Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 10:37   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Caribbean - Pirated Waters ?

I'm reasonably certain that, if you use a crossbow/longbow, Louisville slugger, pillow, or whatever, as a weapon; it will be judged to have been a weapon - in any & every jurisdiction.
Bows (cross & long, but not ribbon) are generally considered "restricted" items, in most every jurisdiction. Bats & pillows generally aren't, until used thus.

Old 22-06-2011, 10:53   #92
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Not only do I agree with Gord, can I extend on hit bit with the point that a steel flare pistol and a shotgun shell then makles the damn thing into a pistol.

Do you think the police in other countries are that stupid?

Maybe its their accent?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-06-2011, 11:02   #93
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Caribbean - Pirated Waters ?

Sigh.... has no one watched 'Day of the Jackal'.... coupla bits of wood.. a nail and an elastic band and 'Bob's yer Uncle'....
Wanna bigger gun... use bigger wood and a bungee....
Your 'Bow Sprit' could be your cannon......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-06-2011, 16:24   #94

Boat: Grampian 26

the point is if you are put in a position to defend yourself from bodly harm you should do what is required to stop the situation. Killing someone makes you know better then the person you are supposedly defend yourself from.
If and big If you get jacked on the water in the bahamas, then it was ment to happen. the law states you have the right to defend yourself, using enough force to sudue and or stop the attack. Once you begin chase you have just reversed the tables and you now are the attacker.
I really do not see the difference in sailing the bahamas, or and evening stroll on downtown Dallas or New York street after a nice dinner, whats stopping anyone from jacking you there???????
Theft is around the world and has been around for thousands of years, live withit.
Old 22-06-2011, 18:54   #95

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Wanna bigger gun... use bigger wood and a bungee....
Oh Boatman, I've tried all of that stuff...None of it works! Stupid magazine ads... ;-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 22-06-2011, 19:05   #96

Unless you're planning to transit the northern Indian Ocean toward the Red Sea or hanging out off the coast of Somalia or the South China Sea you don't have a lot to worry about.
You're more likely to be ripped off by pick-pockets or short change artists than bothered by pirates.
Old 22-06-2011, 20:01   #97

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailronin
You're more likely to be ripped off by pick-pockets or short change artists than bothered by pirates.
Yeah, but who would go to see a movie entitled "Pick-pockets of the Caribbean"? ;-)

Worst place for pick-pockets I've ever seen was Rome. By FAR worse than NYC or Philly...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 22-06-2011, 20:16   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull

Good posts, think I'll sell the Kimber and buy a hmmm, weather xm ? Radar? Night optics? What's more important? I'm new to this , what's truly invaluable on a sailboat for cruising the world?
Old 22-06-2011, 21:27   #99

Boat: Skookum 53'

Night vision binoculars are effective and useful providing there is not a lot of light around where you are looking, even a small light on the horizon can glare you out. I would say for the money radar, is far more versitile and useful on a daily basis. Weather xm is nice but won't help you spot pirates.
Old 23-06-2011, 04:19   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm reasonably certain that, if you use a crossbow/longbow, Louisville slugger, pillow, or whatever, as a weapon; it will be judged to have been a weapon - in any & every jurisdiction.
Bows (cross & long, but not ribbon) are generally considered "restricted" items, in most every jurisdiction. Bats & pillows generally aren't, until used thus.
Well said Gord.
Also hiding shot-gun shells to be used out of some other contraption is no different than hiding drugs - maybe found maybe not.
There are many countries - most. That will allow the legal importation of weapons. Similar bureaucratic hassles as animals.
I think Mexico is the only country in the region that will not allow - under any circumstances. (and about 23 of these United States).
Some countries keep em, some count ammo, some don't care - just declare - up to you!
Old 23-06-2011, 09:41   #101
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
Good posts, think I'll sell the Kimber and buy a hmmm, weather xm ? Radar? Night optics? What's more important? I'm new to this , what's truly invaluable on a sailboat for cruising the world?
crew or a decent autopilot....
Old 23-06-2011, 11:54   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
1. Robust Auto-Pilot.
2. Back-up auto-pilot.
3. Secondary steering system.
4. Secondary backup auto-pilot - or the ability to get on well with people...
Old 23-06-2011, 14:33   #103
cruiser

high IQ prevelant allover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Not only do I agree with Gord, can I extend on hit bit with the point that a steel flare pistol and a shotgun shell then makles the damn thing into a pistol.

Do you think the police in other countries are that stupid?

Maybe its their accent?
-intelligence not specific to any one country and i was only typying from own inspections done over period since 1985 when first boarded at anchor and inspected off DR,,have been searched many times since and "flare pistol" was never seized or attracted any concern as it is a "flare-pistol" which can be used as a weapon but is not illegal to possess,,some of you want to debate the finer technacalities of law but then you must also debate "intent" which is a very hard thing to prove in a courtroom and is the difference betwwen did the pedestrian get run over on purpose or deliberatalely for example,..of course it is always best to lawyer-up or at least say nothing till talking to consulate or trusted advocate and often the truth "will not set you free" ,,however some inquiries on this thread seem confused as to what is legal and what is not,,i just thought i would enter SOME examples of devices that are legal to possess and can be used as weapons if the emergency should arrise,,you can always just get your gonads cut off w hile the robbers inquire as-to-the whereabouts of your cash-on-board or defend yourself..your choice,,"bring it on" if u must
Old 23-06-2011, 14:58   #104
cruiser

just lay down and get tortured and murdered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
the point is if you are put in a position to defend yourself from bodly harm you should do what is required to stop the situation. Killing someone makes you know better then the person you are supposedly defend yourself from.
If and big If you get jacked on the water in the bahamas, then it was ment to happen. the law states you have the right to defend yourself, using enough force to sudue and or stop the attack. Once you begin chase you have just reversed the tables and you now are the attacker.
I really do not see the difference in sailing the bahamas, or and evening stroll on downtown Dallas or New York street after a nice dinner, whats stopping anyone from jacking you there???????
Theft is around the world and has been around for thousands of years, live withit.
THESE THREADS ARE A HOOT,,Y GET STOKED UP READING THIS AS IT SOUNDS LIKE A COMEDY OF ERRORS....yes of course murder is wrong and if the STRANGER{must i emphasize} had left me ALONE i would not half to kill him/her? dont even try to confuse me just anylysize this thought{u dont even c see},,u know the ABC"s of love..so B it wannabee would B THE IGNORANT BIKER RESPONSE,,i have sum compasion before i just OFF SUM DEVIL,,go figure,, u got triple AAA or ZZZ... or is it UEZ ZAP PIZZAZZZZZZ out out out out ,,u know arabic or have you even bothered to study the "koran"..the enemy code-book,,just what the bud are u gonna teach me bud/girl,,have another drink and get offed in your sleep by the "body-snatchers" ha,ha,,the truth is stranger than fiction once you realize you havre been ROLLED over,,go figure dirty white boy,,i admit i am a dirty -white -boy
Old 23-06-2011, 15:21   #105

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: just lay down and get tortured and murdered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
THESE THREADS ARE A HOOT,,Y GET STOKED UP READING THIS AS IT SOUNDS LIKE A COMEDY OF ERRORS....yes of course murder is wrong and if the STRANGER{must i emphasize} had left me ALONE i would not half to kill him/her? dont even try to confuse me just anylysize this thought{u dont even c see},,u know the ABC"s of love..so B it wannabee would B THE IGNORANT BIKER RESPONSE,,i have sum compasion before i just OFF SUM DEVIL,,go figure,, u got triple AAA or ZZZ... or is it UEZ ZAP PIZZAZZZZZZ out out out out ,,u know arabic or have you even bothered to study the "koran"..the enemy code-book,,just what the bud are u gonna teach me bud/girl,,have another drink and get offed in your sleep by the "body-snatchers" ha,ha,,the truth is stranger than fiction once you realize you havre been ROLLED over,,go figure dirty white boy,,i admit i am a dirty -white -boy
Speaking of a comedy of errors did you actually read what you wrote?
Secondly do you truly understand what you wrote?

As for another drink, it won't matter how many I have, what you have written will never make sence.
Closed Thread

Tags
Caribbean