Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 15:56   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Canouan Naked Swimming Thief... Caught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Not everyone cruising has the internet bandwidth to be able to watch videos.
Nor the desire. I just don't watch any of these videos.
Old 10-09-2019, 17:09   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
How can we? The post has no content, just a provocative title. I don’t consider video to be forum suitable content and don’t ever watch it.

If the OP doesn’t respect us enough to actually compose and type out his/her thoughts why should we bother?
Right!

It's generally considered poor etiquette to post a bare link or video. If you can't be bothered to spend a few moments summarizing the linked story or video, then maybe it's not worth posting.

Or, at least, don't ask the mods to silence those who politely make suggestions which may help your posts get more interest.
Old 10-09-2019, 19:04   #18

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Ha! I am 63 but apparently am still younger at heart than some of the fuddy duddies above. News Flash! The kids of today like video! And we need more of them to sail so why piss in their boot when they post some info that is actually useful?
Old 11-09-2019, 05:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The kids of today like video!
I'm older than you, and I like videos, too. At least, when they are not a long, rambling, boring, self-indulgent waste of my time. Sadly, only a very small percentage of the videos that get posted qualify.

Usually, within the first 10-15 seconds you can tell if the video is going to get to the point and be worthwhile, or if it just going to be another narcissistic cry for attention. I watched about 15 seconds of the linked video, and then closed the window. I have better things to do than spend time watching someone who never grew out of the "look at me!" phase that most 3-5 year olds go through.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:20   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I don't think the question was whether or not any individual (young or old) likes video.

The point is, some of us old fuddy-duddies have a life, and may not want to spend it zoning out in front of long, pointless videos. Even if lots of kids do.

I was just saying it's considered common courtesy to at least describe the point of your post.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:30   #21

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Can someone tell me the story in a few words. I don't have bandwidth for videos, and I have some epoxy waiting for me tata...
Old 11-09-2019, 06:37   #22

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Can someone tell me the story in a few words. I don't have bandwidth for videos, and I have some epoxy waiting for me tata...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
It seems like the Canouan Naked Swimming Thief may have finally been caught (and dealt some local justice)?

https://www.noonsite.com/place/st-vi...?type=security

WindHippieSailing Holly Martin
E20: Man Apprehended During Break-in on Boat Next To Me and Turtles in Tobago Cays
I thought the brief summary was pretty clear. For people who this is relevant to the thief is well known as 'the naked swimmer'. He has now been caught.

For those who would like to either read or view more info I included both the Noonsite link as well as the eye witness video testimony.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:46   #23

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Not sure why the fuddy duddys keep wasting their precious bandwidth by continuing to post here and derail the thread if it is not relevant to them?

If it is relevant, then there are two sentences in the first post (quoted in bold, above) that provide an extremely concise summary of the situation. Further info is available if so desired by clicking the links. If it's not desired, just keep browsing. Simple.

It's both a pity as well as a poor reflection on a certain generation that derailing the thread with multiple unhelpful and irrelevant posts seems to be more important instead.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:02   #24

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Why does everything have to be a video? Can't anyone type any more?

Too bad, it might have been an interesting read.
Thanks for posting the video. For most ctuisers it can be a problem to download a video. This one was very long and didn't get to the point about the burglar until the very end.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14   #25

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
We happened to be on the receiving end of one of this chap's (maybe there's more than one) long distance swim. Everything was locked and we woke up while he was trying to force the door open. Anyway, long story short, we identified him. Our report is one CSSN.
He's been involved in many thefts, in jail and then out and carrying on. His fingers have been cut by an irate local before that he tried to steal from and it has not stopped him. Obviously local business has suffered and they're trying to fix it but this has been going on and off for years. And he's a damn good swimmer.
Moderators, please delete all posts prior to this above quoted one, then we can have a decent on-topic thread. THANKS BLACKIE!
Old 11-09-2019, 11:10   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Thanks for posting the video. For most ctuisers it can be a problem to download a video. This one was very long and didn't get to the point about the burglar until the very end.

Tried to watch. Watch lots of videos. The best I can say is that one was overly long, rambling, pointless and boring.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
For people who this is relevant to the thief is well known as 'the naked swimmer'. He has now been caught.
A more accurate statement might be that he has been caught AGAIN. It's not the first time he has been caught, and he just keeps coming back. I'm not going to hold my breath, hoping that this time is the last time.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:44   #28
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

If you don't have the bandwidth to watch videos, don't watch them! No one is making you, maybe think about your sense of entitlement? Subsequently wasting your bandwidth and precious time complaining about it afterwards is just hypocritical.

No one owes you anything.
Old 16-09-2019, 07:29   #29

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, you shouldn't have to transcribe it. It should never have been a video in the first place. It should have been written up in three paragraphs or so, rather than put into a long, boring, self-indulgent video.

(Which is kind of a redundant description, since 99% of the videos on the internet are long, boring, and self-indulgent.)
I guess you are using an old 286 DOS computer with a CGA monitor? You go on the internet just to read text? Try Usenet for information. You would be happier.

further, a text story would not show you those big boobs. I didn’t notice her face in the whole video.
Old 16-09-2019, 08:48   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Thanks for reminding me, why I don't use this forum much.

So full of old entitled farts that has nothing better to do than to let the rest of the world know their every little personal preference.

Moderators are no where to be found, and everything drowns in irrelevant chit chat.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE VIDEOS, JUST LET IT GO. YOU DON'T NEED TO POST SOMETHING IN ALL THREADS. YOU ARE NOT THAT INTERESTING.

So here you have it, yet another irrelevant post
First, this is a public forum and everyone it entitled to post an opinion, regardless of your preferences in the matter. If you can't accept that then you can, as you recommend, ignore the posts you don't like.

And not all of the contrary opinions were from "entitled old farts".

And to use your own words, apparently more than a few on the forum don't think you are that interesting either.
Closed Thread