Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 12:09   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Carnival Cruises to start going to Cuba

Market Watch headlines today " Carnival Corporation Granted U.S. Approval for Travel to Cuba".
Apparently this will began May 2016.

Just wondering how many of you hate Cruise Ships?

Every time I see one it makes me nauseated.
Now a place that has unparalleled beauty will again be ruined by these beasts.
They have been chewing up the deep reef structure with their anchors on Grand Cayman for years. And apparently it will only get worse.
I try and stay away from cruise ship infested areas but it is getting harder and harder. From what I have witnessed on various islands the taxi drivers, trinket sellers, and tour operators are about the only ones who prosper. Those cruise ship passengers don't eat in the restaurants or stay in the hotels. I guess they do shop in the ubiquitous jewelry stores that every island has and have a shared delusion that they are getting great deals. I realize not everyone has a boat but why not just visit an island and get to experience the culture. I think that every cruise ship dock looks the same with the same type shops and "deals".
Maybe it's time for me to leave the caribbean......are there cruise ships in the Marquesas ?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:15   #2
cruiser

Re: Carnival Cruises to start going to Cuba

We spend 6 months on our boat during the summer, and as much time as possible, usually two weeks during the winter on cruise ships. Not Carnival, usually Princess. You can't beat the all inclusive price.

Next Spring... Mexico for 7-10 days out of Los Angeles. It also gives me a great opportunity to explore new reefs scuba diving.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:17   #3

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

We used to cruise on the big ships with the kids, but once we realized that our primary objective was to find a sailing excursion, it became apparent that we should just get a boat and sail on our own terms. I find it hard to imagine being back on the cruise ships now.

We had our first exposure to cruise ship hordes in the BVI's a couple of weeks ago. We went to the baths not knowing a 4,000+ passenger ship was in Road Town. We high tailed it out of there as quickly as possible and found some quiet on Leverick Bay.

I look with dismay as each cruise line builds bigger and bigger ships; putting more and more of them into the Caribbean. I have no idea where they think all those passengers will be coming from. Thankfully our home sailing waters of the Chesapeake are yet to be overrun.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:32   #4

Boat: too many

I just wish that the first impressions the Cubans have of their neighbors to the north are the nice, laid back, considerate and fit cruiser rather than what generally comes off a cruise ship.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:45   #5

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Well Cubans are used to seeing a fair number of Americans, and most relate to us more than anywhere else - like Latin America. The majority has some family here. So, we're past first impressions - but I hear what you're saying.

The government controls things much more than the Bahamas or US. They've actually been pretty savvy in protecting their reefs. Try sailing down there and anchoring anywhere you want. Yikes. Some is security of course, but their reefs aren't in better health than surrounding areas by chance. They're smart about it. We'll see what money does for the situation, but I'm hopeful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 18:30   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Senior Frogs Havana! Here we come!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 18:44   #7
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Market Watch headlines today " Carnival Corporation Granted U.S. Approval for Travel to Cuba".
Apparently this will began May 2016.

Every time I see one it makes me nauseated.
Sorry to break the news, but cruise ships have been going to Cuba for quite some time...

;-)

Quote:
Yeah, sure sounds like it, alright... ;-)

Quote:
Carnival said it won U.S. Treasury Department approval for the trips under its new fathom brand, which targets travelers who want to combine volunteering with vacations.

The company plans to use a 710-passenger ship for the seven-day cruises, targeting “cultural, artistic, faith-based and humanitarian” experiences between Americans and Cubans.

Carnival initiated its socially conscious cruise model as a way to attract younger passengers whose motivation to travel includes engaging in social-impact activities like planting trees for reforestation, helping small businesses get up and running, and practicing English with local students.

Carnival Gets U.S. Approval to Start Cruises to Cuba - WSJ
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 20:45   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Yea but you have not seen the hordes of americans yet!

Cuba expecting more than 200 cruise ships this winter | Fox News Latino

200 ships? Lets say 2750 passengers per ship so far - about 500,000 cruise ship passengers a year.

Multiply that by 10 and that is what we are talking about. On any given day Nassau can be hosting 20,000 passengers - three or maybe 4 times a week... the logical next stop is Cuba. Obviously, you probably have to subtract out the existing 500,000 but you are still talking in the range of 3 million passengers a year vs. 500,000.

I just hope they open a Margarittaville. Nothing like a cheese burger in paradise.

-z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:50   #9

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Carnival Cruises to start going to Cuba

Quote:

Maybe it's time for me to leave the caribbean......are there cruise ships in the Marquesas ?

Cruise ships were how I was initially introduced to most of the Caribbean Islands. With that experience we were comfortable moving here and we have been to more of the Islands than most local residents. So no, I didn't hate flying from subzero conditions in the gray Midwest to fly someplace warm and sunny for a week or two per year on a cruise ship.

The Aranui was running around the Marquesas when I was there on a sailboat in 2014 and from reading a blog I am currently following, they are still there. https://aranui.com The Aranui is pretty small by cruise ship standards and mostly seemed to carry freight. The passengers I spoke with were having a great time and seemed much different then the ones I typically see here on St Thomas. The Aranui does cause anchored boats to move out of the way before arrival. It would seem you'll have to go further "out there" to get away from cruise ships. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:42   #10

Sorry if this comes across harsh but that's a pretty snobish attitude. Others shouldn't be allowed to visit so your visit is untarnished by the unwashed masses?

It's been probably 15yrs since we've taken a cruise as we got turned off by the nickle & diming they do and it gets worse each year. BUT that doesn't mean others should be denied the oppurtunity if it suits thier needs.

Depending on what we are in the mood for, we sometimes avoid them but other times we will seek them out as many ports are dead when no ship is in port but lively and fun when busy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:35   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Sorry if this comes across harsh but that's a pretty snobish attitude. Others shouldn't be allowed to visit so your visit is untarnished by the unwashed masses?
I totally agree.

How dare someone, just because they have a sailing yacht and the time to mooch around the oceans despise those who don't or cant.

For your information many folks on cruise ships work their asses off to afford a week with their feet up. And they are the "real" people factory workers, trades, office workers - the people who make our respective countries great. Don't forget the retirees trying to have a holiday on fast diminishing assets... they are your parents, uncles and aunties.

How dare you deny others?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yea but you have not seen the hordes of americans yet!

Cuba expecting more than 200 cruise ships this winter | Fox News Latino

200 ships? Lets say 2750 passengers per ship so far - about 500,000 cruise ship passengers a year.
Havana has a population of over 2.2 million...

Key West has a population of 25,000, and is visited by roughly 350 cruise ships per annum...

Hmmm, I wonder which is seeing the greater effect from those hordes of Americans descending upon them...

;-)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/us/25cruise.html?_r=0
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:19   #13

Boat: Oyster 55

Please spare me the sad stories of those suffering americans who can only afford to see the islands by sailing in on one of those cattle cars. Also not so sure how many of those people actually made their countries great but that is a mute point and I have no sympathy.
However having been born in the Cayman Islands and also living for years on the islands of Barbados and Jamaica, I have personally witnessed the carnage left behind by the hordes.
Started SCUBA diving at the age of 12 and that was many many years ago. Remember the reef structure even in the harbor of Georgetown being vibrant, there were spectacular coral caves teeming with fish and live coral. Today they are all dead and what you find is sometimes maybe 50 to 60 snorkelers in life jackets peering down at dead coral. The barrier reef in the North Sound by what today is called Stingray City is bleached white and there are 100's of visitors a day off the cruise ships. When the ships are in you cannot go downtown without facing traffic jams more similar to Manhattan than a Caribbean Island. Also having had the opportunity to work in Hospital Emergency Departments in the islands crime is rampant when cruise ships are in town.
So I guess maybe my bias is partially a PTSD type reaction.
However after sailing to Cuba on two previous occasions I was in awe of the underwater beauty and the abundance of marine life. It reminded me of my youth growing up in the Caymans and it left me sad. Yes the Caymans are very wealthy but despite it being a financial center they also have a thriving tourist trade which in the opinion of many is continuing to lead to destruction of the island. The saying "What profit a man to gain the world only to loose his soul" comes to mind.
Also you guys have educated me in that cruise ships are already in Havana. But that will only be the beginning, next it will be Cienfuegoes, then Cayo Largo and god forbid Jardines de la Reina.
My hope is that the Cuban government will continue to enact strict control of their natural resources.
Also the first time I sailed into the St. Vincent Tobago Cays in the 70's I was the only one anchored in the whole area. So I am now getting old and it will not matter to me but I have raised 3 children who also love the ocean and fear that in their life time they will not see the same world that I remember.
But maybe the people who made america great will just be happy to get a "cheeseburger in paradise" and leave the reefs alone.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:51   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

I wonder if the Mafia will try to reclaim their holdings in Cuba?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59   #15

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I wonder if the Mafia will try to reclaim their holdings in Cuba?

They can get in line behind Bacardi and thousands of other people..... Bacardi acts like the revolution was yesterday. They even came out with a Havana Club rum that is marketed internationally, and meant to hurt the genuine deal made in Cuba. That worked with the past political situation but I'm curious how these issues will be resolved in international courts now that Cuba is normalizing relations with the U.S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, Cuba