Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 20:32   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
C&D Canal - Underwater Pile ?

Coming up from SSCA yesterday, motoring through the C&D canal I came to a spot with a bit of a tight turn. I could see a barge behind a power yacht and a small sailboat. All coming my way. If you look at chart 12277, go to
N39 32 07
W75 46 54

I was heading East, the power boat, sail boat and barge where ahead of me in that order.

The barge must have been crowding the North shore because I lost sight of him for a while. I could see the sail boat heading my way and I wanted to give him as much room as possible so I hugged the South shore. Obviously I was concentrating on the unfolding scene when, as the barge was developing back into full sight, I hit something - HARD. It lifted us fully a foot out of the water and we slid right back in, slightly a canter. 5.8 knots.

I called the Coast Guard and reported it. They said they would check their charts and see if there was an obstruction about there.

An obstruction???? In the C&D canal??????

Now, after the fact, looking at the chart I must have wacked the "pile" that lies at that location. If it was the pile I hit it fair and square with my keel. Thank God for steel. She draws 6-1/2, we were at the top of an extra high tide.

No I'm not gonna make excuses for not seeing that note "Pile." I was looking after business not playing video games on the chart plotter.

To my mind a "Pile" is something that sticks above the water. I can tell you there is no "pile" of that definition there. There may well be a "submurged pile," in fact I'm pretty well sure of it.

This hit, taken in a differently constructed boat, could have been catastrophic. This "thing" what ever it is, probably lies within a foot or two of the water at low tide.

Now all of this is conjecture, all I know for sure is that I wacked something stouter than 22 tons of steel just in front of the small old cemetery with the big brown cross headstone.

I am going to go over these charts and mark any other similar "obstructions" before transiting again. You may wish to use similar caution.

BTW, I never heard to CG make an announcement about any potential danger.

Sometimes I feel as though God likes to reach down and thwack me with his finger on the back of the head once in a while, just for kicks. WTF???
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 01:10   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
If there is an obstruction it would come out in the weekly notice to mariners,,,,,,available for download, if it was something not charted they would most likely notify the canal pilots
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 01:17   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving
there is a book with all the chart symbols that you can purchase, forgot the name at the moment,,,,the pile can be above or below water,,,, as I am looking at the chart online, not the best indicator,,, it does show a depth of 6 feet at that spot,,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 04:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are speaking of "Chart 1" which can be downloaded for free.

Piles are found in F22 (Ports) for exposed piles (the symbol used) and K43 (Rocks, Wrecks, Obstructions) for submerged piles.

The depth gauge on my boat read 43' before and after the "event." I had looked at the sounder just seconds before striking and again, obviously once my eyeballs stopped shaking. I think my sounder is a little off vertical and is on the Port side which would favor a higher reading. But 6' would be nearly a shear wall.

Also, I think that the 'pile' was further off the bank than indicated. But, I may have been fooled due to the high tide. It's all subjective.

Just be aware and be careful.
Old 29-09-2010, 05:38   #5
cruiser

You said that the barge was ahead of you and the rest of the text implied that the barge was moving in the same direction as you. A large deep draft vessel can certainly stir up the bottom enough to shake up a large dead head log. You might have just gotten "lucky" and came into contact with a large log on its way back to the bottom.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 06:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

If it was the pile I hit it fair and square with my keel. Thank God for steel. She draws 6-1/2, we were at the top of an extra high tide.
One day, I'll have me one of those
Old 29-09-2010, 10:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jeff,

Sorry for the confusion - I was headed East, all three other boats were headed West, they were all coming in my direction. That is why I was crowding the lane, to give the little guy as much room as possible.

The power boat was nearly abeam, the smaller sail boat was a couple of hundred yards ahead, then the barge coming up behind them.

I had relatively still water.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:54   #8

Boat: Beneteau 50
Any chance of doing a screen capture and posting a picture of where it is?

Very serious. Glad it went ok for you.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 12:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's see if this works. Just right of center, over Bethel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pile.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	19668  
Old 29-09-2010, 12:30   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
screen shot i think

Hadn't used open cpn before. Started playing with it. Very nice. Here is where I see this happening. looks like 6' water and a piling.
glad all was well
Attached Files
File Type: doc canal pile.doc (253.0 KB, 101 views)
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 12:39   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Let's see if this works. Just right of center, over Bethel.
THAT's your problem - you were using Fugawi!!
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 14:12   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nope, I've got Fugawi as a back up on my lap top. Using a Raymarine C-80 plotter.

And, it may look like 6 feet of water, but when I struck I had 43. Well, not EXACTLY where I struck, or I wouldn't have struck.

I just don't think I was that far over.

Whether or not I did something stupid is immaterial. I think others could have done the same thing. I just wanted to point out a "got-cha" so someone else can avoid the same issue, possibly with worse results.