Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 19:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
BVI to St Maarten in June

Has any one sailed BVI to St. Maarten in June/July? Can you tell me what I can expect for wind/weather conditions?

Thanks!
Old 13-01-2014, 20:15   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: BVI to St Maarten in June

Yes and it's really easy most of the time. You are in hurricane season so have your hidey holes arranged. From St. Maarten to BVI's we went through the narrow cut on the south side of Virgin Gorda. The rocks were easily visible and saved us about 1 hour sailing around fallen Je. On the way back we left from the north of VG, right past the Bitter End and tried to make some north easting but it was rough going. We had to motor for about 4 hours to insure we arrived early in the day.

It was quite squally and rainy during that period. Not bad but not like February and March.
Old 14-01-2014, 05:06   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

In June and July, you'll have the odd tropical wave coming through, with squally unsettled weather, but you can track them and pick your weather window.

We would always clear out in Spanishtown and go up to North Sound. It's best to leave in the afternoon and make the passage at night so you arrive in Marigot in the morning. It's always against the wind, waves and current, so the only variable is how strong is the wind and how high are the waves.
Old 14-01-2014, 05:16   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

agree with Hud -- we cleared out of spanishtown and then did a stop at the baths to snorkle and look around - have lunch relax and then leave for a night sail across to the dutch side and catch the morning opening - we also then went across the bay and anchored on the french side and checked in on the french side

but beware to take chains and chain up everything - they will steal your fuel tank from the dock and anything else not chained up - only place in the carib we hauled the dink at night -- when we were there they were stealing almost 1 dink a night -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 05:32   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

You can also clear out in Gun Creek in Gorda Sound which is very convenient. We did this passage in late Dec and it wasn't very comfortable, though in June and July the trades will be a bit weaker for you.

The anchorage in Marigot Bay isn't bad and has a smaller theft problem than the lagoon.
Old 14-01-2014, 05:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BVI to St Maarten in June

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You can also clear out in Gun Creek in Gorda Sound which is very convenient. We did this passage in late Dec and it wasn't very comfortable, though in June and July the trades will be a bit weaker for you.

The anchorage in Marigot Bay isn't bad and has a smaller theft problem than the lagoon.
And after you clear in.. move round to Grand Case..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 21:24   #7

Great info all! Thanks so much! I have purchased a boat in Tortola and looking to sail south for awhile before I put it into charter. I have sailed the BVI's the last 5 years and looking forward to expiring other ports. Any favorites in St. Maarten?
Old 15-01-2014, 06:49   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 57

St. Martin doesn't have the varied types of anchorages that the BVI do. Your ports are rather limited, plus you have 2 countries to deal with so you need to choose which side - the Dutch or the French - you wish to be on. My personal preference is for the French side and my favorite anchorage is Grand Case. It has good holding, and the selection of good restaurants ashore is nonpareil.
Old 15-01-2014, 07:05   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we perfer inside with the understanding that the dink and things in it get locked up - we go through the dutch side and anchor on the french side - that way we can dink to either side and have enjoyed both as they are very different

and check in on the french side - easier and cheaper

also think a bit better all around protection in side
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:17   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BVI to St Maarten in June

Prefer Marigot Bay to the inside.. easy enough to dink from under the FS bridge to Dutch side.. and right up to the market on the French side.. also nice to come on deck in the am for a quick wake up swim while the coffees brewing... can't/won't do that in the lagoon.. anyway.. Grand Case to the Bay is only a 3hr sail/motor so no biggie.. if I fancy a change for a couple of days..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 10:51   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Leave from NS VG even in Necker Sound anchor between Prickly Pear and Eustatia Island to save an hour. Grit your teeth take your best sea sick remedy and make sure you have a great weather window. Even then when you come onto the banks as you come back onto soundings from 6000 feet deep expect horrible square waves that don't match the swell. The last two hours are typically not fun. IF it gets too much on the nose bear away for Simpson Bay rather than keep plodding towards Marigot Bay . Yellow Flag Simpson Bay and motor round to Marigot the next day.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 11:29   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
Leave from NS VG even in Necker Sound anchor between Prickly Pear and Eustatia Island to save an hour. Grit your teeth take your best sea sick remedy and make sure you have a great weather window. Even then when you come onto the banks as you come back onto soundings from 6000 feet deep expect horrible square waves that don't match the swell. The last two hours are typically not fun. IF it gets too much on the nose bear away for Simpson Bay rather than keep plodding towards Marigot Bay . Yellow Flag Simpson Bay and motor round to Marigot the next day.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCoQ8gEwAA
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 16:26   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I just arrived in Grand Case from the BVI. I waited for a weather window of only 10-12 knots winds, 1.5meter swell at 12 seconds but the wind was from the ESE, so for the first time I was straight against the wind and didn't even bother putting up the sails. The passage is never fun, this time it was my quickest trip at 13 hours but I'm happy to be here. Tomorrow morning it's a bus and clearing in at Marigot! I left the North Sound at 1am and went between Prickly Pear and Neckar - a long slog but once you are in St. Martin sailing down-island, apart from Antigua, is a piece of cake!
Old 13-05-2014, 21:50   #14

Following up on this earlier post, can anyone recommend a cruising guide for St. Maarten, charts, etc.

Thanks!
Old 14-05-2014, 13:16   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Chris Doyle's guide for the Leeward Islands is a good one. Between the sketch charts in the guide and our C-MAP NT digital charts, we didn't see the need to purchase a paper chart for the island.