Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 08:59   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
carribean vs the other side

It is good to visit the carribean to put things in perspective. This allows me to appreciate the other side more. What I can't understand is why there are so many people sailing here and so few over there.

What I can say is the carribean is full of boats. This definitely spoils it. For example, the price of food is more or less 4x higher for everything and the variety in the market much lower.

The biggest factor for me is the local people. In the carribean I don't like most of the people I met, but in indonesia I really did.

The funny thing is, people with very huge boats like lagoon (or anything above 40ft) often remark the opposite perspective. In indonesia or similar places they will get hustled a lot.

In the carribean I think these same people like it maybe because they enjoy enslaving the locals with their money by paying them $5 to do things for them like bring them water or take their trash. This is similar to slavery by reinforcing that they are not on an equal level.

This is to such an extent that some local people "boat boys" survive off this, and make it their "occupation" They now expect all foreigners to have money to pay them for services. Other locals often become hostile if you decide to walk down the beach with empty pockets.

In indonesia and vanuatu, the local people understand and respect me for being engine free. Many people there told me it was a good thing and they were happy to see this. In the carribean, the local people tell me that I am wrong for not having this evil and should install a "6hp outboard". This is not one person on one island, but 4 different people on 3 different islands. For this reason I was given only 7 days visa in st vincent by the immigration in chateubellair and denied extension in bequia. I was forced to miss sailing the grenadines.

I have had more bad experiences in the carribean in 2 months than everywhere else (except new zealand which has many horrible people as well) after traveling nearly 7 years.

In vanuatu the locals on various islands often explained that they don't like the style of excessive boats. For this reason they invite me to custom dance for free, and give me free fruits, and tour the island hunting trips etc. This seems to annoy some people on larger boats when I told them because they were forced to pay. This is a good thing. I gave some locals in vanuatu my bicycle, a solar panel and battery, teach their kids how to use a soldering iron and how to wire it to play music etc... They take me to their garden and dig up 2 months of food so I sail to philippines. In phillipines, I go on local boats fishing, and they insist I keep what I catch, and they are only glad to have me along to make their life more interesting. In indonesia I can build a tree swing in the school with rope from brunei, all the kids are playing and they run around and collect mushrooms for me. I fixed some kids bicycle etc and they are happy to share what rice they grow and show me around the island. I have many more examples.

In the carribean these things just aren't possible because the people are corrupted. In fact, they drive motor boats and cars here in a wasteful and dangerous way. You cannot offer them anything besides money this is all they care about, and anything else is "an insult" and "disrespect"

Unfortunately these same locals do not like me much because I am not a means for them to profit off of. I cannot make any friends with locals here despite my best efforts, I must keep to myself. I think these are possibly the most ignorant people in the world. I could go on for several pages supporting this conclusion.

On the bright side, there is fast wifi which is free, where in philippines I had to pay $1 for 24 hours, or 5 cents for 15 minutes of internet at the same speed. It is also easy to meet more people on other boats because there are so many of them.

Now I am dreaming about the other side.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 09:32   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
Re: carribean vs the other side

If you don't like most of the people you meet, it might not be them...
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:00   #3

I'm not faulting you for what you prefer, but many people do like the Caribbean. It's not perfect in all ways and there are not so pleasant parts, but for those of use who can't leave for months at a time it's better than staying home. I guess it's just not your cup of tea.

On a positive note, there's only one canal between you and a long downwind ride to the other side...
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:11   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think maybe a lot of the difference is the Caribbean relies very heavily on Tourism, and when they figure out your not the Golden Goose, they are ready for you to leave to make way for one, they want / need the money, and your not providing it.
Although I have not visited Indonesia by boat, only on Business so I'm not sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:19   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Hmmm. My wife and I cruised up and down the islands from the Spanish Virgins to Grenada and back several times, and ended up living in the islands (on Nevis) for six years. Your experience doesn't resonate with me at all, boat alexandra. We met many wonderful people, and made strong friendships. We both agreed that those eight years were the best in our lives together.
Old 27-07-2016, 13:12   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

So you complain about people "enslaving the locals" but you rely on someone else's hard work to provide you with food for free? Or did you barter for the solar panel etc?.... hmm interesting indeed😉.
Are you Anti fiberglass, petrol, metal, pretty much anything modern?

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 14:22   #7

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Interesting post Alexandra. We think the same way in La Gran Sabana.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 14:32   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm probably less focused upon the search, but when I've been in the Eastern Caribbean I did not find the "horrible" or "corrupt" people among the locals or the cruisers.

Most people can likely find what they are looking for!
Old 27-07-2016, 15:26   #9

For the most part I didn't find the Caribe to be crowded, although there certainly are some spots where all the charterers go or where large groups hang out with "paralysis" to move on. At times I found myself wishing for more company.
The cost can be high if you are not careful though for sure, at times anyway. I've had a local fisherman come along, in the middle of nowhere/deserted bay, wondering if I wanted lobster, I thought "cool, finally gonna get some" His price? $50 US. haha, I sent him packing. Granted it was a big lobster, but nah, I'm not doing that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 15:59   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Well I recommend that you ............................................. Leave!
Old 27-07-2016, 17:00   #11

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

So basically you have a preference and can't understand why everyone else in the world doesn't think the same way as you?
I drink my rum with 7 up, all you coke drinkers are ignorant and wrong!!!!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:01   #12

Boat: Westsail28

,The Carribean used to be like "the other side".
Every place changes. Ever go back to the place you grew up?
It's not the same. If you make it back to "the other side", You may
not like it. Try to enjoy where you are. Or look somewhere else.
And NEVER EVER tell anyone about your special place.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:10   #13

Don't worry OP, I don't think the Caribbean has a lock on not liking you.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:48   #14

Boat: Tartan 3000

I live in Southeast Asia 4 months a year. If the carribean could offer the same pleasurable experience there would be no reason to endure a 24 hour plane ride.

As for sailing I'm very much looking forward to sailing in the Caribbean.

Two gems.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 18:25   #15

Boat: hydrostream

"I drink my rum with 7 up, all you coke drinkers are ignorant and wrong"

I drink my 7up with Tequila... coke.. rum.. ah..

Tags
rib