Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 13:48   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Checked-Out in Venezuela ?

I would enjoy exploring the Playa de los Aves Island and Los Roques, Venezuela this summer from a base in Curacao. I do not have enough time to stay more than 10 days so checking in and especially checking out on the mainland of Venezuela is not desirable. Is there any way to explore the offshore Islands without going to a mainland Venezuelan port to check in and out? Are there any customs brokers who will handle your paperwork from Los Roches?

Also, if I do go to the mainland to check out I have read that I can probably check back into Bonaire without checking out of Venezuela. Has anyone actually done this? Is Bonaire or Curacao lax on you proving that you have checked out of Venezuela? If so please inform to how it turned out.

The other concern I have is I hear it takes days to check in or out sometimes. Does anyone have any advice to avoid long check in or check out times in this country?

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 16:19   #2

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
It shouldn't be too difficult as I believe that Los Roques is one of the places which has a Capitana de Puerto who can issue a Permiso para embarcacion deportiva extranjera ( Permit for foreign sport vessels). Let me check and I shall post details.

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 18:53   #3

It will be nice if you are right but Doyles guide says you cannot check out internationally from Roques...

Keegan
Old 13-02-2008, 17:29   #4

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Keegan,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your thread, but decided to verify the information before posting. Both you (Doyle) and I are correct regarding Los Roches…. The Capitania de Puerto can now register boats, but not people….I know….I know; mad but that’s Venezuela. But the flying Dutchman and the Marie Celeste should they decide to visit can go straight there. You and anyone else, must initially go where they do both.

The Permiso para embarcacion deportiva extranjera ( Permit for foreign sport vessels) are issued without difficulty and immediately as long as boat papers and passports are in order. This is a permission for a maximum of 18 months and must be renewed each six months. NOTE: There is some talk of raising the price substantially. I shall keep you posted.

I confirmed with the Dutch Islands that exiting from Venezuela is unnecessary and will not bar entrance. Therefore on your travels to and from Dutch islands ( You didn’t mention whether you were picking up a boat located in Curacao or sailing there. If the latter then you can obtain permission at the locations listed in Doyle and cruise the area up to six months on the original

Should it be the former, then you have La Vela de Coro ++58 268 747 1144 N11.28.77:W69 34 76. This maybe better as it’s the smallest and as such will not have as much of commercial traffic.

Puerto de Capitania de Puerto Cabello ++58 242 361 8448

Capitania de Puerto la Guaira ++58 212 332 6148 04 7985

( The last two will depend on how busy they are on the day you arrive which will determined if you are delayed.)

It shouldn’t be necessary to use the services of a broker but there is no doubt that these offices can get very busy. However generally where I sail we need a permission each time we leave( even if only for a dinghy ride) and as long as you are within the opening times it is expedited in minutes.

I shall update you when I can confirm the new price for the permit however if I can help you in any other way please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 21:35   #5

THANK YOU for checking on all of this, I appreaciate the info and hopefully others will too!!:cubalibre

Keegan
Old 14-02-2008, 02:16   #6

How friendly is Venezuela to American sailors with all the political tension between our two countries these days?
gobi1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 05:57   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
No problem for visiting Americans (although I wouldn't recommend putting up an autographed picture of George Bush in the main saloon). I am not going to get into politics, but can tell you that I have been on Margarita Island for 3 months out of the last 15 and have met numerous Americans who will confirm that the locals hold no animosity towards Americans. They do hold a grudge against Bush,however, who they perceive (with some sound reason and international support) for having had the CIA finance the coup attempt against Chavez in 2002.

That being said, in Cruising World magazine, I believe it was the January 2007 issue although I do not have it at hand, there is an article by an American couple on 'Cruising the Islands off the Coast of Venezuela'. They indicated that it was not only their favorite cruising grounds in all of the Caribbean, but also that they sensed none of the simmering animosity that they experienced in so many of the other large islands.

There are some issues with respect to crime (although the worst seem to be off Robledal, a beautiful yet isolated anchorage on the undeveloped side of the island). I have read nothing similar about Los Roques and, when one considers the huge number of yachts anchored at any one time in Porlamar, very few there as well.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela