Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 18:15   #1

Boat: Silverton 37
BVI Motor Cat Yacht Charter

We are a group of 3 couples. Each of us are boat owners-37ft to 42 ft Sport Fishers. We are planning a vacation in the BVI and want to do a barebones Motor Cat Yacht Charter. Any input on the best yacht charter co., the best time of year to go, things we have to see and do ect. Looking forward to any input.
MRC1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:29   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: BVI Motor Cat Yacht Charter

Best bet is to head on over to Traveltalkonline - there's a BVI section and that's all that's discussed - you can also get some deals in a few places by registering there.

Only charter company we have used is Moorings. Twice and then we bought a boat in their program. So we continue to use Moorings as well as Sunsail now as they are owned by the same company. Both prior to owning and since, we've always been treated the same and have always had good experiences. Boats they have are no more than 5 years old, so they are typically in good condition with little to no problems. Not to say there can't be problems though, as they are boats and stuff happens, but they do address them quickly.

Depending on how much you want to spend, they have both a 39', 46' (I think they still have some) and 51' Cat. They'd all fit your group - 39 could be 3 cabin owners version I think or 4 cabin. 46 and 51 I believe are all 4 cabins. 51 is the newest and pretty sweet - we've been on their 48' version sail cat which is pretty much the same.

Only other company I've seen with power cats are MarineMax - another top tier company with newer boats. I know there are also a few others as well, just not sure of them off hand.

What to see really depends on what you enjoy. Seems drinking is very high on the list for many, which I personally don't get as I don't need to fly to another country just to drink, I'll just head to the local bar But, there are some great bars and that is always fun at the end of the day. Our main reason for going is the water activities - snorkeling and diving are excellent. We also enjoy exploring on land as there's lots to see and do there as well.

Things not to be missed... The Baths, Indians, Jost Van Dyke (bubbling pool if there's any kind of north swell), North Sound...etc. I could go on and on.. I'd highly recommend getting a cruising guide and reviewing it and figure out places you want to see. One thing we've been doing the past year or so now when visiting is spending two nights at Leverick Bay in the North sound and renting a car and driving to the baths and other sites on virgin gorda. It's a great break and fun time.

Hope this helps
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:28   #3

Boat: Sea Ray MY 42'
Re: BVI Motor Cat Yacht Charter

Very well said, I have had the same experience with his choices of charters. I recommend buying charts for your areas of port and motoring.
The other charter company I use is Virgin Traders on Tortola, check there web site for availability. Very good success with them..

Happy Motoring, Sailing & Many "Happy" Hours !

Captain Don
captain.donriggs@gmail.com
waternut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, motor, yacht