Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:59   #1

CHESAPEAKE BAY

MOTORING FROM NORFOLK TO HERRING BAY, MD:
PLEASE RECOMMEND OVERNIGHT STOP(S).
yarokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:26   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: CHESAPEAKE BAY

On the East side, there's Cape Charles, Onancock, and Crisfield. Occohannock and Pungoteague Creeks are nice also if you do not draw too much and don't need a restaurant.

Crisfield may be a little off your track though, but there is also Tangier if it hasn't become a tourist trap these days.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:37   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I would stick to the western side of the bay if you want to make time. Lots of places to anchor, if that's what you mean by "stops." If you're looking for marinas that's a different thing. Good anchorage can be found in Dividing Creek, Deltaville, and Solomon's Island is about your last good stop before Herrington Harbor.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:00   #4

Thank you.
Yes, I would definitely prefer the western side.
Could be anchorage or marina.
My draft is 4.5'
Old 07-06-2013, 06:00   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

For a more direct route, I agree with John: The western side...plenty of anchorages just off the bay from Deltaville to the Great Wicomico River, then not much until Solomons Island. My favorite is the Mill Creek near the mouth of the Great Wicomico. Hope you have a nice cruise (and wait for this mess to move through first!).
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:02   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Hope you have a nice cruise (and wait for this mess to move through first!).
Good point! Don't leave until Sunday after Andrea has cleared out, and have a much nicer trip.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06   #7

No problem with that draft...lots of nice anchorages. Tons of marinas in Deltaville, then a few scattered up the coast to the Potomac. Then again, not much until Solomon's Island. Many websites will have a marina search (including ours) to match the amenities you need...but this is an area where anchoring can't be beat...lots of pretty anchorages, lots of room, lots of protection, and typically great holding.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56   #8

Smith Point looks like a good mid-point, but am concerned with report of shoaling at the Wicomico entrance.
Any up-to-date info here?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:00   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Go with Mill Creek off the Great Wicomico, as MikeA (Waterway Guide) suggested. It's one of the best anchorages on the Bay, in my opinion. Do not try the Little Wicomico at Smith Point. I was never brave enough to try to get in there.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08   #10

As nice as the Little Wic is, the jetty needs to be built up. They dredged it a couple years ago and it immediately started filling in (the instructions to get in are 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back of each one...:-) ) Stick with Mill Creek...it's nicer anyway...not many houses. There's even a nice winery/restaurant (Jacey) you can dinghy to their dock...I think they'll even pick you up in their golf cart to bring you up the hill.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46   #11

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I can't argue with any of the recommendations above, although the one time I anchored in Mill Creek I was eaten alive that night by mosquitoes and black flies - something that can happen anywhere on the Chesapeake.
If it is a hot day when you approach the G. Wicomico, then I recommend anchoring in the bay behind Sandy Pt. on the River. You can catch a breeze from just about any direction and it is quick and easy to get in and out. The downside is there can be a lot of water skiers and PWCs, but they disappear before dark. You are also a little closer to the Menhaden processing plants in Reedville. If the wind is out of the N-E you will get to enjoy that aroma.
From the G. Wicomico it is an full day's run to Herrington Harbor, but if you're not in a hurry head up the Potomac to the Coan, Yeocomico, St. Marys Rivers and Smith Creek. You can also spend a number of days cruising the Patuxent River.

Hope you are secure for the next few days while Andrea moves through your area.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:45   #12

We anchored in Solomon's near to the Holiday Inn about this time 2 years ago. Did not have a problem with mosquitoes, but in the morning the entire boat (47ft) was covered in a blue deposit, kind of like blue pollen. Appears to have been some sort of microscopic bug that just covered the boat and died or **** all over the place!! Fortunately most of it washed off easily.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Solomon's Island, with several marinas and a good anchorage, offers many shoreside amenities: restaurants, bars, shops, maritime museum, marine services...

-Chris
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59   #14

Boat: gozzard 44

Chrisjs,

I believe they were mayflies leaving little blue deposits. The droppings are water soluable but, remarkably, I found acetone had no effect on removing them!

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59   #15

After an 8-hour cruise from Norfolk, we are safely anchored at Mill Creek, indeed the most beautiful anchorage since we left Miami 3 weeks ago.

Thank you so very much to you all great good samaritans!!!