Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 13:34   #1

Caribbean Island Hopping

Good afternoon all!
What are your opinions, comments and/or suggestions when it comes to island hopping through the Caribbean with regards to islands that require proof of an onward/return ticket when coming on to the island? Is there a way around it?
mtjewell81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Caribbean Island Hopping

normally a credit card is enough to satisfy the immigration that you have funds availablle to buy an onward ticket if from a 1st world country
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
normally a credit card is enough to satisfy the immigration that you have funds availablle to buy an onward ticket if from a 1st world country
Expect the unexpected in Trinidad. I know, I know - some of you have had very good experiences there.

But beware, the crew you deal with once will not necessarily be the same crew you deal with the following day - so resolving a problem runs up against a brick wall immediately.

The crews rotate monthly, so if you manage to arrive at the cusp of a change you may get a bad group.

Also, be aware there is only one person who is authorized to deal with your passport who can be problematic.

Worst immigration experience I've ever had. And that's saying a lot since I've nearly completed two circumnavigations.

Good luck.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

trinidad is probably the exception rather than the rule,not being a major tourist destination unlike islands to the north
Old 05-08-2013, 13:50   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi! French Polynesia (South Pacific) requires you to have proof of a home-bound airline return ticket; very strict about it, unless you're fluent in French or in Tahitian (little known fact). In the Caribbean, not all islands have such requirement; check individual island's website. Just make it known to their Immigration/Entry, that you will neither conduct business while vacationing nor carry cash in excess of $10K USD. Sail away!

Mauritz
Old 05-08-2013, 14:27   #6

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I was asked if I had a return ticket when I cleared into St. Kitts, but that was at the airport. Why would they ask you if you had a return ticket if you sail into port? Am I missing something?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 14:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I was asked if I had a return ticket when I cleared into St. Kitts, but that was at the airport. Why would they ask you if you had a return ticket if you sail into port? Am I missing something?
I could be mistaken, but it makes a difference if you are crew as opposed to an owner/captain of the vessel.

So, if you had not made clear which of them you are they may have assumed you were crew.
Old 05-08-2013, 14:37   #8

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Oh, my bad, I had just got off the plane. If I sailed in would they assume I was sailing out?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 14:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi! French Polynesia (South Pacific) requires you to have proof of a home-bound airline return ticket; very strict about it, unless you're fluent in French or in Tahitian (little known fact). In the Caribbean, not all islands have such requirement; check individual island's website. Just make it known to their Immigration/Entry, that you will neither conduct business while vacationing nor carry cash in excess of $10K USD. Sail away!

Mauritz
My experience entering French Polynesia through Tahiti is you have two choices. Either show proof you have a return ticket or pay a bond. The bond is equal to the amount of an airline ticket if you fall afoul of the rules, are deemed persona non grata, etc., and are told to leave. Essentially you've deposited with the French authorities money they'll use to buy your ticket to the nearest possession or territory necessary to repatriate you.

Thanks to the Pacific Puddle jump, organized by Latitude 38 - people who join the function are entitled to enter French Polynesia without depositing the bond. As long as people keep their nose clean, this will be an option. Otherwise,...
Old 05-08-2013, 14:40   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Oh, my bad, I had just got off the plane. If I sailed in would they assume I was sailing out?
Yes, they would. No need for airline tickets, unless you have crew who will be leaving your boat.
Old 05-08-2013, 14:43   #11

I never experienced this when sailing in the 90s in the windwards.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 14:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i normally just smile,and ask the immigration if they know what the cricket score is,as they stamp me in
Old 05-08-2013, 15:11   #13

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

By far the most relaxed immigration/entry/exit is that of the French Antilles. Speak French with them, and you become one of them; never ever had any issues with a French territory or while visiting France (CDG Airport).

Mauritz
Old 06-08-2013, 03:36   #14

Thanks everyone for the replies. All good stuff to think about. I really think I need to take some lessons in French and study the game of cricket.
mtjewell81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post

Mauritz
Mauritz - that is not correct, it applies only to non-EU visitors to French Polynesia. And one doesn't necessarily need a ticket but can post a cash bond instead.

None of Caribbean islands require an airline ticket when clearing in via boat.

Tags
Caribbean, rib