Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2013, 07:18   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: BVI Itinerary Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Soper's Hole, Trellis and The Bight on Norman are pretty sheltered as well but I've had some very rolly nights at Cooper even when there wasn't a significant swell.
Agree on those, although we always seem to get huge winds and rain when we overnight at Soper's. No waves, but you can be blown around a bit.

Cooper can definitely be hit or miss depending on the wind. We've had good nights and nights that weren't bad, but not quite as good. It can really be swirly there. Worst night we ever had was at Marina Cay where the swells we're not getting stopped by the reef. Also had a bad night at the moorings between Caneel Bay and Cruz Bay on St. John - some of it was swells and the rest ferry traffic.

Old 14-10-2013, 18:10   #17

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

Is this a race to get somewhere? If not, then slow the pace down and enjoy yourselves.

Old 15-10-2013, 13:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Is this a race to get somewhere? If not, then slow the pace down and enjoy yourselves.
No hurry we enjoy sailing, and usually are up early. We cover a lot of ground
Old 15-10-2013, 13:08   #19

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I hope not. Most charter companies prefer that you cover water or they keep your deposit. :-)
Old 15-10-2013, 13:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Really depends on what you like. Personally, we can sail in the summer at home, so sailing isn't our reason for going to the BVI. Enjoying everything that is there that is easily accessible by boat is and sailing is a bonus.

If sailing is really your goal, then by all means cover a lot of "ground". Otherwise, consider slowing it down and covering less ground and enjoying everything else that is there to be seen. After at least 10 trips, there's still plenty we have not seen. Usually try to see a few new things each trip.
Old 15-10-2013, 13:25   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

At $5,000 per week I'd be covering a lot of ground.

When I have friends on board it changes from my 'normal' cruising method and reverts to a Charter style time modulaized for the days my friends are here.. normally 7 to 10 days.

The BVIs are 'made' for a morning sail, lunch stop, afternoon sail, mooring pick-up and alcohol blind-out.

Take Jost Van Dyke for example.... sailing from say Sopers Hole to Jost Van Dyke's White Beach for lunch, snorkle and a few rums, then whip out into the channel for an hours sail then into Foxy's for a sundown belt.

Each day can be like that. Do the Rhone in the AM and then the caves followed by Willy T's that night.

Remember Sophers Hole to Foxy's is 4.8nms; JVD to Norman Island is only 10nms; Norman to the Baths only 12nms

Where is doing 12 miles per day taxing??

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 13:29   #22

Why waste ANY time clearing in & out of the USVI? Waste of time, IMHO. Stay in the BVIs.

You did ask...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 13:33   #23

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

That was my thought too- clearing in and out just for 1 night on St John would be too much effort for me. If you really want to hit USVI, maybe change to allow 2 nights there?
Old 15-10-2013, 14:15   #24

We are planning on spending 2 night in St John. I have heard that willie T's on Norman can get a little sketchy on Sunday night with locals. Has anyone had that experience?
Old 15-10-2013, 14:37   #25

Yes Willy T can get pretty crazy on a Sunday night. As suggested, since Pirates burned that may change but there's no way to make that prediction now. I've been to the Willy T on a few Sundays and not had any problems. On those nights I drink very little and keep a tight leash on those I'm responsible for. I live here and I know how to respectfully communicate with other local residents. I also know I'm in a foreign country with an hour long police response (or more) if things don't go well. One can sense as the average BAC goes up when it's time to dinghy away. I never recommend vacationers stop there on a Sunday night.
Old 15-10-2013, 14:39   #26

I wouldn't think the local crowds at the Willy T would change much as many that go there only go there. In fact, with no place else to go at the Bight, it may get busier.
Old 15-10-2013, 14:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Why waste ANY time clearing in & out of the USVI? Waste of time, IMHO. Stay in the BVIs. You did ask...
It really depends on what one is after. If it's isolated pristine beaches without onshore development then a couple of days sailing around St John makes sense. If one wants to bar hop and eat on shore, St John is the wrong destination.
Old 15-10-2013, 14:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I wouldn't think the local crowds at the Willy T would change much as many that go there only go there. In fact, with no place else to go at the Bight, it may get busier.
That's a valid point. I was thinking the other way around. Sort of dilution. If more charterers went in there it "might" alter the free for all vibe that can be disconcerting for the unprepared.
Old 20-10-2013, 19:51   #29

Boat: Lakeview Yachts, 1998, 70'
We just got back from 7 days in the BVI on a Sunsail 444 (Buckaroo). Great boat! Our entire crew was new, including me, to the BVI.

First, a lot of stuff in the BVI was closed, including Saba and BEYC, due to slow season. Leverick gave us 200 gallons of water with a ball and the bay was still and not rolly at all. They had a great happy hour and $7 pizzas. A favorite spot for our group. Tell Nick the Buckaroo gang said hi. It was his birthday on the day we came into Leverick.

There were plenty of balls at the baths and we spent a nice day there and then ran down wind to Trellis Bay to overnight. I can't imagine leaving my boat to taxi to a place my boat will go!!! Trellis was a little crowded, but you can dump your trash for free (look for the green slat fence), the beer is cheap, and a guy will come and sell you yummy breads and fresh ingredients for a salad (Aragorn).

Marina Cay was closed too, so our plans to get lunch there were shot.

We also went into Spanish Town and docked while we filled Scuba tanks. This was also a favorite since the shops were all open. Dock fee was $15/hr though. It was nice not having to dinghy the whole crew there and back though. Much shopping done there too.

Another favorite was Soggy Dollar Bar. Get your cat in close and drink pain killers and banana benders till dusk.

I noticed no Anegada... We didn't have time, but I would have chosen Anegada over the time/hassle of clearing in/out to visit St. John.

Rest of your itinerary looks perfect. I can't wait to go back. HAVE FUN!!!
Old 20-10-2013, 19:57   #30

Sounds like a fune trip. We'll be on a 444 in a few weeks. When do you go back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timscottyoung View Post
There were plenty of balls at the baths and we spent a nice day there and then ran down wind to Trellis Bay to overnight. I can't imagine leaving my boat to taxi to a place my boat will go!!!
I thought that as well our first couple of trips, but then you realize there is a lot you can see and do on land that you can't get to by boat. And while the bath's is one of those you can, if you are already on land with a car, why not make that a stop rather than deal with swimming in and having to get there early for a mooring ball (depending on when you go).

Then there's the Copper Mine, lots of restaurants and other places and Hog Heaven, which is a favorite of ours.

Try it when you go back, you'll see its a great break. Every crew we've had with us has thought this was a great highlight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: