Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 08:55   #1

BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

off for our first BVI charter in Dec.

Will be provisioning using riteway.

If/ when we run out and need to re stock where is the best place to go thats easy to access

thanks
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 17:22   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Not sure which is best but these three are easy. Trellis Bay, Beef island Tortola
Sopers Hole/West End Tortola
Leverick in North Sound Virgin Gorda.

There are stores at Nanny Cay marina and Spanish Town marina. You need a transient slip to use those easily.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 04:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Murphy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 09:12   #4

Thanks for info ... I looked at the new scrub island marina but its $100 per night !!
Old 29-09-2012, 09:55   #5
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Spent 2.5 months in the BVI last winter. Where are you picking up your charter and do you have an itinerary yet? We found Trellis Bay to be very limited for provisions and pricey although you can pick up organic produce in season at the art gallery there. Leverick Bay marina has a great little grocery store and the prices were reasonable. There is a small mooring field there if you get there early enough. We anchored at the edge of the channel closer to Saba Rock (they also have a mooring field). Saba Rock does not have provisions unless you count killer Sundowners. Don't even bother going over to the Bitter End Yacht Club unless you want to pay $10+ for an "artisan" loaf of bread.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 11:38   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

It's easy to pick up whatever you need anywhere along the way. Just get all the major stuff.

Soper's hole, Trellis Bay, Scurb Island and Leverick are all places you can get stuff along the way.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 11:41   #7

Hi - thanks for update,

we are sailing out of Hodges creek - never been to BVI's before and have 2 young boys, youngest is 2 yrs .. although they both are used to sailing in uk in solent , we are not sure what to expect here ...

was thinking that a marina stop off may be good idea to stock up after a few days of beaches... eldest will need to spend his pocket money by then !

no idea for itinary read loas of books and none the wiser !!!!- any idea would be most welcome especially day 1 anchaorage (all say go to willieT so there must a good alternative!)

cheers,
Old 29-09-2012, 11:56   #8

What books have you read?

This is what I'd suggest: Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands: Nancy & Simon Scott,Ashley Scott,Affinity Design,Ann Sabo: 9780944428917: Amazon.com: Books

You don't need a solid itinerary, but I've always found it helps to have some sort of plan. Usually we are able to stick to it, but depending on weather..etc you can always make changes. It also helps you plan on where and when you'll stop for added provisions.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Most of the unsatisfied BVI charters arrived with a solid itinerary and didn't deviate from it - that just causes stress and loss of "Island Time".

Back when Sunsail was still at Hodge's Creek there was a good grocery store underneath Calamaya in the Hotel, but I seem to recall that it was closed. Thus my recommendation follows those above - do your "big" shopping in Road Town at Riteway (I'm sure you charter company will arrange cheaper transportation than just getting a cab out front) and then re-provision on the way.

Trellis is expensive for food, Soper's Hole has a great selection and the dinghy dock is only 40 feet or so from the front door (but it might make sense to put on long pants and even a sweater or jacket in there - it is so cold that the employees wear ski jackets!). There is a store at Leverick Bay in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda, a well-stocked store at the VGYH at Spanish town (both places have mooring balls or anchorages within dinghy distance).
The Bitter End has limited selection and hotel prices, and Anegada is pretty far away and thus the prices reflect this.
On Jost there are two or three smaller grocery stores and a bakery close to the main dock.
Old 08-10-2012, 19:07   #10

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Don't forget Cane Garden Bay, there's a good Bobby's market there.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:02   #11
TEE

The best market to provision in "hands down" is at Sopher's hole. Easy in, easy out. That is the Harbour Market. They do not price gouge, and their produce is about as fresh as anybodys. Also, they have a good selection. Bread baked fresh daily, and custom subs available.

I do not recommend Bobby's market at Nanny Cay. Limited selection. A lot of stuff was close to out of date when I was in their, and their produce selection was not good.

Bobby's big market downtown is okay, but nothing to write home about.

If you need something in route over in Virgin Gorda, anchor in Spanish Town harbor, dingy in, and get it at bucks which is at the marina and has a decent selection of stuff, more or less, sometimes. Easy in, easy out.

Trellis bay is okay for cokes, water, very basic stuff, not for provisioning in any serious fashion.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:27   #12

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41

Forget about trying to follow an itinerary and let the wind and your desires direct you. All the Virgins are day sails so no worries and believe it or not the Virgins are civilized so there is food and provisions everywhere. Provision for a couple of days and dinghy ashore to re-provision the Ms and kids will thank you. Chillax and enjoy!
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Most of the unsatisfied BVI charters arrived with a solid itinerary and didn't deviate from it - that just causes stress and loss of "Island Time".
I've put one together for most trips and pretty much followed it - especially our first few. I think you just need to be ready to abandon it and not be overly aggressive in the area you try to cover in putting it together.

The benefit I found to having it is that it gave us a guideline to follow and help us see everything we wanted to. I also always try to leave some extra time towards the end to just add whatever we want.
Old 29-10-2012, 08:50   #14

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix

I've put one together for most trips and pretty much followed it - especially our first few. I think you just need to be ready to abandon it and not be overly aggressive in the area you try to cover in putting it together.

The benefit I found to having it is that it gave us a guideline to follow and help us see everything we wanted to. I also always try to leave some extra time towards the end to just add whatever we want.
One place I haven't seen mentioned is the east end of Tortola, where there is good size supermarket with prices significantly below those at most marina-associated stores. Another store there offers many household and kitchen items, also at reasonable prices for the BVI. There are moorings for rent and a good dinghy dock, too.
Walby113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:42   #15

You can pre-order from Bobby's and have it delivered. I would expect that Riteway does the same, I have not used them.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, provisioning