very narrow up there.

You have to sail to the rural areas further south. Eastern Shore side is best for catching the SW breeze in the evening.

There aren't a lot of good anchorages but there are a few like Parker's Marsh that I mentioned. (Kiptopeke isn't bad if the wind stays SW and doesn't get above 10 knots or so)

Also, seems lots of folks have been using too much a/c. We didn't even have a/c until like the 1970's in most homes on the Eastern Shore but I cannot remember it being too hot unless I was on a tractor in the middle of a field cultivating.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cult...ating+soybeans+
I'm keeping my boat down in Norfolk these days, so it's nice to have all the local insight & knowledge, thomm. Thank you!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 15:54   #17
Marine Service Provider

The best advice is to try to be in a safe spot by 4 pm....just keep an eye out to the west and northwest...listen for crackling on the vhf...when it comes to t-storms, TRUST the weather reports but dont worry about the 24 or 36 or 72 hr forecast--the forecast is the same here from May through October--chance of T storms every afternoon.... If caught get a compass readin on a safe course and get sails down, follow theat safe course in fwd gear to keep nose in wind--and wait it out..they pass quickly....put on your ppfd, get sails down early and stowed....stay inside of all rigging and bimin frame etc and dont touch metal. unplug electronics if possible...of course if antenna or mast is hit vhf may get fried anyhow......beware of sudden drop in temp and maybe wind shift with storm.....99% of the time it is plain old scary...1 percent of the time it might be deadly if you're not prepared...so again be in a safe place by 4 pm and you are likely to be ok...
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 17:25   #18

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

I'll add my 2 pence... yes it's hot in July/ August... yes, I do a lot of night sailing during those months. But it's not the heat alone so much as the combination of heat and humidity that makes it tough. So I tip is get up early. Like 6-6:30a, or even earlier and get underway. You may have to motor since it's usually very little wind that early in the Sumner. If you go North up the Bay from Deltaville, or do a zig-zag to destinations from day to day on opposite sides of the Bay, most destinations are only 3-4 hour sail/ motor and that will get you to port before the afternoon possible TSs. Since the Bay N of Deltaville narrows to 7-5 miles wide zipping back and forth is easy and if a TS starts to show it's head... you're never very far from one shore or the other. Most TSs travel from West to East. Back to the humidity... it greatly reduces the visibility to less than a mile or two during these months so don't try to rely on visual signs of approaching storms. Las other have said monitor marine wx channel frequently and phone radar wx apps (Weather Channel & MyRadar are both excellent). Chesapeake Bay has for the most part a very muddy bottom (no rocks, coral) and very shallow shorelines... so other than a very low possibility of dragging an anchor into shallow water during a TS squall reasonable alert seamanship should keep you informed well enough to have plenty of tine to either make your intended port or duck into a protected alternative for 30-60 minutes until it blows over. I always have a 'easy in/ out' 'duck in' spot in mind as I travel on the Bay during July-August. Gailsville, up the West River has a nice restaurant and you can anchor or dock. Almost directly across from the West and Rhode Rivers, over on the Eastern Shore of the Bay is St Michaels, a beautiful boating friendly town with plenty of anchoring or marina slip and restaurants, groceries, shopping, Chesapeake Bay Maritime, and so much more... all right in front of you as you come into the protected harbor. If you rather just have quiet anchoring out... the Wye River is on the way to St Micheals and is full of quiet/ private coves/ protected anchorages that you could spend a week just there. And of course Annapolis is a must! They have city moorings/ with a water taxi and plenty of marina docking. But as someone said, get a Chesapeake Bay Cruising Book and read up and pick your own spots. Have a great vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:00   #19

Boat: Catalina 42 2001

All good advice based on years of experience. My advice based on my 30 + years on the bay would be be tucked in and on the hook or marina by 3 or 4 an you'll miss just about all the weather action out on the bay. Also yes the trends say hot ,humid and no wind but it's weather and I've had some awesome sailing on the Bay that time of year bot North and South. Enjoy your month and the people you'll meet and places you will see. I'd love have you stop by our place but I'll be sailing in Maine where it's cooler (-:
Old 29-06-2015, 18:43   #20

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
The best advice is to try to be in a safe spot by 4 pm....just keep an eye out to the west and northwest...listen for crackling on the vhf...when it comes to t-storms, TRUST the weather reports but dont worry about the 24 or 36 or 72 hr forecast--the forecast is the same here from May through October--chance of T storms every afternoon.... If caught get a compass readin on a safe course and get sails down, follow theat safe course in fwd gear to keep nose in wind--and wait it out..they pass quickly....put on your ppfd, get sails down early and stowed....stay inside of all rigging and bimin frame etc and dont touch metal. unplug electronics if possible...of course if antenna or mast is hit vhf may get fried anyhow......beware of sudden drop in temp and maybe wind shift with storm.....99% of the time it is plain old scary...1 percent of the time it might be deadly if you're not prepared...so again be in a safe place by 4 pm and you are likely to be ok...
You guys aren't on the Bay tourist board, are you.

1% of the time it might be deadly? Really? Sheesh.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:49   #21

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Chesapeake Bay in July

Hey, if you want to sail where it is always 75 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is always 15-18 out of the Northwest then leave the Chesapeake Bay and come sail in Southern California. And no thunderstorms.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:58   #22

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR

All of these negative comments. The poor guy has booked his charter, so give him some help.
Yes July and August are hot, but that why it's called summer.
The forecasts typically say 30% chance of rain.. That's just I case it actually rains then the forecaster can say he was right. If thunderstorms are forecast as 50% or more, then you. Might get a passing storm , but usually brief and the back to sun.
Be sure your charter boat has a Bimini... You will want to get out of the sun.
Temps do cool down in the evening... A little.
We sail all summer long, anchor out a lot and visit marinas when near by.
We don't swim after July 1 due to jelly fish.
Drink lots of water and buy gallon jugs so you can pour it over your head.
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 06:28   #23

Boat: Outbound 46

Don't let all the negative posts get you down. We have spent several weeks on the Chesapeake in two separate summers, and we had a great time. For a charter from Deltaville, I would definitely make my way up to Solomons, and then to Annapolis. There are several great inlets to stay in along the way, peaceful and quiet.

We never had air conditioning, and never missed it. And never stayed in a marina.

You will certainly experience lightening, and it can be scary. But strikes are actually quite rare. You don't worry so much about the electronics when its a charter boat. The squalls definitely have higher winds, and the rains can be intense, but they are short-lived. We have one family memory where I made my wife try to pick up a mooring in a downpour, with 30 kt gusts. She still hasn't 100% forgiven me.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:34   #24

A lot of useful info here to digest. Many thanks to you all for taking the time to help me.
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:44   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeausoleil View Post
Sail at night. Only madmen sail the Chesapeake in mid-summer ...
This is a fine idea if one is on passage, but in practical terms it may not be a suitable option for many. OTOH, getting going in the early AM and making the next destination in advance of the real summer heat works well. The reason is that "the next stop" on the Bay is usually not far and in addition there are so many possibilities that making a choice is often the hardest part of trip planning.
Old 05-08-2015, 13:56   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Well, we have been in the Chesapeake Bay for 2 weeks now and the weather the entire time we have been here has mostly been 80-85* with <50% humidity and a 10-14kt breeze. A couple of short late afternoon/night rain showers, but no bugs at all. We have been cold at night when the temps drop to the low 70's.

Either the people above don't know what hot, humid and buggy is (we have been in Central America for the past few years so maybe our yardstick is different), or this is record nice weather for July/August in the Chesapeake.

Either way, we'll take it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 14:12   #27

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, we have been in the Chesapeake Bay for 2 weeks now and the weather the entire time we have been here has mostly been 80-85* with <50% humidity and a 10-14kt breeze. A couple of short late afternoon/night rain showers, but no bugs at all. We have been cold at night when the temps drop to the low 70's.

Either the people above don't know what hot, humid and buggy is (we have been in Central America for the past few years so maybe our yardstick is different), or this is record nice weather for July/August in the Chesapeake.

Either way, we'll take it.

Mark
Glad to hear that. Some of the posts above sounded downright apocalyptic. In my Unofficial Poll, the Chesapeake is one of the ten best world cruising grounds. And that includes July and August!

Have fun and eat some blue crabs for me
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 16:02   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

And here are the next 10 days:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/23455:4:US

Before you know it, it will be September and temps with in the very low 80's and highs 60's!

With mostly prevailing winds through October.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 17:01   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
And here are the next 10 days:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/23455:4:US

Before you know it, it will be September and temps with in the very low 80's and highs 60's!

With mostly prevailing winds through October.
Even a bit more moderate in the Northern half: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMD0010:1:US

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 17:03   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Even a bit more moderate in the Northern half: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMD0010:1:US

Mark
Nice. Does this mean you are going back to work Mark?

We all know you need more mental stimulation than arguing with folks on CF?

There's chess.com but even that gets old.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay