Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 13:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
Send a message via AIM to Island Lover
Charter sail in Caribbean

Does anyone have any advice on where to fly to in the Caribbean, i.e. st. Lucia and where to charter a sail?
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 14:12   #2

Re: Charter sail in Caribbean

Can't beat Belize. Fly into Placencia and talk to Moorings!
mikecin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 14:25   #3

just google it, i just did and there is loads to choose.
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 15:21   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I don't know your experience level, but most first timers chartering in the Caribbean go to the British Virgin Islands. Lots of charter companies to choose from, easy sailing, great weather, on shore attractions, good diving/snorkeling, safe, lots of moorings so no anchoring worries.
Old 31-01-2014, 17:26   #5

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

It mostly depends on what you are looking for.

Very short crossings between islands? Lots of traffic and lineups at restaurants? Then the BVI are what you want.

More widely spaced islands and more sporting crossings in 20 knots and 2 to 3 meter seas? Less boats and no lineups? The Grenadines.

It also depends on what month. February you risk cold fronts in the Northern Caribbean, go south of Antigua. April the weather is fine everywhere.

You will find a good variety of charter boats in all regions of the Caribbean.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Island Lover.

As Hud suggests, look at the BVI.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28   #7

I just flew into Tortola via San Juan for a New Years sail for a week. Chartered with Pro Valor Charters via Capt. Bob Riley cabinchartersailing.com and had an exceptional trip. Already planning the new one! Good luck!
durangoleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 19:23   #8

Durangoleah, which of Pro Valor's boats were you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:56   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTanned View Post
It mostly depends on what you are looking for.

Very short crossings between islands? Lots of traffic and lineups at restaurants? Then the BVI are what you want.
That's generalizing way too much. Go during the peak times during the high season and yes, it will be very busy. Go outside the high season or even certain weeks in the high season and this just isn't the case. Certainly busier than some other areas, but not "lots of traffic and lineups at restaurants"

As others said - BVI is a great place for a first time charter. Lots to see and do. I think its a great place for someone who (like us) owns a boat at home and perhaps the main focus isn't sailing 8 hours every day but enjoying all the other things you can't enjoy at home. We love sailing, but we can do that at home, so we love the BVI for all the other things they offer - great diving, warm water, nice beaches, plus some sailing mixed in.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 09:07   #10

Boat: Cambria 46
Charter sail in Caribbean

Flying to Beef Island Tortola for the BVI's is easy. I've not tried flying to St Vincent for Barefoot Charters or Canouan for the Moorings if the Grenadines is your destination. Anyone had experience with that? I remember the days Moorings were down at the south end of Grenada.

gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 16:49   #11

Boat: Beneteau 41

A different route to fly to BVI is fly to Charlotte Amalie.Stay the day and see some of St Thomas. Next morning catch the ferry to Road Town , check in and pickup your boat. Leaving the same way is kinda cool because you are all tanned up and the St Thomas locals don't know how to treat you. No savings doing it this way. Just different and the ferry ride lets you see a little of the area.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 05:47   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRon View Post
A different route to fly to BVI is fly to Charlotte Amalie.Stay the day and see some of St Thomas. Next morning catch the ferry to Road Town , check in and pickup your boat. Leaving the same way is kinda cool because you are all tanned up and the St Thomas locals don't know how to treat you. No savings doing it this way. Just different and the ferry ride lets you see a little of the area.
Good suggestion. Also there are more flights to choose from to St. Thomas vs. Tortola, the flights are cheaper, and you can avoid flying through Puerto Rico. That airport can be a mess sometimes.

Also, you can get flights to St Thomas and jump on the ferry without staying overnight. Just have to get the timing right.

You should also consider chartering out of Puerto Rico and sailing the Spanish Virgins. It is easy sailing and beautiful cruising grounds. Not as many destinations as BVIs but also not as crowded.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57   #13
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

All great advice. If your a newbie and want more of a "holiday" than a sail I would suggest the BVIs, flying into Tortola is the easiest option.

You can read about it here: Yacht Charter British Virgin Islands | Sailing Holidays British Virgin Islands
Old 13-11-2014, 06:31   #14

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBeat View Post
All great advice. If your a newbie and want more of a "holiday" than a sail I would suggest the BVIs, flying into Tortola is the easiest option.

[/url]

Flying into Tortola is frequently the most expensive option and travel times are frequently longer, because of connections, than flying into St Thomas and then taking a ferry to the BVI. Or you could just charter a boat out of St Thomas and be on your boat minutes after landing.

Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 06:40   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I think where to fly into really depends on where you are coming from. From Mass, we can leave end of day after work and be on the ground in Tortola by 8:30am the next day. Can't do that to St Thomas. For many, St Thomas is better.

I do see people making poor comparisons though. If you are going to compare I think the ferry should be factored in total travel time, plus all the added costs. Tortola is more expensive, but not always that much more. And it is typically less of a hassle with shorter customs lines.. Etc
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charter, rib, sail