Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-02-2016, 08:21   #16

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Re: Cape May to Block Island Singlehanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I just chucked it up on the computer. I haven't done that trip so this is just what I would do:
Its 200nms exact from Cape May harbour
I don't see why it wouldn't be a straight shot. I certainly wouldn't shore hug.
Its 36 hours.
Leave at dawn. Arrive late next day before dark.
Cross those shipping channels at night is easy.
As soon as 10nms off the coast there is no leisure boating to worry about.
I would wait for a 3 day weather window because if you get into trouble it takes a day to sort out so I would say: passage time 36 hours + 24 hours = 2 1/2 days therefore I need a 3 day weather window

Well, that's the way I look at it anyway there may be local factors I don't know about.
Very Good Advice.

I will add that I have done this trip twice and would emphasize:

Wait for a good weather window. That will make the trip totally enjoyable.

Stay away from the coast; near the coast is the only place something bad can happen.

I love AIS and for the $600 it costs to do send/receive it's so worth it, but you don't need it. and did it once without.

If you have good weather, with fair winds, consider direct from Block Isl to Norfolk.

I too hate the coasts of MD and NJ. Bad, difficult inlets, that are few and far between. Avoid at all costs, especially in bad weather and fog.

While traffic is almost nil, you will see a few FV. A good radar alarm is important for a single hander. Figure out how to adjust the gain so that that radar does not see wave tops, but will see boats within a mile.

Leaving at sunrise works, but is not very critical.

Have fun.

Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:42   #17

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
In addition if you are towing a dinghy on this leg you will be very happy you planned ahead and fitted a painter well over 50 feet (yes, fifty!) each time the hard dink rises to the top of a big following sea and threatens to come aboard at the wrong time.
May be this is just me. I would rather haul the dingy on the deck. I have seen many towing the dingy up and down the coast and crossing the gulf stream. It really does fit well with me. Towing a dingy for a day sail trip in Chesapeake Bay is one thing, making a voyage is another. Often I don't even want to put the dingy on a davit. I put on the front deck.

YMMV.

Old 24-02-2016, 09:26   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Sloop - s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
May be this is just me. I would rather haul the dingy on the deck. I have seen many towing the dingy up and down the coast and crossing the gulf stream. It really does fit well with me. Towing a dingy for a day sail trip in Chesapeake Bay is one thing, making a voyage is another. Often I don't even want to put the dingy on a davit. I put on the front deck.

YMMV.
You may recall that the discussion relates to a very specific coastal leg with which I've become intimate over the decades. Perhaps "YMMV" refers to foredeck real estate, and then perhaps it does not. On my 28 footer it does.

I have towed hard dinks up and down the coast for decades, and have encountered both good and bad results in so doing. The vast majority were "good" and I can report that I've never lost the small boat. That does not mean that each effort was 100% successful, and a few were harrowing. In retrospect it seems to boil down to the type of small boat, the specific route, the care and preparations put into the tow, and if all else fails, the knowledge and experience of the person doing the towing. Indeed I can see how "YMMV" is likely a reasonable view.

BTW I can include a handful of successful Gulf Stream crossings but these were limited to short hops to the Bahamas, Cuba, and slightly beyond. On one crossing from FL to Bermuda, that small boat went on the foredeck, and it was one of the most inconvenient arrangements I can remember (although definitely necessary). On subsequent Bermuda trips I packed an inflatable rather than a hard boat.

This is like the "anchor/Hitler" thingie online where everything inevitably dissolves into a towing versus not towing exchange.
kerrydeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:12   #19

Definitely have a good radar that you are use to using, not only the top of NJ has a bit of fog, so will Montauk area/Block Island.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:17   #20

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
Perhaps "YMMV" refers to foredeck real estate, and then perhaps it does not. On my 28 footer it does.
Yes, I agree. You need to do what you must in the situation.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:08   #21

Thanks all. I cut my dinghy in half last spring. It doesn't nest, because the seats are still in for flotation. The front half goes just in front of the mast and the back goes on the cabin top. I've yet to assemble it in anger but I have bolted it together. If need be I think I can flop into the larger half and hope for a rescue if I couldn't put it together in time. I'm pondering having an impact wrench on top of the boat purely for putting it together in a hurry.
Old 05-05-2016, 17:19   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523

Travel this route normally twice a year for 10 years, up and down the coast and beyond.
You will have to be alert for the fishing trawlers that are numerous and confusing, at night. There are more boats out in the fishing grounds of NY than any where on the east coast. There lights are very bright and we watch them closely on radar, but it is a pain.
Take someone with you if you can
Old 05-05-2016, 21:18   #23
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Cape May & Block Island, both named after Dutchmen who first charted them. They had no maps, no GPS, no AIS, no radar, no VHF, no depthsounder other than a crew member with a leadline and still got away with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
single

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: