Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 15:36   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Talking Chesapeake 4th of July

Hello all. I’m here to share news about my weekend sailing on the Chesapeake. Through serendipity I have been lucky enough to hook up with a group of fantastic sailing enthusiasts based out of Deale, MD. We took off out of Selby Bay Friday afternoon and headed for Annapolis for the fire work show. We hit a Thunderstorm en-route. While no one would really describe a situation like that enjoyable, we made it through just fine and I was happy to get an experience like that under my belt. After the fire works there was no wind so we had to motor to the anchorage where we’d spend the night. Again, I was happy to be on the water at night, learning how to read the charts and markers. Even though it was raining the next morning I found my location to be just perfect. Just me alone in the cockpit (I always seem to be the first to wake), enjoying the scenery and watching the birds. The skies cleared, we swam, we relaxed, we enjoyed interesting conversations, and great food. During our night swim we were lucky to have bioluminescent plankton create a little magic show for us. Anchors up after breakfast, and then we headed south toward Deale. Very light wind and had to motor about half way. Finally a little breeze allowed us a nice leisurely sail back. The weekend was pure remedy for me. I shared it with good friends and new friends. I didn’t have to step foot on land for 2 ½ days, and I even misplaced the flip flops! So hard to step foot on land and have to wear shoes again! I’m thrilled to be finally taking those steps toward my dream………..Now when to sell the house, buy the boat, anchors up………..What a vicious little bug bite
I posted this in two forums where I lurk. I’d just like to share.
Cheers, Judy
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 16:06   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Judy, and welcome to a great forum. I can here your enthusiasm!.
Quote:
What a vicious little bug bite
Could you tell us were the bug bit you? (just kidding ).

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 16:12   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Judy,
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you had a great experience. Enjoy!
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:52   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Judy.

Sounds like a perfect way to spend Independence Day! If you didn't see Alexei's similar post, you'll enjoy reading it: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/july-4th-postmortem-17005.html
Sounds like you two experienced the same thunderstorm.

Welcome to Cruisers Forum!
Old 15-07-2008, 03:17   #5

What an interesting story about Independance Day and welcome to the Forum.
Old 15-07-2008, 16:42   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Thanks every one for all of the warm welcomes. Yes, indeed it was quite an “Independence” Day, and on several levels. Thanks for the thought provoking analogy Henry. See, that’s what I mean, that’s what the conversations were like! It just has something to do with being on, or in the water, and the sailing community in general.

So, since then I had the opportunity to go out again and I can’t wait for the next opportunity. Call it addiction, obsession, passion…….what ever you like. To me now, I think of it being as necessary as taking my next breath. I am becoming really challenged in a “patience with the dream” department. I’m crunching numbers, searching boats and marinas, real estate agents, and even contemplating xl charts of the plan! It’s not a question of what to do; it’s a question of how to do. I’m confident I’ll meet resolution one day. I’ve been known to be strong willed.

Judy
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote