Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 06:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
BVI - Savannah Bay

So far I've either been alone on the boat or in winter weather and thus have never tried entering and anchoring in Savannah Bay. But I leave for the islands tomorrow and will most likely have guests aboard who could be used as lookouts.

I draw around 6 1/2 feet and was hoping that someone here might have experience in entering the bay in a keelboat and might be willing to share their knowledge. Thanks in advance!
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 07:10   #2
Eternal Member

Zanshin,

I also draw 6.5 feet. Haven't been in there in some years, but I don't think you'd have a problem.

You enter from the southern side of the Bay, then head north not far from the shore, inside the reef which extends down from the north to cover about 1/2 the opening to the Bay.

Fairly easy navigation; eyeball, really.

Have fun!

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 07:20   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Bill - thanks for the post! I remember from swimming that there are two reefs running roughly parallel to the beach, so you mean running between these two, is that correct? I just called up Google Earth but the resolution is just a bit too low and a cumulus cloud covers the important bit (hmm, kinda like those artistic nudes in the museums).
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 07:22   #4
Eternal Member

Yes, that's right. The outer reef is very large and provides good protection.

Pick your way in carefully, and have a ball :-)

Bill
Old 24-08-2008, 08:35   #5

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Bill - thanks for the post! I remember from swimming that there are two reefs running roughly parallel to the beach, so you mean running between these two, is that correct? I just called up Google Earth but the resolution is just a bit too low and a cumulus cloud covers the important bit (hmm, kinda like those artistic nudes in the museums).
Check out the sat pic on active captain
They have a perfect, cloud free, view.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 10:52   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Zan,

Savannah Bay is nice. I've been in there just they way Bill described. There's plenty of water and room to anchor.

Also consider visiting Oil Nut Bay, right at the very NE tip of Virgin Gorda. You can get there by way of Eustatia Sound. Very beautiful, peaceful and secluded. Protected by a reef from the Atlantic.

Here's a photo I took when we were there in 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OilNutBay 1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	4807  
Old 24-08-2008, 10:59   #7
Eternal Member

Beautiful, Hud.

And, you're in my territory...one of my favorite places in the BVI!

Many times I've lain at anchor for days or a week in the lee of Saba Rock, North Sound, where the wind blows strong (no mosquitoes), the current runs strong, the scenery is unsurpassed, and there's plenty to do within easy dingy-ing distance.

Sadly, Bert Jabin's place is long-gone now, but the new place isn't bad at all. Quality construction (in the BVI????), nice folks, decent food, and still a nice short dingy ride from the anchorage.

And, of course, there's the Bitter End for Sunday Brunch, for lolligagging by the pool, watersports, etc., etc.

Love coming in thru the north entrance with a breeze of wind, hitting that smooth protected water, and tacking up to an anchorage at 8 knots +.

Can't have that kind of fun in the city!

Bill
Old 25-08-2008, 05:42   #8

Developers have made a mess shore side at Oilnut. Filled in the pond and ripped out a lot of vegitation. They pulled out earlier this year leaving it trashed.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 07:53   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Damn, that's a shame! I saw what looked like a bit of road being carved into the hillside approaching Oil Nut when we were there in '05, and worried that it might be the prelude to something like that. It was a pretty beach with lots of Mahoe trees when we saw it.

Tags
British Virgin Islands