Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 17:35   #46

I'd love to hear what you discover! I've stood on an overlooking hill in a tempest and I saw a small horseshoe of coral that looked very inviting. The tricky part would be to find the way into it. I did see a possible route from my bird's eye view.
I've hidden in quite a few 'secret' east coast reef harbours on various islands and they've been great, but it takes a bit of homework and courage to get into some of them and you must leave early before the seas build up. To tell you the truth, I take the fishermen's advice with a grain of salt; sometimes, it is spot on; othertimes, not quite.
Do you know the tales of Suzanna who owned Nisbet and fled for her life (literally) in a little airplane when the local people rose up in frustration against her? Ask an old timer and you're in for quite a story. I was a little kid at the time and witnessed more than my parents knew, fancying myself 'Harriet the Spy' and was a sort of 'darling' to some ladies who gossiped constantly in my presense, thinking I was too young to comprehend the situation. I still visit with these ladies whenever I pass through lovely Nevis.
My buddy was just walking on the pier in Carriacou looking at the huge seas; fortunately, he had tucked his boat into the oyster pond.
Amazing, you've seen that nook in Chatham; I have never dived it, but I could see the sandy spot for my anchor quite clearly and gave it a shot; my boat at the time was 32 foot with 5'7'' draft, I'm not sure it would work for a larger vessel.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 18:19   #47

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Perhaps someone in the area could give us a report as to the actual conditions during this big swell event.
chuck
We rode out the swell in English Harbor Antigua and inside the harbor it was a non event, a little roll but nothing to write home about. Outside the swells were there but with a 14 or 15 second interval they were gentle rollers. We had no plans to travel during this period but we did see boats going upwind up swell and they did not look stressed.
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 16:08   #48
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by little boat View Post
I'd love to hear what you discover! I've stood on an overlooking hill in a tempest and I saw a small horseshoe of coral that looked very inviting. The tricky part would be to find the way into it. I did see a possible route from my bird's eye view.
I've hidden in quite a few 'secret' east coast reef harbours on various islands and they've been great, but it takes a bit of homework and courage to get into some of them and you must leave early before the seas build up. To tell you the truth, I take the fishermen's advice with a grain of salt; sometimes, it is spot on; othertimes, not quite.
Do you know the tales of Suzanna who owned Nisbet and fled for her life (literally) in a little airplane when the local people rose up in frustration against her? Ask an old timer and you're in for quite a story. I was a little kid at the time and witnessed more than my parents knew, fancying myself 'Harriet the Spy' and was a sort of 'darling' to some ladies who gossiped constantly in my presense, thinking I was too young to comprehend the situation. I still visit with these ladies whenever I pass through lovely Nevis.
My buddy was just walking on the pier in Carriacou looking at the huge seas; fortunately, he had tucked his boat into the oyster pond.
Amazing, you've seen that nook in Chatham; I have never dived it, but I could see the sandy spot for my anchor quite clearly and gave it a shot; my boat at the time was 32 foot with 5'7'' draft, I'm not sure it would work for a larger vessel.
little boat,

I had lunch today with several "old timers" here on Nevis at Nisbet's Beach Bar and Restaurant, and asked about the Nisbet story. Here's what they said:

Mary Pomeroy (not Suzanna) owned Nisbet Plantation in the '60s. Chet Brinkley and David Huntley came down to do a story on Nevis. Mary was known as a very outspoken person, and had quite a few things to say about the administration in power at the time when they interviewed her. The "Powers that Be" on Nevis took offense, and ordered her off the island. She was a pilot, and flew her Cessna 178 up to St Maarten, where she eventually established a hotel called "Mary's Boon", which is still there. Some years later, Mary disappeared on a flight to Puerto Rico, and was never seen again.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:13   #49
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
little boat,

I had lunch today with several "old timers" here on Nevis at Nisbet's Beach Bar and Restaurant, and asked about the Nisbet story. Here's what they said:

Mary Pomeroy (not Suzanna) owned Nisbet Plantation in the '60s. Chet Brinkley and David Huntley came down to do a story on Nevis. Mary was known as a very outspoken person, and had quite a few things to say about the administration in power at the time when they interviewed her. The "Powers that Be" on Nevis took offense, and ordered her off the island. She was a pilot, and flew her Cessna 178 up to St Maarten, where she eventually established a hotel called "Mary's Boon", which is still there. Some years later, Mary disappeared on a flight to Puerto Rico, and was never seen again.
Brief History of Nisbet Plantation

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 18:31   #50

Yes Hud, I remembered last night that Suzanna was the name I used in my Harriet the Spy notebook, so noone could crack my secret coded story. Suzanna Pomeroy had a television show that I watched the reruns; she was a cruise ship director? Clever eh? Well, for a 6-8,9 year old.
The stone dungeon and its horror movie fixtures figured prominently in our spying, as did the widowmaking coco forest at night and all of the people involved at the time, from the drunken Expats to the Voodoo Priests and gatherings, to fishermen and heads of government, the workers of the plantation and all of their children.
We spied on them all and recorded snatches of their conversations in my little notebook. Harriet was our inspiration and was never frightened. Being just a little girl was like a metaphorical cloak of invisibility and my sister (assistant spy) was one year younger. We had a free run and went into everyone's rooms and houses and searched their belongings and hid in bedroom closets and under tables where turtle soup was served in huge, shellacked shells with pigeon pie and ate curry green monkey heads in shanties. We sat in laps from the kitchen to the estate's stone patio...and witnessed really heart-stopping stuff with violence both domestic and ritualistic. We saw magic.
My sister and I would re-enact these events secretly, fighting over which roles were whose.
We were cautioned by the cook not to eat certain dishes served as they had been poisoned or hexed. I have one indelible memory of knocking my mother's plate of frog's legs off the table 'accidentally' so she would be safe.
I remember Mary's and everyone's stories as even more complex and spooky and villianous and loving than either of those two versions, for which I thank you both. Nevis has many secrets and Anguilla as well; but Dominica still takes the cake.
Old 23-03-2008, 19:16   #51

Speaking of Nevis,

I had a friend over there who operated as little beach front restaurant on Nevis. Can't remember his name, but I think he was married to a white girl. Is he still around??? Sorry for the lousy description, but I don't think my brain has access to his name after all these years (12 or so).
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 20:16   #52

Whoops, I just did a small fact check and discovered that it was Gale Storm who played a character named Susanna Pomeroy in her tv show.The Gale Storm Show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24-03-2008, 11:26   #53
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dan,

Thanks for posting the link to Nisbet Plantation history. I'll share that with my friends here.

DefJef,

Which beach? Do you recall? I haven't come across a couple like that. Was it near the airport on the north side?

Littleboat,

Rather than continue to bore people with our Nevis stories, I'm going to send you a PM.
Old 24-03-2008, 13:05   #54

Hud,

This was on the North side closer to St Kitts. He was a very charming Rasta guy with a little restaurant on the beach. I met him (again) at a wedding for a couple from the states who met in St Kitts (the groom) had worked for Brookes Boats in St Kitts.

Sorry for the sketchy info. But every once in a while once connects with someone from the distant past and I would love to hear some good news about him.

Jef
Old 26-03-2008, 10:46   #55
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

defjef,

The only restaurant up there is now called Shirley's. It's near the airport, and overlooks The Narrows and Booby Island. In fact, the bar there is call The Booby Bar.

I asked about it on a local Board, and got the answer below. Ring any bells for you?

I don't know the full history of the place but it's been through a number of reincarnation. At one time (5 or 6 years ago) it was known as Booby's (named after the off shore island you can see from the restaurant) and it was run as a joint venture by the wife of the manager of Nisbet and Jilian from Bananas. It later was operated by a woman (who's name escapes me) for a season but she didn't last long. If I'm not mistaken Chevy's used to be there before they opened the place at Pinney's Beach. It's been Shirley's for about 2 years. Sorry, I can't remember the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shirleys (Medium).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	3093  
Old 26-03-2008, 12:23   #56

Hud,

Very kind of you to dig that up. It doesn't jog my memory. One day it will hit me. What a guy!

thanks,
Old 29-03-2008, 10:23   #57

Hud...just checked back in after being away for a week and saw your pix...wow...you are one lucky guy!! Glad the Belle is ok. All best!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 10:49   #58
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Those stories aren't boring. They are quite entertaining, and full of characters......thanks
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 11:37   #59
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Hud...just checked back in after being away for a week and saw your pix...wow...you are one lucky guy!! Glad the Belle is ok. All best!
Thanks, Cam.

A block on the mainsheet traveler came loose from all the racking back and forth, but other than that, all is fine.

Forecast says more swells on the way for next Thursday/Friday, but only 10-12' this time.
Old 29-03-2008, 12:37   #60
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Hud, how are you getting this forcast? I'm chartering a boat out of Tortola starting next Thursday. How long will the swells last?
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean