Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 07:22   #76

Re: carribean vs the other side

It's ironic the OP understands so little of economics in various cultures that he equates working for a living with slavery. The alternative for most of these so called "slaves" making good money is the alternative before tourism was long days I the sugar cane fields for far less money.

At the same time he abuses the economic system of the south pacific which is historically based on gift giving. In much of the south pacific historically, instead of working for money, you gained power and prestige from gift giving and this carried over into normal day to day interaction, there was an unspoken assumption that gift giving was a two way street. Someone would never demand a gift in return and would be horrified to say no to a request. Sounds like the OP is playing the dumb white guy taking gift after gift without reciprocating in kind. He's probably put many of the friendly locals in a financial bind abusing their kindness. At the same time he denigrates those who may misunderstand the gift giving culture but understand they can't continuously take without giving back so they offer to pay, which may not be consistent with the culture but at least doesn't leave the local impoverished by the visit.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 07:42   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gee guys...keep digging deeper...you'll find he is a Nazi Capitalist seeking to destroy nation by nation under the cloak of keep it simple sailing. He's a genius I say!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 09:07   #78

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I wonder what Rimas would say?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 10:28   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I wonder what Rimas would say?
I have no idea but the mod team say: keep it nice...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 12:14   #80

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Maybe a little OT but I have been considering heading West through the Panama Canal. One worry I have is the cost of the transit. I have seen claims that for a 36 foot boat like my Seawind it would run between $US5,000 and $US3,000. Not saying that is unreasonable, just that it is equal to probably 6 month (a full season) of cruising in the Bahamas for me.

Can some of you guys who have transited the Panama Canal share their costs.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 12:38   #81

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Maybe a little OT but I have been considering heading West through the Panama Canal. One worry I have is the cost of the transit. I have seen claims that for a 36 foot boat like my Seawind it would run between $US5,000 and $US3,000. Not saying that is unreasonable, just that it is equal to probably 6 month (a full season) of cruising in the Bahamas for me.

Can some of you guys who have transited the Panama Canal share their costs.
Yes OT. Your numbers are high . The Canal is deal. Try the search on CF for details.
Old 29-07-2016, 21:13   #82

Boat: outremer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It's ironic the OP understands so little of economics in various cultures that he equates working for a living with slavery. The alternative for most of these so called "slaves" making good money is the alternative before tourism was long days I the sugar cane fields for far less money.

At the same time he abuses the economic system of the south pacific which is historically based on gift giving. In much of the south pacific historically, instead of working for money, you gained power and prestige from gift giving and this carried over into normal day to day interaction, there was an unspoken assumption that gift giving was a two way street. Someone would never demand a gift in return and would be horrified to say no to a request. Sounds like the OP is playing the dumb white guy taking gift after gift without reciprocating in kind. He's probably put many of the friendly locals in a financial bind abusing their kindness. At the same time he denigrates those who may misunderstand the gift giving culture but understand they can't continuously take without giving back so they offer to pay, which may not be consistent with the culture but at least doesn't leave the local impoverished by the visit.
I believe he said he traded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 00:02   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence View Post
I believe he said he traded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Not buying it. He's on a 20some foot boat that is by his own accounts stripped down and minimalist...yet he's trading?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 03:25   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Not buying it. He's on a 20some foot boat that is by his own accounts stripped down and minimalist...yet he's trading?
Well he did write: "I gave some locals in vanuatu my bicycle, a solar panel and battery, teach their kids how to use a soldering iron and how to wire it to play music etc... They take me to their garden and dig up 2 months of food so I sail to philippines."

So I guess you've got a point, they gave him food and all he gave them in return was his trash....

I'm glad to see CF has replaced the "Go small and go now" ethos with "Go big or go home"

Now thats what I call progress...
Iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 08:58   #85

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iodine View Post
SNIP

I'm glad to see CF has replaced the "Go small and go now" ethos with "Go big or go home"

Now thats what I call progress...
There is a difference between "Go small and go now" and go expecting to live off the land/sea with inadequate prep. There have been endless threads at CF about folks who thought they could make a living while cruising by working. The truth is it does take serious prep to cruise and part of that includes adequate resources to buy food, maintain your boat, and deal with customs (including fees) to enter foreign countries.

The sad truth is in years past there were far fewer cruisers who put far less burden on countries and populations they cruised to. Now there is a much burden on those countries cruisers visit. Not to mention the change in expectations. How many threads have we seen about places being ruined because cruisers started paying much higher than expected rates to locals.

Time to stop living in the past and except the reality that there are a lot more cruisers than there use to be and that has changed cruising.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 09:01   #86

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

At the lower end of that scale are the parasitic cruisers who get by taking advantage of locals, tourists, and other cruisers. Fortunately they are relatively few, but Ive had the distasteful experience of encountering them.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 09:44   #87

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There is a difference between "Go small and go now" and go expecting to live off the land/sea with inadequate prep. There have been endless threads at CF about folks who thought they could make a living while cruising by working. The truth is it does take serious prep to cruise and part of that includes adequate resources to buy food, maintain your boat, and deal with customs (including fees) to enter foreign countries.

The sad truth is in years past there were far fewer cruisers who put far less burden on countries and populations they cruised to. Now there is a much burden on those countries cruisers visit. Not to mention the change in expectations. How many threads have we seen about places being ruined because cruisers started paying much higher than expected rates to locals.

Time to stop living in the past and except the reality that there are a lot more cruisers than there use to be and that has changed cruising.

Computer guys are one segment of the working class that can be productive even without an Internet connection. While I do not use OpenCPN, it seems quite a few people do. I hope none of those are part of the group that feel the need to bash BA for quirky posts. I know nothing of the development team except that BA seems a productive member.

And while it is possible that he has been sitting on a couch in Kansas, his posts indicate that he has put quite a few miles under the keel of a little Bristol alone. That would require a bit of adequate prep and cojones. Not to mention giving him an excuse for being a bit quirky.
Old 30-07-2016, 11:20   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Naah mate.. I support another cruiser and full time liveaboard.. Mike aka Quinn and his Nimble Navigator program.. taken me 2/3rds of the way round the world with no probs..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 11:21   #89

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Well, rhum cigars and music are better in the Carib. More expensive sure, not a good place for freeloaders...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 12:39   #90

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
At the lower end of that scale are the parasitic cruisers who get by taking advantage of locals, tourists, and other cruisers. Fortunately they are relatively few, but Ive had the distasteful experience of encountering them.
I didn't know there was a hierarchy in the cruising world. So if you go small, trade food for bicycles or what ever else the OP uses, he is a parasite. And because he is not going around flaunting money to the locals, he is taking advantage of them. I'll try to avoid you as to not upset you as I have been know to trade C and D batteries to a fisherman for his flashlight for a fish or two.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib