Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 07:29   #16
Registered User
 
Zanshin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 57
Posts: 1,621
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I've put one together for most trips and pretty much followed it - especially our first few...
I agree that a rough itinerary is important, but problems and stress occur when people try to adhere to their plans... just as with battle plans, no charter itinerary has survived contact with the Islons...

I've seen charter boats on fixed itineraries leave the North Sound on Virgin Gorda for Cane Garden bay with north swell breaking water in the channel and I know that they are going to be seasick aboard if they take a mooring in CGB; on days like that one needs to change plans and stay in waters more condusive to vacationing.
__________________

__________________
-Zanshin (SV Zanshin)
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:40   #17
TEE
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I agree that a rough itinerary is important, but problems and stress occur when people try to adhere to their plans... just as with battle plans, no charter itinerary has survived contact with the Islons...

I've seen charter boats on fixed itineraries leave the North Sound on Virgin Gorda for Cane Garden bay with north swell breaking water in the channel and I know that they are going to be seasick aboard if they take a mooring in CGB; on days like that one needs to change plans and stay in waters more condusive to vacationing.
NEVER, EVER, AND I MEAN NEVER GO INTO CANE GARDEN IF THERE IS A NORTHERLY SWELL. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID. ASK ANYBODY AT THE CHARTER BASE OR ANY CRUISER IF YOU DOUBT ME. DISREGARDING MY INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE INVITING DOOM.
__________________

__________________
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:53   #18
Registered User
 
Rubikoop's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Thomas USVI
Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE

NEVER, EVER, AND I MEAN NEVER GO INTO CANE GARDEN IF THERE IS A NORTHERLY SWELL. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID. ASK ANYBODY AT THE CHARTER BASE OR ANY CRUISER IF YOU DOUBT ME. DISREGARDING MY INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE INVITING DOOM.
That seems overly dramatic. Perhaps some of us like to watch the surfers ride a wave past our mooring ball while we are having morning coffee.
__________________
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:03   #19
TEE
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
That seems overly dramatic. Perhaps some of us like to watch the surfers ride a wave past our mooring ball while we are having morning coffee.
I apologize. I didn't know some people liked taking a knock down while hanging on a mooring ball.
__________________
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:08   #20
Registered User
 
Rubikoop's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Thomas USVI
Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE

I apologize. I didn't know some people liked taking a knock down while hanging on a mooring ball.
It's a great eye opener!!! A nice shot of adrenaline to start the day. You do know I'm messing with you, hopefully.
__________________
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:29   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: somewhere in Mexico
Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Posts: 203
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walby113 View Post
One place I haven't seen mentioned is the east end of Tortola, where there is good size supermarket with prices significantly below those at most marina-associated stores. Another store there offers many household and kitchen items, also at reasonable prices for the BVI. There are moorings for rent and a good dinghy dock, too.
Where is this supermarket? I think I've seen it before, but don't recall where.
__________________
John
s/v Nakamal
azsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 17:02   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hampton Va/Caribbean
Boat: Morgan 416
Posts: 124
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

There is a newer grocery just a mile or so east of Hodges Creek. It's next door to ProValor Charters. Can't remember the name but google Provalor charters and their site will mention it. We've provisioned there a couple times for a good (it's all relative) price! Otherwise we have used Riteway in Road Town. Enjoy the time of your life!
__________________
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 19:31   #23
TEE
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139
Re: BVI - Best marina/ anchorage for re provisioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
It's a great eye opener!!! A nice shot of adrenaline to start the day. You do know I'm messing with you, hopefully.
Yeah, I knew. Thought I would mess too. All in fun. Truth is any major Northerly swell in the BVI is going to make any of the north facing anchorages pretty uncomfortable. I was at Manchaneel Bay once when I thought the boat was protected from the North, but the swell actually wrapped around the corner, with the wind putting the boat abeam to the swell all night. Could have done my laundry if I had just put some clothes in the sink and could have figured out a way to keep the water in it.

On a north swell, best anchorages are Sopher's Hole, the Bight at Norman Island, behind the reef at Marina Cay, Little Harbor JVD if you tuck over in the far corner, Diamond Cay, and Great Harbor JVD, if you tuck into the lee of the North side. Then of course, North Sound over by Saba rock, or behind Prickley. Also, if you know how to stern too, Little Harbor at Peter Island is okay.

I once saw boats in Cane Garden trapped behind breakers coming over the reef on a strong swell. I give it a five star most misearable rating in those conditions.
__________________

__________________
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, provisioning

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.