Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 11:12   #151

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: carribean vs the other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Looks like a windvane to me.....no outboard in sight
If so My bad then,

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:02   #152
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Your certainly right about the Bristol not being steel. I just looked at it and it said steel to me as I have seen so many like that, my bad. That said everyone looks after stuff in different ways and both you and I like stuff neat and clean but not everyone shares our views.
Robert,

So back to my original point, how would you feel if a stranger entered your house with dog poop on their shoes and insisted on keeping their shoes on, tracking it all around your house whilst telling you how to best live your life? Would you welcome them in and offer to sit down and eat supper with them, or would you request and/or demand they either remove their shoes or leave your house?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:15   #153

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Wait, can we get back on topic? Is the local food of Grenada really fried chicken all the time?!?!

awesome, can't wait to sail there
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:34   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Robert,

So back to my original point, how would you feel if a stranger entered your house with dog poop on their shoes and insisted on keeping their shoes on, tracking it all around your house whilst telling you how to best live your life? Would you welcome them in and offer to sit down and eat supper with them, or would you request and/or demand they either remove their shoes or leave your house?
Ken,
I have to admit that the thought has never crossed my mind...that said I was snorkeling by a boat at anchor when someone pumped the head overboard..that got me moving in then opposite direction.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:03   #155

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Maybe a little OT but I have been considering heading West through the Panama Canal. One worry I have is the cost of the transit. I have seen claims that for a 36 foot boat like my Seawind it would run between $US5,000 and $US3,000. Not saying that is unreasonable, just that it is equal to probably 6 month (a full season) of cruising in the Bahamas for me.

Can some of you guys who have transited the Panama Canal share their costs.
If you arrange everything yourself (no agent), find other cruisers to line handle and share fenders and lines you can do the canal for about $1000 for a boat less than 50' - and they do measure, our nominal 45' measured 48.5 feet and that was with the Monitor vane down.
Old 03-08-2016, 14:04   #156

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Wait, can we get back on topic? Is the local food of Grenada really fried chicken all the time?!?!

Chicken, burgers, pizzas, Chicken with rice, sandwichs, Chicken, I say chicken? Chicken with beans, more chicken.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:32   #157
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post

I don't even remember seeing fried chicken when we were cruising the islands. There are all sorts of tasty local dishes to try--curry goat or chicken, oxtail stew, salt fish, conch or goat water (a chowder), rotis, and much more. In Grenada the traditional dish is Oil Down.

It's worth your time to search out the restaurants that the locals frequent.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:57   #158

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

That looks awesome Hud3. There is a market near by where I can get most of the more "unusual " ingredients. Im going to try that!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:25   #159

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I agree, awesome.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:31   #160

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I don't even remember seeing fried chicken when we were cruising the islands. There are all sorts of tasty local dishes to try--curry goat or chicken, oxtail stew, salt fish, conch or goat water (a chowder), rotis, and much more. In Grenada the traditional dish is Oil Down.

It's worth your time to search out the restaurants that the locals frequent.
Fried Chicken is not as common in the E Carib, but there is great fried chicken in the W Carib and ashore in Central America.

We were recently in Martinique, quite a contrast to the developing country environment that is our norm, like being back in the first world...great food, awesome french breads and pastries. Yum.

We sailed down to Grenada, didnt try Oil Down, but did try Callaloo soup, another traditional dish.

Come to think of it though, we did have fried chicken in Grenada. We rented a car and drove all over the island one Sunday. Almost everything was closed. We stopped in a town on the windward side for lunch and all the resturants were closed...except KFC. We try to avoid chains so wandered around looking for another option, no luck.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib