Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44   #1

Boat: Hobie 16
Charter in BVIs - Dec 2017

We booked it before Irma and we are still going. Apparently the original boat we booked was destroyed but another one is available. We are going as a family or 5, kids age 12, 9, 6. We don't really care too much about restaurants/bars being open, so as long as we can provision in a grocery store and get some bottled water we'll be fine. Hope that by December that won't be too much of a challenge. What else should we be worried about and/or plan for?
pillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:53   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Charter in BVIs - Dec 2017

I'm glad to hear you are still going.. I suspect you will have the time of your life and see the BVIs in way almost no ones gets to (empty).

Just be carefull about anchoring. Make sure you back down and are confident. The storm may have changed the holding in some locations.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:58   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Depending on where you go, I would be concerned about security of your persons ashore as well as the boat. There is likely to be an uptick in crime in the harder hit areas due to limited resources. I'm sure the charter office will give you all kinds of information when you get there about spots that might be best avoided.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:14   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillars View Post
What else should we be worried about and/or plan for?
A significant lack of infrastructure, including communications from the out islands, the ability to purchase spare parts, availability of emergency medical care, etc?

I am deeply saddened for the people of the Caribbean who were decimated by these storms. I don't think tourism will be a priority for them for a very long time. I appreciate and respect "island time," but the extent of the devastation, coupled with the "soon come" lifestyle, doesn't give me confidence that tourists will be a priority anytime soon. I think the big tourism companies will be anxious to get back to business, but they depend on the local population for labor, and I think those folks will have other priorities. Rightly so. They've lost a lot more than their jobs.

If you really want to go, I would say go without expectations, and with the realization that things could go badly if an emergency arises. If it were me and young kids were involved, I don't believe I would go at this time. I'm not saying that's what you should do, that's just what I would do.

Best, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:43   #5

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillars View Post
We booked it before Irma and we are still going. Apparently the original boat we booked was destroyed but another one is available. We are going as a family or 5, kids age 12, 9, 6. We don't really care too much about restaurants/bars being open, so as long as we can provision in a grocery store and get some bottled water we'll be fine. Hope that by December that won't be too much of a challenge. What else should we be worried about and/or plan for?
I think you will have a great time. Many grocery stores are operating with plenty of stock, including the big Riteway near the Moorings. Full disclosure, I had a Lagoon 42 with TMM that was destroyed by Irma and I was scheduled to be in the BVI now, 9/30 - 10/21. TMM will be up and running by mid-December with a limited fleet (about 9 boats maybe a few more, most brand new arrivals!). I have several friends in the BVI and there is a ton of progress being made on many fronts. Will it be back to "normal" - no, but I really don't think there are any big security concerns. In the immediate aftermath of Irma there was theft and looting, but people were desperate and afraid. Law and order was quickly restored.

I agree one should take precautions, ordinary precautions that one would take on any trip. I think it's great you're going in December, I hope to be there soon. The best way to help the islands make a comeback is for people to continue to visit and charter.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42   #6

A lot of great advice from others. I would also take precautions for mosquitoes. With the age of your youngest children, I would talk with their doctor and specifically ask to make sure they have had their hepatitis vaccinations.
Ari A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter