Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2013, 02:22   #1

BVI Charter advice

Hi all,

Heading to the BVI for an 18 days charter with Sunsail. Actually using my own Jeanneau 409 I have with them under the ownership program, will be interesting as its been in service 2 x years now...

One question. Sunsail recommend prepaid fuel for 195 as they say there are no refueling facilities in Wickhams Cay. I find this very hard to believe... Largest port on Tortola and no refueling?

What exactly is the situation in Wickham Cay? I can't see me using that much fuel with the good sailing conditions in the BVI. Will i have issues refueling before taking the boat back?

Never been there, so don't know the place, but don't want to get fleeced!

Any advice much appreciated.

Options409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 02:58   #2

Boat: CSY 44
Re: BVI Charter advice

There is fuel available at Fort Burt in Road Harbor, Nanny Cay, or Marina Cay. Don't know the cost though. Others but further away are Leverick Bay and Cane Garden bay.

RHoodJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 03:59   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Fuel is expensive in the BVI and the prices are all relatively similar. The easiest fueling I've found is at Leverick Bay, while Nanny Cay has a good fuel dock as well. Soper's Hole is #3 on my list as all of them do a lot of business and will not have stale fuel.
-Zanshin (SV Zanshin)
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 06:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Options409.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 10:22   #5

Fuel price is pretty much the same everywhere in the BVI. The fuel dock at the Moorings/Sunsail/Footloose marina is as good as any. However, you are very unlikely to use the full tankage in 18 days and Sunsail will be the winner. Why not ask them to give you a full tank and then you just refill it at the end of charter?
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 10:51   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

You go right past what is often the cheapest place in Road Harbour, the Delta fuel dock at Baughers Bay. Look for the Delta sign off to starboard a couple of hundred yards before you get to Wickhams Cay. It's where the Peter Island Ferry comes in.
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 10:58   #7

Boat: Seaward 22

Unless you plan on motoring a lot, I don't know how you would go through that much fuel. We used less than 10 gallons in a week.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 13:59   #8

Thanks all for the advice.

I agree, i won't use 195 worth of fuel, so i don't want to prepay. I did it in Thailand and used 70 worth of juice, so SS pocketed 100 for nothing.

Regardless of whether you pre-pay or not, the tank should be full at the start of the charter. Then you just fill it up at the end. It's a pure money making scheme for SS based on 1 week charters as they will always pocket some extra cash when the boat is returned with plenty of fuel.

I have opted not to prepay for this trip, but SS say on the charter contract that there is no where in Road Harbour to refill, which I call BS on...

Just wanted to hear other views as I haven't been there, but it sounds like i have made the right choice.

Thanks again.

Options409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: