Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 16:11   #1

Boat: Tashiba 31
Cape Brenton to Florida

I am buying a 30 Baba sailboat on Lake Michigan and thinking about to sailing out the St Lawrence Seaway to Cape Brenton then South, East of Bermuda and at 31 degrees latitude I'll turn right (West) and head for Jacksonville. Avoiding Cape Hatteras. Which would be better, travelling July or August and would it take less than 30 days or more, sailing non-stop. I estimate at 2000 miles. Or would you truck it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Rhubarbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Cape Brenton to Florida

Or do the Erie Canal?

Or come down the Atlantic coast.

I think the answer lies within. Any of the options work.

Do you have the time?

It's a new to you boat, you may find a few wrinkles. Can you afford to let it sit somewhere if it breaks down?

Do you have that kind of sea time to take this on?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:45   #3
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarbx3 View Post
I am buying a 30 Baba sailboat on Lake Michigan and thinking about to sailing out the St Lawrence Seaway to Cape Brenton then South, East of Bermuda and at 31 degrees latitude I'll turn right (West) and head for Jacksonville. Avoiding Cape Hatteras. Which would be better, travelling July or August and would it take less than 30 days or more, sailing non-stop. I estimate at 2000 miles. Or would you truck it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Direct from Cape Breton to Florida, passing E of Bermuda?

In AUGUST ?

You may wish to reconsider that plan... :-)

Plenty of great options, it would help if you gave some hint as to how much time you will have available to make the trip...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 18:49   #4

I would do the inland water ways then follow the coast. With a new boat it will provide an excellent shakedown cruise while remaining close to services and parts when issues arise. And once you get to NYC, there are plenty of longer hops you can do to get some 24x7 operation time in as well as day hopping.

If a boat runs for 1hr, it's likely to run for another 1hr. If it runs for 10hrs, it's likely to run for another 10hrs. If it runs for 100hrs, it's likely to run for another 100hrs. But you need to get through those first 1, 10, 100hrs to build confidence in a boat.
Old 19-03-2015, 08:14   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Either way it will be a great trip. I would not come South of Cape Cod offshore at that time of year! Also for that size of boat you can have a great trip doing the Erie Canal, then down the Hudson and ICW south. The later in the fall the better as for heat and bugs! If you have your heart set on going out the ST Lawrence it should be a spring time trip. Offshore to Jax will be a lot of head butting with prevailing currents. It would be faster to go East of Bermuda, then down to the middle Bahamas and back up to Northern Fla.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida