Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2016, 10:57   #16

Boat: mastercraft xstar 24'
Re: BVI trip feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post
Glad you had a good trip. We had a wonderful time as well. Overall another great experience. It is a beautiful place, and we do still love it there. I liked late season as well. It was nice to know you didn't have to worry about picking up a ball since the crowds were thinned out (we only had trouble at Trellis Bay due to all the liveaboards having most of the mooring balls). Even though dropping an anchor is easy enough. However, everything is relative...

Are there other islands where you feel the folks are more friendly and appreciative of your being there? That have charters available, along with the beauty and variety of places to visit? We'll do some research and find out next trip. Appreciate the recc. of St. Maarten. No Belize for me though.

Problem with going during hurricane season is the unknown. You would not have been so happy if Matthew had been located near BVI's at the time you went. Cancelling all of your plans and using that travel insurance you hopefully got would be a pain. And there are several of the popular stops that are closed down. We missed supper at the Last Resort due to their being closed already. And many more were closing within the two weeks after we were there. I would not have gone had it been just one week later.

We're not afraid to walk. Just not at night in Road Town. Plus it was hot and muggy that particular night. Not a good night for a walk regardless.

If the BVI's are losing ground in financial services income, then they had better reconsider how they are handling torurism.

I have no where near the depth of all the different island experience of others on here and everybody has a different list of what makes it enjoyable to them...but I would have to say my experiences on St. John blow every other place I have been to away. To me it seems like all the nice stuff about the Caribbean without (most) the questionable stuff. Admittedly I need to explore more places though, which is sort of the fun part : )

Regarding chartering during hurricane season, and having lived through a direct hit of Hurricane Odile in Mexico a couple of years ago...I get how serious they are, but still they are rare. It has been over 20 years since a big one hit, and I'm hopefully smart enough to get out of its way when you know it is coming. There is a hell of a lot less risk in me chartering during this time of year vs. the other crazy adventures I go on. I think you just have to use caution and good judgment. Its a great place but to me its a lot better when you have the whole place to yourself and the warmest weather.

The other places that are tops on my list to charter: the south pacific and Croatia...just a little harder to get to though.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:36   #17

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post

There are very very few bvislanders that are able to enjoy the fruits of this so called tax haven. Everything of use to a BVI slander is taxed like crazy.

There are not an abundance of jobs available to the average or higher educated bvislander. The options for employment for well over 80% of the population are limited to hotel, restaurant, water sports, retail, construction, and government.

A small percent of locals are very entrepreneurial but most seek out employment created by someone else, which is not uncommon for any country.

As far as sailing goes, the BVI market has reached saturation. There are only so many places for companies to slip boats and only so many places to put moorings. I can't believe the prices the charter companies get for a week.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com

Old 10-10-2016, 12:35   #18

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

we have had marvelous sailing vacations in the BVI,,,,for over 32 years' Next two week trip ( # 15 ) will be in May 2017.

As to the islands themselves and the people that we have met, it has been outstanding.

We have bareboated with the moorings, sun sail, sun yachts, and last year conch charters.

We sail monohulls and in may have had great winds 15 to 24, Double reefed, jib rolled in to a 100 to 125 % lapper'. When sailing downwind for short passages, we rolled out the full jib, no main such as White Bay to Canegarden or Soppers hole.

Total fuel used for two weeks circumnavigating the island was 7.2 gallons. The last many years it was just Erica and I, did not use the GPS, we used coastal navigation and paper charts. We noted our pos every 30 minutes to one hour depending on the distances,, . Fewer notations between the Bight on Norman to Leverick Bay, virgin gorda sound. Spirited sails that we both love. Great photos by Yacht shots, reefed down, bit of a heel, strong winds and sea, and no weather helm.

We actually sailed every passage, with the exception of a 30 minute motor from Marina Cay to monkey point , guana island...always great snorkeling.

BVI people are on island time, but we bring our own aloha,, and have had great times with them at the many different anchorages and beach bars. If they are not quick, we understand, and we bring our own good time.

Now, it actually breaks my heart to see what the moorings has turned into, in regard to their boats and their prices. Some of the same for Sunsail, but sunsail's vessels were in better shape. However, the last several years the moorings and sunsail are part of the TUI world wide conglomerate, as is footloose.

The last moorings boat, 35 monohull, after our boat check out, we do one of our own, Prior to departure I found a large teat near the tack of the main. So I went up and reported it. They said they would send someone down. We,,, the inspector said he would have the sail loft change out the main.

We finished our personal pre check...no body showed.

What had happened, a previous charterer, had reefed incorectly and the rams horn had tore thru the lower part of the main .

I walked up to the sail loft, none of them even knew we had a problem.

I told them we would double reef the main, leave it in, and there would not be any stress on mainsail tear, and that I had covered it with sail tape. With the strong winds almost daily, the double reef worked perfect.

When we returned, We had written uo 16 squawks. For the return, the moorings sent down a young woman from the office with a clip board and a pen. I explained each problem....her pen would touch the paper and stop. She had no clue as to boat terminology,,,nothing was written down. Last moorings boat for us.

However, we found that the pool bar staff, chart briefer, restaurant staff, and mariner inn staff were great. Also, we did not let any of the problems with the boat detract from our sailing vacation.

The next year we went with sunsail, great jeanneau 36 i, but, the following tear, we found their charges have caught with the moorings.

So, we called conch charters, save about $ 1500, for a 36i for two weeks., family owned, super friendly staff and owners, actually fun personalities, and we had ROCKET..everything was excellent in all categories,,,,

As mentioned we have booked far ahead for BVI trip #15, in may.

The sad thing about the moorings was seeing the changes from when the Carries who started the charter biz in the BVI, and how great it was, being sold to the TUI corporation. All those wonderful moorings memories are still in our hearts.....but things change.

The moorings was our first international bareboat experience...that morphed into, the windwards and grenadines, the french west indies, the abacos, bahamas, australia, tahiti. tonga, Ireland and greece.

Positive side, is that we absolutely love sailing the BVI and will continue to do so, and finding new anchorages and islands , people and beach bars.

With boats, even if your own your own, stuff happens, hopefully those things can be kept top a minimum, or overcome.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32   #19

Boat: A 42' to 49' Cat - Wreckless faith

Interesting thread as we prepare for the Salty Dawg Rally from Hampton VA to the BVI.
Pre-departure, we've already run into a major disappointment unique to the BVI: their ridiculous dog permitting requirements.

Beyond what is required for US, Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, DR, T&C, etc., etc. - BVI also requires something called a Titer test (just know it related to Rabbis, but way beyond the normal vet test). What makes it so egregious is both the time lapse required (4weeks on average) AND that your normal Vet can't execute it. It literally has to be executed by a single University in Kansas and orchestrated (administrated) by the USDA!

I realize that if you research and know this information, with enough prep- time and another $150 to invest in your healthy dog, this can be managed... But it sure seems like an effort to keep pets out.

Our Border Collie won't be joining us for this leg of the voyage

Nick
s/v Wreckless Faith

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2016, 13:18   #20

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Nick.

Sea going border collie, outstanding.

I had a border collie thru grade school, high school , and part of college,,,,,,,great dog, smart and wonderful part of the family.

But many places have strong restrictions on bringing in dogs. Until recently we lived on kauai island for 9 years, and to bring in a dog, the animal had to go thru a month quarantine , shots, and all that.

That may have changed a little, but the people moving over just had to ride the wave. They loved their pups and bit the bullet.

Border collies are extremely smart and adaptable, as you well know, your best friend will be just fine, Lots of smiles and tale wagging, barking welcomes, and running in circles when you return.

Have a great sailing adventure.
Old 12-10-2016, 13:37   #21

I live on Tortola and the attitude is definitely one of the major downfalls for anyone trying to enjoy an upbeat vacation. The belongers are very entitled on the island for no reason at all. They don't care to make money, they don't care to work extra hard, and they don't want to be known as a tourist destination. When they make their money where would they spend it? Why should they try harder? They will never see the visitors again and unfortunately they could have such a positive impact on the area if they would change their attitude. Strangely, Tortola is the only island that has that attitude. Everywhere around usually seems pretty positive and upbeat while the locals enjoy sharing paradise with visitors. I hope you come back and have a more positive experience!
Old 12-10-2016, 14:05   #22

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

Pets in the BVI's are a problem, as you found out.

But further down island you will run into major problems as well. Some islands do not allow pets at all and other islands have poison set out that affects (read kills) pets that go ashore.

It is best to either leave your pet behind when you sail with the Salty Dog Rally or at least research what the requirements are for each island regarding pets.

Good luck with your voyage!

[QUOTE=Nick & LA;2233452]Interesting thread as we prepare for the Salty Dawg Rally from Hampton VA to the BVI.
Pre-departure, we've already run into a major disappointment unique to the BVI: their ridiculous dog permitting requirements.

Beyond what is required for US, Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, DR, T&C, etc., etc. - BVI also requires something called a Titer test (just know it related to Rabbis, but way beyond the normal vet test). What makes it so egregious is both the time lapse required (4weeks on average) AND that your normal Vet can't execute it. It literally has to be executed by a single University in Kansas and orchestrated (administrated) by the USDA!

I realize that if you research and know this information, with enough prep- time and another $150 to invest in your healthy dog, this can be managed... But it sure seems like an effort to keep pets out.

Our Border Collie won't be joining us for this leg of the voyage

Nick
s/v Wreckless Faith

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: