Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:25   #1

charteing in Cuba

I have been chartering in the Bahamas many years, 70 and 85 ft. Hatteras, 2 crew. Would like to get out of the Bahamas and go to Cuba. I see there are many sailing charter boats. Can anyone give me ant insight about the charter business in Cuba. Thank you very much JBT
jbtsea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: charteing in Cuba

What is your nationality?

There are a number of licensed charter companies - I assume like the tour companies, the state has its hand in the business.

Go Sail Cuba mentions pre-ordering provisions. I imagine this will be important as getting large quantities of anything can be difficult in Cuba. The tourists' stores don't tend to have food, just cigars and alcohol. With communications regulations, that might be another interesting area. Dream Yacht Charter makes a side note that satellite phones and GPS are strictly regulated - the GPS might be of even greater concern to many sailors.

I have never chartered in Cuba, my comments are made on general knowledge and inland travel.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 13:34   #3

green hand: thank you, I have heard about the food problem, and have read other blogs with the same problem on the island. I am trying to gather information. I have found several sail charter operations, they are operating. Being the Capt. and cook of my charter business, if they are doing it then I am sure we can. I am wanting to hear from any sail or motor charter operator on the Island. Thank you, JBT
Old 04-04-2014, 18:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

Hi, as it so happened we have spent some time in Cuba with our 40 Ft Catamaran late Jan early Feb 2014. We were in Cienfuegos, and there we noticed two charter companies (one from Germany, the other from France), mostly Catamarans (Bare boat). The provisioning indeed is cumbersome (we also had sold a charter) but do-able. Communications (internet) is basicaly non existent. GPS, and Sat phone was not a problem. And yes, the state is envolved with these established charter companies. We had a great time, great country, fantastic people, and great sailing...
Best rgds
Pieter and Dora
SV Onda Boa
Blog: www.sailinoceanofdreams.blogspot.com
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JBT.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:16   #6

Pieter, thank you very much for your information.

Tags
Cuba