Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2012, 00:30   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Caribbean Christmas - What to do?

No question that the BVI has a lot to offer. It's good to hear that it is not too crowded, but I think that will change beginning at Christmas. Still, there are many anchorages there that the bare boats aren't (or at least weren't) allowed to go, including Anegada reef.

I think the larger point is that there are a whole lot of great places to go in the islands, and everyone has their favorites, for their own reasons. Anywhere in the islands beats spending the holidays in the soggy northwest...

Greg

Old 08-08-2012, 00:53   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
No question that the BVI has a lot to offer. It's good to hear that it is not too crowded, but I think that will change beginning at Christmas. Still, there are many anchorages there that the bare boats aren't (or at least weren't) allowed to go, including Anegada reef.

I think the larger point is that there are a whole lot of great places to go in the islands, and everyone has their favorites, for their own reasons. Anywhere in the islands beats spending the holidays in the soggy northwest...

Greg
Yeah Greg ... to true ... have not yet had a Christmas here ... only Christmas in July which chased most boats home on account of an 'approaching tropical storm'. Will have to see although I will probably be in the Bahamas come Christmas and down to the Pacific come mid Jan/Feb

impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I was suggesting a few Caribbean islands that are worth visiting, and were not too pricey. In no way I was suggesting to sail the entire Caribbean in two weeks! Anguilla and St. Barths are very beautiful, but also very pricey. Get a good travel guide to the Caribbean, then plan your trip accordingly; I recommend "Frommer's Caribbean", as my favorite guide book. Sail away!
Old 21-08-2012, 20:50   #19

Ok, lots of advice, so I'll just put my favorites out there.
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia is one of the cheapest US/Caribbean tickets (big planes US direct) and the airport is less than 2 miles from the anchorage. Good shopping at local prices at a great supermarket walking distance to the boat.
Tobago Cays for a West Indian lobster dinner on the beach was our choice for Christmas dinner. Great snorkeling and you will see many (not just a few, I guarantee) wild turtles in the turtle area. Fresh bread and fruit brought to the boat each morning by enterprising locals.
Bequia has an incredible New Year's Eve celebration with fireworks about midnight. Rum punch, dancing and great music EVERYWHERE.
And real sailing, some of the best I've had in the Caribbean; we call them "romps" between the islands down there (smaller lees and better angles on the wind).

Tags
Caribbean, christmas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: