Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Charleston to Fernandina Beach

Planning to make this outside hop tomorrow if the forecast holds up.

I'm currently weighing up the options of making a straight shot or running the sea bouys much closer in.

The rumb line is a bit shorter, but is 25 nm or so off shore.

I hear that I may pick up a counter current here, but does anyone know how far offshore you need to be to find it ?

Duncan
S/V TALISA
__________________

__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55   #2
Registered User
 
speciald@ocens.'s Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the boat - Carib, Chesapeake
Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Posts: 1,139
You should go straight to St. Mary's entrance. It would be good to schedule your entrance with the tide as it can be swift. The counetr current runs inside the stream but is not important. Just run the rum line but don't aim at the sea buoy as you may meet another boat going the other way. Watch for shrimpers; sometimes they sleep out there.
__________________

__________________
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Thanks Speciald.

Anyone else planning to make this jump tomorrow (Tuesday) ?

I'm expecting to make this in a day / night / day - is that reasonable ?

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_ellison View Post
Thanks Speciald.

Anyone else planning to make this jump tomorrow (Tuesday) ?

I'm expecting to make this in a day / night / day - is that reasonable ?

Duncan
If I remember right it's usually about 35 hours.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:19   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
... any advance on 35 hours ?

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,138
St Mary's Inlet is fairly straightforward. Even in the dark. You can go up to Cumberland Island and anchor or into Fernandina. They now have a mooring field that takes up most of the old anchorage.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:17   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
St Mary's Inlet is fairly straightforward. Even in the dark. You can go up to Cumberland Island and anchor or into Fernandina. They now have a mooring field that takes up most of the old anchorage.
Although the mooring field does cover the anchorage directly across from the marina, there is still lots of available anchoring space in the immediate area at Fernandina. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 18:32   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Thanks guys, great advice as usual.

Looks like I'll be underway tomorrow morning at first light. Will have quite a current to fight leaving Charleston, but only way I can see to do it and still catch the flood tide at St. Mary's.

Weather should be OK, if chilly.

Duncan
S/V TALISA
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 19:51   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Cape Dory 330
Posts: 157
We're planning on leaving Charleston early tomorrow too. Only trying to make it to St Simons though.
I'm not sure if we're going to make it in time for the end of that flood tide, I'm hoping at least to make it there before max ebb around 3pm.
Anyone know what St Simon's is like? Recommendations?

Thx
__________________
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 15:22   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Arrived safely a few ago. Took us around 28 hours averaging 6.0 knots.

Would have been a little sooner, but we hit a wall of 'pea soup' fog close to the entrance to St Mary's channel which slowed us down quite. Managed to run the very long sequence of channel markers, but it was a little scary having super yachts on a tight delivery schedule running the other side of the 100 ft or so channel at 8 - 12 knots when you are groping you way at 3Kn.

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 15:41   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Cape Dory 330
Posts: 157
Hi Duncan,
Thanks for 'lending' me your AIS last night. That big container ship was quite close to me and did not respond to repeated 'motor vessel at position X' calls, until I got the vessel name from you. I have to get AIS, receiver and transponder ideally.

We were aiming for St Simons but passed it by due to the thick fog and to the fact that we'd made good time. We decided to continue to Fernandina in the hope that the fog would have burned off when we got there - thankfully it had.

For anyone making this passage: we arrived at red 14 in the St Mary's channel around 40 minutes before high tide and it seems a good time to hit it, we got a gentle .5knt push into the inlet, then a gentle counter current going up to Fernandina.
__________________
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 17:18   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FL
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Posts: 359
Images: 3
re: AIS
It gives you their MMSI #, so if you have a VHF with DSC capability, you can call them direct. So even if they are not listening, the digital call will get their attention, even if they are not on ch 16. Although I've never tried this myself, it sounds way cool.
Tom
__________________

__________________
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electronics person in Charleston - Also life raft in Charleston? Labatt Marine Electronics 6 04-01-2009 18:34
Passing Through Fernandina Beach, FL Herbseesmoore Other 2 06-09-2008 19:51
Charleston, SC to Fernandina, FL Heron Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 18-11-2007 10:24
VHF Help, Fernandina Beach, FL. Vasco Marine Electronics 14 15-10-2007 16:40
Our trip south from Deale, MD to Fernandina Beach, FL exposure General Sailing Forum 7 22-06-2004 13:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.