Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 15:17   #1

Cheap, secure marinas in Boston and NYC?

Hello all,

I'm doing some planning for a trip this summer. I was looking for some recommendations on cheap, but reasonably secure marinas in Boston and NYC. Just looking to explore the cities for a couple days each around the end of July.

Price is the number one factor right now, not looking for luxury. Would also consider a mooring, if there was a secure tender dock I could use.

Appreciate any suggestions.
ElCapt Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 16:03   #2

Re: Cheap, secure marinas in Boston and NYC?

I would recommend docking in Stamford, Connecticut. The express train to 125th street, Manhattan is a 20 minute ride.

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 16:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
I would recommend docking in Stamford, Connecticut. The express train to 125th street, Manhattan is a 20 minute ride.

That is a possibility. Potentially looking at taking the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario though, so I need to pass by NYC anyway.
Old 31-01-2017, 16:34   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I'm from the Boston area. I spend several weeks a year on a mooring in Boston.
I have spent time in a marina there as well.
Boston Waterboat Marina is the only place close to downtown Boston that has moorings. They are a small family business and I have been very happy with them. Friendly.
That is my go to place. Walking distance form the North End and the wonderful Italian grocers, butchers, greengrocers and restaurants. Walk from dinghy to work for me.
They also have slips but are not quite as well sheltered from the southeast as the marinas in Charlestown. They have a significant year round liveaboard community
Boston is a walking city.
In Charlestown there are Constitution Marina and the newly renovated Charlestown Marina. I don't know much about the Charlestown Marina but I have spent time at their sister marina in Provincetown and been pleased.
Constitution Marina has a large year round liveaboard community and is well protected. It is a slightly longer (15 mins) walk to the North End.
I have spent a few days there and been very happy. Again, a friendly comfortable feeling.
None of these are bad choices.
I am in Boston (on land) a few hundred days every year. I think of the areas near these facilities as safe and welcoming local, residential, business, and tourist areas.

Enjoy and ask for more info if you need it.

ps
Boston Harbor is a busy place. Ferries, booze cruise boats, airplanes overhead (Logan international is IN the harbor,) sailboats, cruise ships, fireboats, tugs, LNG tankers, gasoline barges, freighters, Coast Guard cutters and more. The channels are very wide and there is a LOT of room for everyone. Never an issue for me. Actually great sightseeing!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 17:12   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Boston Harbor Sailing Club has transient moorings and limited launch service (day only), no showers. You can tie up a dinghy at Rowes Warf (I recommend you use a cable lock because there's nobody watching). We stayed there at a very low cost few years ago. Great spot right off the Boston Aquarium, short walk from Fanuel Hall. Check ActiveCaptain notes.

In NYC vicinity there are many places, but I recommend Manhasset Bay or Hempstead Harbor. There are threads about this on this board so use the search.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 17:19   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Steppingstone Marina in Great Neck, western most Long Island sound. On the sound directly south of City Is.
My marina, moorings only but have launch service to 11 p.m. most nights
and 24hr. security. Long Island railroad express service to heart of Manhatan is 22 minutes. No charge, advise if interest.
No services at Steppingstone but Manhasset bay is 1 mile away to the east and in the bay you will find all services, a WM, a large Stop n Shop, all a short walk from the 2 town docks.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

There are plenty of options in NYC or nearby and Boston but cheap they will not be. At least not if your definition of cheap is anything like mine.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:17   #8

ElCapt Drew,

I can weigh in here for the NYC part of your trip. I say if you're going to sail to NYC, stay in NYC. It's an amazing place to visit by boat, especially with a little local knowledge.

You said money is a big consideration, and NYC marinas aren't cheap, so I'd say start with the NYC Parks marinas. The 79th st boat basin is the most popular because it's in Manhattan. They have have transient spots, but there's not much there aside from docks, moorings, and a nice restaurant.
https://activecaptain.com/quickLists...NY&i=328267002

Also, just remember that the tidal current on the Hudson runs fast (sometimes over 2 knots), so time your trips on the Hudson with the tide.

There are other Parks Dept marinas in nearly all the boros of the city (https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/boating). My suggestion is to get on Active Captain and look at them.

My personal favorite marina in the NYC area is not a Parks Dept Marina though, it's Liberty Landing. I've stayed there numerous times. They have fuel, a restaurant, a ships store, mechanic, etc. The views of Manhattan are amazing, the facilities are super nice, it's just a short hop to cruise by the Freedom Tower and the Statue of Liberty. (Last time I cruised by the statue though, the coast guard was maintaining a security perimeter, so don't get too close.) The problem is that at $4 a foot LL is pricey... however, it's still cheaper than a Manhattan hotel room. I highly recommend treating yourself to staying there at least one night.

Perhaps most importantly, Liberty Landing marina and Hudson Point Marina (just North of LL) are fully protected from ferry wakes. The ferry wakes on the Hudson River should not be underestimated. I slept on a sailboat in Newport Marina (which has a "wave attenuation system") and I didn't get a wink of sleep. I'm not exaggerating about the ferry wakes... unless you're a real salty sailor accustomed to sleeping in a washing machine you're going to want to be in a protected marina on the Hudson.

While I'm on the subject of ferries... my other piece of advice is give way and stay away. They haul a$$ and generally don't respect the rules of the road out there, so I just give them a wide berth. Of course, give a wide berth to the tankers and the other big boys as well.

I will be keeping my boat on Sheepshead Bay this year. It's protected and it's cheap. There are parks dept facilities there as well as a number of yacht clubs which would probably give you a transient spot. However, it's a couple hours cruising up to see the sights around Manhattan.

As far as security goes, I have never had an issue with theft or anything around here. Just lock your companionway and don't leave expensive stuff out in plain view on the boat. NYC (and especially Manhattan) is just not a scary place anymore. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and be safe. Happy to answer any questions.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:01   #9

Just another piece of advice if you're going to come in from Long Island Sound, through Hell Gate, and down the East River: It's a very cool cruise down the East side of Manhattan, but the tidal currents through Hell Gate and the East River are the stuff of nightmares if you hit them wrong.

I found this site to be very helpful when I planned my first Hell Gate/East River passage - East River - Planning for a Fair Current or Slack Water
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25   #10

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

they use to have free moorings in Port Washington, Manhasset Bay, i think they were for a couple of days, not sure. Services and transportation are close by.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 15:01   #11

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
ElCapt Drew,

I will be keeping my boat on Sheepshead Bay this year. It's protected and it's cheap. There are parks dept facilities there as well as a number of yacht clubs which would probably give you a transient spot. However, it's a couple hours cruising up to see the sights around Manhattan.
Can you tell me more about Sheepsead Bay marina's? I am looking for a "liveaboard" marina in NYC and having trouble finding a good one, but Sheepshead bay has several i'm interested in.

I'm not a "pile of junk on the boat, no sails, engine is broken" liveaboard, just a full time cruiser that doesn't have a land-side home to go back to. So i live on the boat, which is well-kept and functional and used as a boat, and would like to visit NYC for about a year. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of all the marinas i can find in the area which may be helpful for this thread: here but feel free to message me off-list so we don't thread hijack about sheepshead bay?
Vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 15:24   #12

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Hello Cpt. Drew.

I have several boats here and there are no cheap marinas in The City, aka Manhattan. As several have pointed out, the 79th Street Boat Basin is probably the most cost effective. Again, as has been pointed out, the current and waves from ferries are not to be underestimated. Having said that, many do this. There is the #1 train subway stop at 79th and Broadway, so it is only a ten minute walk to the stop.

Someone also mentioned Liberty Landing Marina. It is one of the nicest marinas in the area but not cheap. it is however very calm and well protected. The big downside is that it is difficult and time consuming to get to if you want to be out after 20:30 or so. The ferries stop running then and when that happens you are looking at an hour plus each way. First you have to talk the PATH train to NJ, then the light rail down to the Liberty Park stop, then a fifteen or twenty minute walk to your boat. It's not a horrible trip but it is long when you're tired. A cab will cost you $100 to go through the tunnel to the marina, each way.

Newport Marina in Jersey City isn't too bad and if you are most of the way into the marina, the rocking isn't too bad. A trip into civilization will take between 30 and 45 minutes depending upon how well you time your arrival at the train station.

There are some marinas in outlying areas where you can take the LIRR into the city and those will be less but will take an hour or so to get in. The good news is that it is the train so you can relax, nap, etc. on the way in.

Of all the options, the 79th street boat basin will probably be the most cost effective and easiest transport wise. If you want to message me I can assist you with locations, tides, etc.

It's a great trip through the East River, the sound, etc. You will enjoy it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 18:59   #13

Really appreciate all the suggestions guys. I probably should have rephrased my wording to "relatively cheap" marinas. I've never cruised to a mega city like NYC and I just don't want to end up spending $120+/night if I don't have to.

I'll definitely check out all the suggest given and see what's best for me.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:21   #14

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I would suggest to look into marinas in City Island, Manhasset Bay and New Rochelle, they are all within an hour from NYC by public transport and have affordable marinas, most important you want safety and storm protection for a year stay.
Good luck and enjoy NYC
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:36   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
........... My personal favorite marina in the NYC area is not a Parks Dept Marina though, it's Liberty Landing. I've stayed there numerous times. They have fuel, a restaurant, a ships store, mechanic, etc. The views of Manhattan are amazing, the facilities are super nice, it's just a short hop to cruise by the Freedom Tower and the Statue of Liberty. (Last time I cruised by the statue though, the coast guard was maintaining a security perimeter, so don't get too close.) The problem is that at $4 a foot LL is pricey... however, it's still cheaper than a Manhattan hotel room. I highly recommend treating yourself to staying there at least one night.
I've been planning a trip to NYC and beyond, to the Erie Canal. My research tells me that Liberty Landing is probably the marina of choice as well. $4.00 per foot plus electricity and that's by the foot as well. Surprisingly, that is one of the least expensive marinas in the NYC area that I found. NYC is not cheap.

Quote:
While I'm on the subject of ferries... my other piece of advice is give way and stay away. They haul a$$ and generally don't respect the rules of the road out there, so I just give them a wide berth. Of course, give a wide berth to the tankers and the other big boys as well.
Funny you should post that advice. That's what I always do but there are some folks on this forum who will insist that the ferries and commercial ships will conform to the COLREGS and alter course to let your little recreational boat pass.

Tags
cheap, marinas, nyc