Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 16:02   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 1987
Chartering in Antigua Dec 26-New Year's Day

Looking for suggestions on great anchorages and points of interest for myself and my crew during an 8 day charter. Suggestions for itinerary? Best place to spend New Year's Eve? Any other tips would be very helpful! Thanks a lot!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 16:04   #2

Re: Chartering in Antigua Dec 26-New Year's Day

Lucky dog!
Have fun....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 16:35   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

Thank you Flyingriki! Woof!
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:26   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

We will be there also - hope to see you.

I've never been to Antigua so can't offer a suggestion. From the pilot books, it looks like there are plenty of spots. We will probably head over to Barbuda around the 28th then head to St. Barths for New Years.
Old 30-06-2017, 23:08   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I like Antigua and sail around there quite a bit. Depending upon your draft, timescale and whether you want amenities ashore there are numerous anchorages available to you.

I like Deep Bay and then Five Islands next door. Then there's the anchorage outside of Jolly Harbour or you can go into the marina and stay there. From there you can stay inside of Cades Reef if your draft is shallow enough (and the charter company allows it), and continuing counterclockwise the next anchorages with facilities ashore are Falmouth Harbour and English Harbour. I prefer Falmouth as the holding is better and it is easy to find a spot in 20 feet or less while English gets more crowded with just a thin dusting of sand over rock to hold you in place. The next anchorage is my favorite - Green Island.

The picture below was taken a month ago with Zanshin anchored off Green Island in Nonsuch Bay with a foot of water under the keel in windstill conditions while the 15 knot trades outside are blowing.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:22   #6

Hi there - I live in Antigua. You got good advice but here a few more. Deep Bay is nice but can get roly. There is a wreck - good snorkeling site. The whole west coast can get untenable in case of NW-swells - pretty rare when you are there. On the South coast there is Carlisle Bay - well protected but can get roly as well, excellent snorkeling. My favourite area is the North sound with Long Island, Little Bird, Great Bird, Exchange, Lobster, Rabbit and Maiden. Unfortunately Guiana Island is getting wrecked be a Chines developer - excellent anchorages but beware of the reefs. According to Don Street this is the most dangerous area in this respect in the whole Eastern Caribbean. If you need more advice or - God beware - help you can email me. I volunteer with ABSAR (Antigua Barbuda Search and Rescue)
lazydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54   #7

Boat: PDQ 44i

dittos to the above advice. And add Nonsuch Bay on the east.
dittos to avoiding English Harbour. Falmouth has MUCH better holding and plenty of space. We usually anchor off the beach, or just west of the channel markers for Catamaran Marina.
You can spend a week or two in North Sound. It is protected from north swells.
And then, there's Barbuda. Probably too far to go if you have only a week, though.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 13:52   #8

English Harbour dockyard is the place to be for New Year celebrations. The yacht club usually has something on and everyone is welcome.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, charter