Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 13:47   #1

Boat: PaceShip PY26
BVI 7 day itinerary that includes Anegada?

Doing our first BVI charter on a moorings 4000 first week of November. Done a lot of reading and most recommend skipping Anegada if you've only got 7 Days.

But a few of us really want to include Anegada for an overnight so looking for some advise on options. Maybe skipping the standard recommended steps of norman, peter and maybe cooper islands and heading more northeast to start but what stopovers are achievable without sailing too many hours a day and not being able to enjoy the beaches and snorkling?

Maybe skip the north shore and JVD and if time remaining head back to Norman, Peter islands area for the last day and have a relaxed short sail to return the boat?

Am i going to be missing the 'best of the BVI's' by skipping something?

We'd like to spend as much day time hours moored as we do sailing, if not more. We did a St. Lucia to Tobago cays 7 day trip a few years ago that was way to much time on the boat and not enough time enjoying land so some of the crew wants to avoid that.

It sounds like i am going to have East/SouthEast winds ? is that true for beginning of November and am i setting myself up for a hard time trying to get to anegada as quick as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advise provided.
MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:05   #2

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Re: BVI 7 day itinerary that includes Anegada?

Dang if that is the new Moorings 4000 you're going to be on I'm envious! I really kinda want one of those.
It's a short sail to Anagada if you have wind, and a short sail back... not a whole lot there was my take on it, but the sail was so good it was too bad it was so close.
Everyone has their own preferences but mine would be snorkel the Indians and the bay around the corner to the east of where the Willie T is, can't remember the name..there were a few maybe 4 mooring balls there that Pirates bar collected fees for.
I'd anchor up and snorkel and visit the bar/restaurant at Marina cay. And for sure take in a painkiller and maybe the tarpon feeding at Saba rock.. anchor in the breeze off prickly pear, I think that was the name of the island off to the port side of Saba.
And White Bay at Jost is good.. and Cane Garden Bay if the swell doesn't beat up you dinghy at the dock.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 15:46   #3

Boat: Shopping

We sailed from North Sound to Anegada in the morning. Spent a relaxing afternoon on the beach and snorkeling at Loblolly. Saw the flamingos on the salt ponds (take binoculars). Had the obligatory lobster dinner back at the anchorage and sailed out the next morning. Really enjoyed it and will do it again if we go back.

Make sure your charter company allows Anegada.

JVD has the Soggy Dollar and Foxy's.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 17:16   #4

Sailed to Anegada last October.....i would do it again. Rented a moped for $15, explored etc and topped it off with a lobster dinner at the Anegada Reef Hotel. Really enjoyed it.
Old 27-07-2015, 17:32   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 310

Last trip we did was 7 nights/8 days.

Chartered out of Horizon in Nanny Cay.

O/N = Overnight.

Day 1: Nanny Cay - Norman (scuba dive) O/N
Day 2: Norman - Cooper (scuba dive) - O/N
Day 3: Cooper - North Sound;Virgin Gorda (No diving ;-( ) O/N
Day 4: VG - Anegada (rent a car, go play at Cow Wreck, obligatory Lobster dinner at the An Reef Hotel ashore) O/N
Day 5: Anegada - The Baths (lunch stop/explore) - Marina Cay O/N
Day 6: Marina Cay - Sandy Spit (off JVD) - lunch stop, explore, snorkel) - Little Harbor JVD - dinner at Sydney's O/N
Day 7: JVD - Norman O/N
Day 8: Norman - Nanny Cay

Heading back in Oct for a 10 day trip - Can't wait. Will use the extra days to stay in one place more than one O/N. Anegada for sure and will probably dive there.
Have Fun.
Old 27-07-2015, 17:45   #6

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

I'd do:
Cooper
Saba Rock
Anegada
JvD
another harbor on JVD
Norman
Peter
Old 28-07-2015, 07:49   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393

We chartered with Sunsail in BVI in June and went to Anagada for 2 night. If I was going for 1 night.

Day 1: Norman Island - snorkel the caves - Willy-T if you want to party Pirate Cove for dinner if you don't
Day 2: Up early, snorkel Indians and head to Foxy's on JVD
Day 3: Marina Cay - stop at Monkey Point to snorkel on the way through. Coconut Mahi Mahi is great. Snorkel the reef around Marina Cay
Day 4: Leverick Bay Friday night BBQ, beach party and Moko Jumbies - we always adjust our schedule for Friday night at Leverick Bay
Day 5: Anagada
Day 6: Saba Rock/Bitter End Yacht Club
Day 7: Marina Cay
Day 8: return to Sunsail by 11:00

If I have one too many days, go from Anagada to Marina Cay

Pack light (no check bag), provision online, #2 Pain Killers and have fun!
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:03   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393

Pack light - no check bag...We flew into St. Thomas, explored the island for several days then caught fast ferry to BVI. Suzanne and I each had a small back pack and small carry on roller bag for our 14 day adventure. At Sunsail base, we talked to several on 7 day charters who had massive checked bags. We asked if they were diving, but no, just brought lots of clothes. They didn't know how we could survive with two small bags.

Pack light - for 14 days we each took 3 shorts, 2 swimsuits (Suzanne brings 2 bikini for boat, 2 more modest for beach and snorkeling) 5 undies, 5 t-shirt, 3 polo, light windbreaker/rain coat, sailing gloves and hat, prescriptions mask and snorkel and Kindle.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVatcher View Post
Doing our first BVI charter on a moorings 4000 first week of November. Done a lot of reading and most recommend skipping Anegada if you've only got 7 Days.

But a few of us really want to include Anegada for an overnight so looking for some advise on options. Maybe skipping the standard recommended steps of norman, peter and maybe cooper islands and heading more northeast to start but what stopovers are achievable without sailing too many hours a day and not being able to enjoy the beaches and snorkling?

Maybe skip the north shore and JVD and if time remaining head back to Norman, Peter islands area for the last day and have a relaxed short sail to return the boat?

Am i going to be missing the 'best of the BVI's' by skipping something?

We'd like to spend as much day time hours moored as we do sailing, if not more. We did a St. Lucia to Tobago cays 7 day trip a few years ago that was way to much time on the boat and not enough time enjoying land so some of the crew wants to avoid that.

It sounds like i am going to have East/SouthEast winds ? is that true for beginning of November and am i setting myself up for a hard time trying to get to anegada as quick as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advise provided.
The decision really depends on what it is you want from your cruise. If you want to experience these islands and enjoy some of the many available activities in your seven days skip Anegada for now and do it on your next trip. However, if you want to sail ALOT and checking out the various port activities you can certainly squeezer in Anegada.
One option is to check weather conditions and crew expectations and desires and play it by ear. You most likely will be heading out of Road Town and going east up the channel. You'll have a day or two to see how it goes and take it from there.
Down in the islands we like to take it easy and enjoy the scenery...stop and smell the roses, so to speak.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:33   #10

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

We did North South/Leverick the first two nights, sail to Anegada the next morning, 3rd night Anegada, 4th night Trellis for full moon party, 5th night JVD, 6th night JVD or Cane Garden Bay, 7th night Cane Garden Bay or Norman, then early start to have boat back by noon. Lots to do in North Sound by dinghy as well as Jost Van Dyke. The next four trips, we took 14 days, much nicer.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:42   #11

Boat: Moody, 44c, 44ft

Anegada is a must. It is not a long sail.

JVD - Foxy's and Soggy Dollar bar are great
Cassonthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:01   #12

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

We skipped Anegada since it seemed like too much trouble for the time we had. As I remember, the charter company provided a guided boat tour from Virgin Gorda to the island. I guess they didn't want any mishaps with their boats.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:36   #13

Boat: Sabre 402 (but also love multi hulls)

Relax & enjoy your week. We've done the BVIs 6 times, 3 with Anegada and 3 without. (good bonefishing there)If the wind is light your sail to A will be like sitting on the beach and 'Cow Wreck Beach' is a memorable spot. If the sea is uncomfortable for your crew keep orbiting Tortola. The trick if you only have a week is to make sure you stay one place for 2 nights just to force the relaxation. I like anchoring either tucked in off Long Point on Virgin Gorda or behind Monkey Point Guana Island for those two nights. The snorkeling is great both places. Don't plan too much, roll with the weather & mood.
Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:54   #14

Anegada isn't going to make or break your vacation. Play it by ear, and if the weather is good go for it. If it isn't or if it isn't fitting in your schedule, skip it.

The BVI's are more of a "take it as it comes" kind of place than a "rigid set in stone schedule/check the box" kind of place. If you're stressing to get somewhere, you're missing the point of the place.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:14   #15

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
We chartered with Sunsail in BVI in June and went to Anagada for 2 night. If I was going for 1 night.

Day 1: Norman Island - snorkel the caves - Willy-T if you want to party Pirate Cove for dinner if you don't
Day 2: Up early, snorkel Indians and head to Foxy's on JVD
Day 3: Marina Cay - stop at Monkey Point to snorkel on the way through. Coconut Mahi Mahi is great. Snorkel the reef around Marina Cay
Day 4: Leverick Bay Friday night BBQ, beach party and Moko Jumbies - we always adjust our schedule for Friday night at Leverick Bay
Day 5: Anagada
Day 6: Saba Rock/Bitter End Yacht Club
Day 7: Marina Cay
Day 8: return to Sunsail by 11:00

If I have one too many days, go from Anagada to Marina Cay

Pack light (no check bag), provision online, #2 Pain Killers and have fun!
This is the second post that mentioned painkillers. What are #2 painkillers. does it mean prescription painkillers or am I missing something? Why do you need them? Body ache, headache??

Tags
anegada