Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:24   #1

Boat: DeFever 50 CMY
BVIs -Customs & Immigration Regulations

The guidebooks say 30 days is what's allowable to remain in the British Virgin Islands with your boat. Folks are telling me one cannot extend beyond the 30 days and cannot cruise out of the BVI and then return to start the clock ticking again. Can anyone give me the real scoop?? We want to stay 6 - 8 weeks! Thanks in advance! Sharon aboard Finally Fun
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31   #2

Re: BVIs -Customs & Immigration Regulations

We payed attention to the 30 day rule but never were hassled when we returned 2-weeks later.Great Harbor on Yost is pretty accommadating
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bona fide visitors may be granted entry for up to one month at the ports of entry.
Visitors wishing to stay longer will need to apply for an extension from the Immigration Department in Road Town, Tortola, or at the Government Administration Building in Virgin Gorda.
BVI Marine Guide:Clearance Procedures

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

At some point they will require you to import your boat (temporarily). You need to check into when that kicks in (I think it's after 30 days!). It costs $200 for a year, if I recall correctly.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The number of days you are granted upon entry can depend upon your immigration official, I had a junior one tell me he was only allowed to do 20 days and I'd have to get the senior one to give me 30. I've also extended beyond the 30 days twice so far, once in Road Town and once on Virgin Gorda. It was not easy to do in either case (the first time my rudder had broken and I was awaiting parts and had to produce documentation of all type, the second time was frustrating as after waiting over 4 hours in line in Road Town the gent told me that I had to come back the next day (and wait another 4 hours) with an official printout of my airline tickets).
It is much easier to get the ferry to the USVI and leave the BVI officially, then return on the same ferry an hour later.
The temporary importation of the boat is normally required, but even there the officials may or may not check to see if you have paid for it. Considering the financial troubles in the BVI and the fact that they've raised the fees for the immigration forms (I had to pay $1 for the form last week instead of the customary $.25) they will probably be enforcing the temporary importation fees more closely this year.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BVIs -Customs & Immigration Regulations

I spent 10 weeks in the BVI's in '06 waiting for a boat deal to come through.. went to Immigration for an extention... need a valid reason for the stay and proof of that reason.. cost me something like $25 all told.. no pain..
The pain came from the $100/night it was costing me for a room... food extra out of house...
Ahhh... Glory days... no $500/mth budget back then....lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:12   #7

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

As has been stated above, most of the time you can get 30 and will need to go into the C & I offices in town to request extensions. All is really up to the officer you see. Most of the time you can get extensions for a valid reason. Thing I never liked was having to wait so long in the office lobby.

You can be in the BVI a total of 6 months within a 12 month time frame. Going in and out is not a problem normally but again it is up to the officer.

It is easy to check out and hop over to USVI and hang for a "while". As was said earlier I know of many who only spend a few hours out but I usually took a few days hanging around St John and doing shopping, swimming and hikes that are interesting.

If you are the boat owner, and you are a US Citizen the trip to USVI is really simple if you get the Frequent Boaters certificate. You then just call in your entry and can head directly to your mooring such as just a mile away from West End Tortola to Waterlemon Bay on St John then return when you get tired of the stuff available to do there. St. John is probably more interesting than most islands in the BVI but few take the time to visit.

Tags
customs, regulations