Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 12:22   #1

BVI open or closed in OCT?!

On a whim, decided to book 10 days in bvi on a lil 32'mono from sunsail OCT 10-20. Anyone else going these days?

I've never used them, but they gave me 20% off for a military discount when i called, and so had the best price by far.

I declined any provisioning options as in the past i usually just get up early before the 11-noon chart briefing and walk to the stores/bakeries/liquor store across from the moorings (sorta) and get my own provisions started, and then pick up what i need later from other island stores.

Ooops.... just realized this booking is still in 'hazard' time frame for hurricanes, and its a good couple of weeks before high season.... so i'll be opting for trip insurance and here's the (longwinded) question.

will stores/marinas/bars all be open this time of year? I know sailing st vincent and grenadines and bvi and such in August to expect most places to be either closed or limited hours.... what about OCT 10-20? Will everyplace be open by then since it's just prior to the start of high season?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
danedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 03:48   #2

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: BVI open or closed in OCT?!

Normally everything is open in Oct. They close for the month of Sept in the BVI. Used to have a boat in Moorings charter fleet and Sept was my preferred time to go so could avoid all the charterers. By 1 Oct things open back up for normal business. Enjoy your trip.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 21:55   #3

Congratulations!! We went with Sunsail as well on our last 3 charters and they have given us top notch service! Their professionalism and caring was fantastic! We usually book through Candice at Latesail.com for the best price.

2 of our adventures in the BVI were in Oct, and had no problems with restaurants being open, except one time we chose to skip Anegada after a hurricane came through, and they were still recovering, and their restaurants may not have been open that year.

Enjoy your trip to "Paradise"
Old 02-09-2012, 18:04   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

You will find some of the more popular locations closed for portions or all of September and October. Many will have reduced hours, reduced staff. Some of the distributors I know are now off island due to this being the slow season when most of his clients are closed or have significantly reduced hours/ days.

You will typically be able to find some place in the major areas to eat but your selection of places will be reduced and even menu items will often be cut back.

Should not be a problem... you can always cook something up on the boat!

Keep an eye on the weather and know where your next safe place is located.