Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 15:47   #1

Boat: 34' custom steel cutter
Can you anchor in Miami harbor?

I am picking up crew flying into Miami international. Is there a place where a boat can anchor near the airport? If anchoring is not allowed, can anyone recommend a cheap marina for a 34' sailboat for a couple of nights in late March? Any cheap marinas for transients near the airport? Many thanks!
Les Bechdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 16:58   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I think there are some place where you could anchor with out any troble
but not sure where- sorry
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 19:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
If you turn east just north of and close to the Rickenbacker Causeway you will come to a small mooring field in front of the Rusty Pelican Restaurant. Leaving the restaurant to starboard and the small island to port you will enter the area of the Marine Stadium. We frequently anchor here for a couple of days at a time. You could pick up your friends if they take a taxi from the airport. You will see a marina on the south side of the restaurant. The airport is not close to any available waterway. Another choice for anchoring or marina would be in the area of Dinner Key at Coconut Grove south of the Causeway on the west shore of Biscayne Bay. From this area buses will run to and from the airport. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:46   #4

Watch you dingy in Dinner Key, they have a habit of disappearing.
jawfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:50   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Lots of spots to anchor but I would not leave a boat there unattended overnight. Best bet for a marina would be Pelican Harbor Marina, a county marina or get a mooring at Crandon Park marina on Key Biscayne, another county marina.
Old 30-01-2009, 06:55   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you just want to pick up crew anchor off South Beach just south of the Venetian causeway and get the crew to take a cab to near the Publix at Collins Canal. You can dink into the canal and pick them up. Check it out on your charts. It's a great spot.
Old 30-01-2009, 06:59   #7

Boat: Boatless
My boat is anchored off Dinner Key which is 2 miles south of Richenbacker Causway. It is a nicer place to stay than Marine Stadium because of access to The Grove.
We have been there for a month without trouble...

You can get a guest mooring at Coconut Grove Sailing Club where I am a member for $30/night with showers and a 24/7 launch service.

www.CGSC.org
Taxi from airtport is $25

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 07:22   #8

Boat: 34' custom steel cutter
Wow, isn't this forum the greatest thing! Thanks everyone for your advice, it sounds like there are several options. Fair winds to all!
Les Bechdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 15:41   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you just want to pick up crew anchor off South Beach just south of the Venetian causeway and get the crew to take a cab to near the Publix at Collins Canal. You can dink into the canal and pick them up. Check it out on your charts. It's a great spot.
I'm not familiar with this canal. Are their places here where one can safely leave their dinghy to explore south beach or spend time at the Publix?
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:38   #10

Boat: Nauticat 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Sea Sprite
You can also anchor outside Miami Yacht Club and for a smaller temporary membership fee use their facilities like, the restaurant & Bar, dingy dock (fenced area and secure) as well as organice taxi transport through the freindly personel in the office. Personally I spend 2 weeks safe anchoring (including dingy) last January and had an enjoyable time in Miami City as well as Miami Beach.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28   #11

Boat: s/v Dharma and s/v This End Up!
hi

nautical62,
I am moored at The Miami yacht club right now. I pay 16.50 a day for dinghy docking and they charge you 30 bucks for the week which they give you back food vouchers good for drinks and good conch fritters or other food at the lattitudes bar on site The canal that they are talking about is east of Monument island, you will see a couple of big sailboats anchored in front of a pink building in a little cove, you pass those and you will see the canal that runs along Dade Blvd. I park my dinghy across from the Publix on the canal and have never had a problem as there are always a couple of cruisiers there parked. good access to Alton Rd. too for shopping

Fair Winds
NautiHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:53   #12

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiHippie View Post
nautical62,
I am moored at The Miami yacht club right now. I pay 16.50 a day for dinghy docking and they charge you 30 bucks for the week ...
NautiHippie,

Are you actually on a Miami Yacht Club mooring, or on the hook? We'll be in Miami for the Strictly Sail show, and are looking for options to anchoring. We'll have some friends flying in from the Northeast, and we don't want to have to dinghy 3 or 4 miles to get to the show. We could just catch a cab from the nearest dinghy landing, though...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11   #13

Boat: s/v Dharma and s/v This End Up!
transient sailors

We are on the hook about 100 yards from the dinghy dock in front of the yacht club about a minute ride to the dinghy dock so it's pretty nice. My other boat (Dharma) is on the south-east side of the anchorage and it takes me about 3 minutes to get to the yacht club. The anchorage is free but there no where to park the dinghy unless you pay (trust me don't leave your dink at the public docks next to the yacht club, this is Miami). We are registered as transient sailors at the yacht club and it's 50 dollars a week and 16.50 a day for the dinghy docking, They give you 30 dollars in food vouchers for the week and have a great(read $2 draft beers and $3 for a dozen wings) happy hour, clean nice showers, and nice staff so we think it's worth it As a side note about 15 minutes to Publix in a dinghy and the club will get a cab for you if you need it. Let me know if you need any info before you get here and I will try to find out for you.
NautiHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, miami