Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00   #1

Cape Verde or Canaries to leave boat?

Hi, wondering if any of you have experience of leaving a boat unattended (in my case it will be for about six months) either in the Canaries or Cape Verde?

Location wise, for the later onward crossing to Brazil, I would prefer Mindelo Marina in the CV's. They have no haul out and the marina has its fans and detractors. We were there for 10 days a year ago and the security seems perfectly good within the marina. The dire crime warnings, I thought looked pretty out of date and at least within the marina not relevant. The weather/sea safety of the marina is not 100 pct, as they don't have their own breakwater. The management swear protection is year-round. They apparently did have several boats that had been left there longterm in the water and there were 'boatboys' to check on lines etc, but I didn't talk to anyone with real experience of how a longterm, unattended stay had gone. Anyone done that?

If the Canaries, then where -- either in or out of water.

As far as I can see price wise there is little in it between CVs and Cs. More of question of whether boat is safely left.

Thanks very much.
SebastianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Re: Cape Verde or Canaries to leave boat?

If I were you, its got to be the Canaries. Choose from Marina Rubicon on Lanzarotte, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria or Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Excellent communications, Tax free status. 1st world values. It's only a few days sail from the Canaries to Cape Verde, if you want to stop on the way.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

If cost is any consideration, I would leave it in Las Palmas as Marina Rubicon is much more expensive.

Matt
Old 03-12-2014, 11:58   #4

Hi, anyone else with experience in Cape Verde? The CVs take a good chunk of the onward passage to southern Caribbean or Brazil, where I might be aiming for later in the year, so their position is excellent. Canaries definitely have more opportunity for storage, but interested if anyone has had experience in Mindelo on anything more than a few days in harbor, which is what we did there a year ago.
thanks
SebastianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, Canaries, Cape Verde