Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 15:30   #136

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: carribean vs the other side

Well today I learn that sailing and cross oceans is about first impresions....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 15:44   #137

Has it been decided yet which is better?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 21:06   #138

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Never seen a steel Bristol 27.
Old 02-08-2016, 21:58   #139

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundsteele View Post
This is a recent photo of S/V Alexandra in Martinique, anchored below the fort in Fort-de-France. The picture was taken on 5/26/2016 and we stopped to chat to the captain. He complained to us that he had just been run out of St. Lucia by the authorities after he tried to obtain salvage on a capsized boat he had rescued. As you can see from the picture, the hull of Alexandra is heavily stained and looks like it too has been salvaged. When you compare this picture to the thumbnail on this website, you see it is the same boat but without the stains. He seems a nice enough guy but I think the captain would find the world a friendlier place if he could borrow a power washer for about an hour.
Didn't he say "outboards were evil and he cruised without one? " Looks like an outboard st his stern.
Maybe he should have said " I refuse to be a enslaved by my boats maintenance, it too is evil" 😈

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 22:03   #140

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Take everything, give nothing back. The American way.
hmmmm i thought it was "take what ya can. give nothin' back".
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 22:07   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
NOt true. True for the Germans and many from "down under" but Americans tend to leave "clean wakes"; at least that is our impression from 30 years of cruising the globe. Americans have a thirst to be liked, and will go out of their way to please the locals whereas the Germans could care less. English normally do not associate with "inferior" races. Time after time we would anchor in some remote island only to have the locals come up and on finding we were Americans, would break out in big smiles. They would talk sink about some of the other foreigners who had left a very dirty wake behind them, mostly the Europeans, and almost always the Kiwis.
we must take better care of foreign lands than our own country, then. ever been sailing down at the inner harbor on the Chesapeake? tragic way to care for the state's greatest natural resource.
Old 02-08-2016, 22:10   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...and you can point me out those examples.
he plainly states that it is terrible to pay locals for services rendered and thinks it's horrible that they should expect payment.
Old 02-08-2016, 22:15   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
But you still have to make a choice between the lesser of two weevils

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
good movie!
Old 02-08-2016, 22:27   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrcat229 View Post
hey mac,
I agree with nothing wrong with working, I too have worked every job from Tecumseh to tokamkari and done epic school time as well. the lucky of us truly benefit from our labors, the less fortunate wind up wasting their lives, to varying degrees, to largely enrich others while they've burned their lifetimes up for others profit...

that's basic economics, externalize the cost of production, that most unskilled laborers waste a lot of their life for other's enrichment is a major flaw in capitalist orthodoxy.

the trick is to recognize the nature of the game and find where you're comfortable with the balance..

i'm not sure that's so much as a flaw of capitalism as it is a flaw in personal choice. i have, unfortunately, never been smiled on by the finance fairy, despite decades of very hard work and loads of skills. i am the guy that works hard and gives his all for company after company and then gets screwed by said company. however, i have lived a very full life. lot's of adventures and experiences under my belt. if i died tomorrow, i'd be ticked because i didn't get my present boat project finished first but, i'd have nothing to complain about. tons of stories for the grand kids, if i ever have any. it's not so much how much you have as what you do with what you have and the choices you make for your life.

of course, the average 'unfortunate' buys into the consumerist propaganda. that's doom for anyone not blessed with mountains of wealth. but, again, that's a choice. never been mine. rather an adventure cross country 'roughing it' on my hardtail chopper (which i built myself making 80% of the parts from raw materials) than a big screen tv.

tv is the great waster of life. that and nicely mowed lawns of useless grass. both are sacred the 'unfortunates'.
Old 03-08-2016, 00:27   #145
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Ken this look is not uncommon for steel boats that need a sand blast and paint. For the budget group its a lot of money. R
It's certainly uncommon for boats looking this way to be seen anywhere here in the Med, as I'm sure you'll agree having been here.

I also wasn't aware the Bristol 27 was a steel boat? Or maybe the OP has the only one made from steel? 'Guess we all learn something new everyday. ;-). But for those boats made of fiberglass, are you saying the occupants can't afford a Scotchbrite pad and a little "elbow grease?"
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:33   #146

Boat: wharram tiki 26

It seems this poor bugger can do no right.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:50   #147
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know.. 147 response's means he's got some folks reflecting on their own viewpoint which.. may or may not change their perspectives..
Not a bad thing.. never hurts to stir the pot a bit now and then..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:58   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
All the perspective of one who is materialistic. Many developing nations are struggling with materialism and avoiding it in many cases. Urban drift is beginning to reduce and reverse in some instances as the people see the mistakes of others who have gone down that path before them. Village chiefs are counselling their youth to retain the old ways.
The real question is why should visitors get to decide how their culture should be run.

If they showed up in your home town and berated you and your fellow locals for their horrible lifestyle, you would probably get up in arms over their audacity to just show up and tell you how to live.

Yet, it appears others feel they can do the same thing in reverse, all in the name of protecting them from themselves. If they choose a modern lifestyle with a modern economic system that's their choice.

The world changes. While it's good to honor the ways of your ancestors, living some sort of caveman existence because that's how your ancestors lived is not what most people want.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:00   #149

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Didn't he say "outboards were evil and he cruised without one? " Looks like an outboard st his stern.
Maybe he should have said " I refuse to be a enslaved by my boats maintenance, it too is evil" 😈

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Looks like a windvane to me.....no outboard in sight
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:06   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's certainly uncommon for boats looking this way to be seen anywhere here in the Med, as I'm sure you'll agree having been here.

I also wasn't aware the Bristol 27 was a steel boat? Or maybe the OP has the only one made from steel? 'Guess we all learn something new everyday. ;-). But for those boats made of fiberglass, are you saying the occupants can't afford a Scotchbrite pad and a little "elbow grease?"
Your certainly right about the Bristol not being steel. I just looked at it and it said steel to me as I have seen so many like that, my bad. That said everyone looks after stuff in different ways and both you and I like stuff neat and clean but not everyone shares our views.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib