Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 08:46   #16

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Cell Phone in Exumas and other Bahamas points.

akbrp,

Did you really mean 10 dollars per day?
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:03   #17

I have project Fi and I've used it all over the Caribbean. It's $10 per gig of data or .01 per byte so if you only use 600 bytes you'll pay $6.00 for the data you used for the month. My bill has never been over $50 for a month and I use my phone the same while traveling as I do stateside. Same as any other cell phone, if you can't see land, very good chance you're not getting signal.
Derek010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:14   #18

I have T-mobile with their unlimited data and 20 cents per minute calls in the Bahamas as part of the standard plan. The data speed is 3G in the Bahamas but adequate for most internet (not video) and email and text. The pay $75 per month which includes unlimited LTE data in the states. In the Bahamas works fine. We got my wife a BTC simm card (data only) for LTE access when needed. This combination works well for us as I am the heavy data user.
KFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:27   #19

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFuller View Post
I have T-mobile with their unlimited data and 20 cents per minute calls in the Bahamas as part of the standard plan. The data speed is 3G in the Bahamas but adequate for most internet (not video) and email and text. The pay $75 per month which includes unlimited LTE data in the states. In the Bahamas works fine. We got my wife a BTC simm card (data only) for LTE access when needed. This combination works well for us as I am the heavy data user.
Sounds like T-Mobile plan is identical to Sprint. Sprint calls the international plan Global Roaming.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:38   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFuller View Post
I am on the "unlimited" plan with TM, too, and it "is" unlimited, but you have a potential for throttling data speed once you get past 26 or some similar Gigabyte number, subject to local network congestion - which means you might not see any slowdown. Our personal experience is very close to 1G/day here in the US, but I also have a very good WiFi system (from rstewart@islandtimepc.com - Bob is a CLOD and therefore understands our issues and is by far the most customer service oriented fellow I have ever met, as well as being the kind of geek you want for that. My computer and WiFi are his, for which I paid, having no interest in Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC other than being a VERY satisfied customer - but I digress...) so we use that when we have a good connection, too. Back to the Bahamas...

BTC uses GSM phones, so if you have one of the other, it won't help to try to get their chip. I've not yet had a chance to try roaming, but I can tell you for certain that the BTC throughput I experienced is better than anyplace, with any connection, that I have experienced in the US, whether in a home with 100G service or anywhere or any how any other connection. So, while I'll try out the T-Mobile service when I go back to the Bahamas, I suspect I'll suspend it and go back to the BTC sim.

And...

I don't have Fi, but I do have the google voice/google hangouts hack which makes my same number that I've had for 40 years ring (and call) just as though it was in the US, nearly anywhere in the world that I have data throughput. Here in the US, I have to use the T-M number I don't even know (I never use that number for anything), as it goes over their cell network, as the data throughput for google is insufficient to support those calls.

Which tells you a bit about how good the BTC throughput is; I have NEVER had any data throughput (read: clarity and continuity of conversation) issue using the BTC sim. I have ALWAYS had an issue using the T-M throughput in the US. So, my workaround for that is to have GV/H simultaneously ring my cell number; THAT's the one I answer...

YMMV, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the T-M does in the Bahamas. But I am reasonably certain that if you have an open GSM phone, you'd enjoy the data throughput of the BTC system...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 10:56   #21

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
I have! I was due for a new phone, and knowing that my future was taking me to the Carib I replaced my iPhone with a Pixel running Project Fi. I can't yet speak to the Exumas, but I'm here in Turks and Caicos right now. Free SMS and $10/Gig is tough to beat, and I'm connecting to LTE towers. Better than swapping SIM cards!

Awesome news! I don't want to spend the cash for one of their phones, but hopefully they come out with a mobile hotspot or a bring your old phone option by the time we shove off again.

Matt
Old 25-01-2017, 13:05   #22

Sailed the Exumas 2016 with T-Mobile....worked fine for local and calls to the states. Happy Sailing
MAK982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:14   #23

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

Check out mrsimcard.com
They'll do it all for you
Old 25-01-2017, 18:27   #24

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
----- I replaced my iPhone with a Pixel running Project Fi. I can't yet speak to the Exumas, but I'm here in Turks and Caicos right now. Free SMS and $10/Gig is tough to beat, and I'm connecting to LTE towers. Better than swapping SIM cards!
I'd be interested in a cost/connecting update when you get to the Bahamas.
Thanks
Old 25-01-2017, 18:28   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek010 View Post
I have project Fi and I've used it all over the Caribbean. It's $10 per gig of data or .01 per byte so if you only use 600 bytes you'll pay $6.00 for the data you used for the month. My bill has never been over $50 for a month and I use my phone the same while traveling as I do stateside. Same as any other cell phone, if you can't see land, very good chance you're not getting signal.
Have you used it in the Bahamas?
Thanks
Old 26-01-2017, 04:03   #26

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLepew View Post
Check out mrsimcard.com
They'll do it all for you
Some friends of ours have used this and like it - other than that the sim wasn't activated when they got there and they had to spend big bux to call back to the US to get that sorted.

They're back there now and I've heard nothing from them this time, so perhaps my suggestion of calling MSCard just before they left paid off.

They DID like it other than that wrinkle. So, a second-hand confirmation of effectiveness from here...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 14:06   #27

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Awesome news! I don't want to spend the cash for one of their phones, but hopefully they come out with a mobile hotspot or a bring your old phone option by the time we shove off again.

Matt
Find does have a DATA only sim: https://productforums.google.com/for...fi/RQPOse21Aa8

But you have to be a fixed subscriber to get it. Could buy a used or refurbished Nexus 5x or 6 but it would still cost you north of $200.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 19:58   #28
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

here's another vote of confidence for the wifi system from Island Time. I use it up and down the East US coast with my Xfinity cable account. free wifi.

I used Verizon in T&C and Antigua for $10 per day, had my same service as if I was home. Cell and data were good.
Old 16-03-2017, 06:02   #29

Thanks guys! Wife and I just converted from MetroPCS to T-Mobile... if that Bahamas coverage map on T-Mobile's site is accurate... we should be in good shape!
Old 16-03-2017, 07:23   #30

Year 8 in Bahanas, mostly Eleuthra and Exumas
Have T mobile, free data roaming and calls ,20/min. Data Rate is slow, works great if here for short time passing through.
We spend 6-7 months, so buy btc simm and data. Prices change season to season, right now best deal is 2gb for $10 (7gb for $50 plan is gone)
For voice we typically use Skype call with costs us .02/min anywhere in the world.
Eleuthra has excellent coverage with 4g.
Exumas is 3 G with occasional 4 G in spots
Cell coverage in the Land and Sea Park is very sporadic, especially Waderick down to Cambridge cays.
Most settlements have a BTC office to buy simm. Other option order simm from Dr Simm online and get it before you go.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cell phone, exumas, phone