Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 13:02   #16

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT
Re: BVI 7 day itinerary that includes Anegada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
This is the second post that mentioned painkillers. What are #2 painkillers. does it mean prescription painkillers or am I missing something? Why do you need them? Body ache, headache??
No, not "prescription painkillers", per se, but a prescription BVI BEVERAGE for a good time. The famous Painkiller is a BVI favourite cocktail beverage served by all the BVI beach bars and consumed shamelessly in copious quantities by sailors in those waters. The drink was created by the original owner of the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost van Dyke island and later modified (and I think perfected) by the owner of the Pussers establishments, Charles Tobias. His concoction utilizes Pussers Rum. The basic drink is mixed with: 2 oz Pussers rum; 4 oz. Pineapple juice; 1 oz. Orange juice and 1 oz. cream of coconut. It is very smooth and, of course, delicious. Anyone who has inbibed in this tasty tropical drink will confirm that they can sneak up on you 😄 And that might lead to the need for a traditional painkiller to deal with the next morning's tropical hangover. Oh yeah, the Painkiller #2 refereences the amount of rum. The higher the number - the more rum per drink! #2 is a good starting point 😎
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 13:27   #17

Boat: PaceShip PY26

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to summarize the hotspots and plan my itinerary accordingly. Sounds like Anegada is not that far out of the way as long as you have good winds and good starting point. I think we'll make plans for it as well as many painkillers

And Yes Privleoplag, it's the new Moorings 4000, we actually moved our dates up a few days so we could have one. we are looking forward to it.

We are not really interested on land based activities/tourist attractions, there's a couple of exercise nuts who want to be able to maybe do a run or long walk and we kind of like the more remote/natural locations as long as there is a decent restaurant and bottle(s) of wine to be had.

No one really commented on winds, most "i would do"'s seem to be counter clockwise and include JVD. Being early November i am a little concerned of unstable winds anyone care to comment on their November winds experience.

If winds are southeast and i try to jump to cooper island on day 1 will i be beating it all the way there and should maybe try to reach up to VG on day 1. or maybe it's just 'go with the wind that you have' that day but i'm hoping it's a little more stable and i can plot my course and expectations beforehand.

we are flying into beef island and have the sleep aboard the night before so i expect a fairly early start on day 1 and to sail a considerable bit on the first day to get the feel of the boat.
MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 16:21   #18

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
No, not "prescription painkillers", per se, but a prescription BVI BEVERAGE for a good time. The famous Painkiller is a BVI favourite cocktail beverage served by all the BVI beach bars and consumed shamelessly in copious quantities by sailors in those waters. The drink was created by the original owner of the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost van Dyke island and later modified (and I think perfected) by the owner of the Pussers establishments, Charles Tobias. His concoction utilizes Pussers Rum. The basic drink is mixed with: 2 oz Pussers rum; 4 oz. Pineapple juice; 1 oz. Orange juice and 1 oz. cream of coconut. It is very smooth and, of course, delicious. Anyone who has inbibed in this tasty tropical drink will confirm that they can sneak up on you 😄 And that might lead to the need for a traditional painkiller to deal with the next morning's tropical hangover. Oh yeah, the Painkiller #2 refereences the amount of rum. The higher the number - the more rum per drink! #2 is a good starting point 😎
hahahaha Oh, so much better! Thanks
Old 29-07-2015, 09:26   #19

Anegada is a must, IMHO! Great open water sail, channel is marked now. Really undeveloped, heard it's like the BVIs were in the 1950s - 1960s. My advice: Don't rent a moped, get a jeep instead. Mopeds are hard to handle on the sandy roads off the concrete highway.
mjgriffin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 18:30   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
Relax & enjoy your week. We've done the BVIs 6 times, 3 with Anegada and 3 without. (good bonefishing there)If the wind is light your sail to A will be like sitting on the beach and 'Cow Wreck Beach' is a memorable spot. If the sea is uncomfortable for your crew keep orbiting Tortola. The trick if you only have a week is to make sure you stay one place for 2 nights just to force the relaxation. I like anchoring either tucked in off Long Point on Virgin Gorda or behind Monkey Point Guana Island for those two nights. The snorkeling is great both places. Don't plan too much, roll with the weather & mood.
Do you mean "long Bay" on the NW corner of VG S-East of Seal Dog? Or are you talking about Long Point on Guana?
Old 29-07-2015, 19:24   #21

Moorings has no issue with going to Anagada.
Day 1, go north to Savana bay on Virgin Gorda if no north swell, use caution going into Savana bay for the reefs or go to Marina Cay or White Bay on Guana island or Trellis Bay
Day 2, Leverick bay on Virgin Gorda, rent a safari truck and go to the baths. See Michael Beans at Leverick for the happy R show. Leverick will rent you dock space for $35 per night if ttol member, ask for Nick, he can also arrange the truck.
Day 3, early start to Anagada, nice sail, understand your way into the mooring area prior to departing. No big deal but don't wing it. Rent a safari truck and go to the north shore, dine at Wonky dog.
Day 4, scrub island if you like a nice resort. Dock is going to be about $140, dock includes resorts access, nice showers. Ask for ttol discount if in off season.
Day 5, Cane Garden Bay if no cruise ship, see Quinto on Thursdays or Myett's for dinner, or see the Elm tones. Or JVD diamond cay and see the bubbly pool if north swells otherwise don't bother.
Day 6, JVD or CGB
Day 7 Norman island, or Cooper island
Return next morning

The Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands by the Scott's is a great reference for the BVI.

Winds in November are perfect, about 15 to 18 knots generally from the east. Winds can get higher with the "Christmas winds" mid to upper 20s and higher with a passing squall. Double reef and be careful with your sail handling.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02   #22

Painkillers are a very sweet mixed drink. I did not like them at all. I was there last week in Nanny Cay doing sailing lessons with Rob Swain.
Islandnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:37   #23

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVatcher View Post
We are not really interested on land based activities/tourist attractions, there's a couple of exercise nuts who want to be able to maybe do a run or long walk and we kind of like the more remote/natural locations as long as there is a decent restaurant and bottle(s) of wine to be had.
Plenty of good advice on routes and locations. You made a good call to come in the night before. If you're checked out and provisioned the day you arrive, you'll have a much nicer first day sailing.

We did a trip with some exercise fanatics a few years ago. We picked up a mooring at Little Harbor on Jost van Dyke. The hikers climbed the road to the summit that starts there and had a wonderful time. Very remote feel once they were away from the harbor with more animals than people. If your "exercise nuts" are really avid, the road continues down to White Bay and Great Bay. I spent the day hanging out at Sidney's and also enjoyed myself.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53   #24

Boat: PaceShip PY26

Thanks JCarr and Tartansail. Good info.

I have been studying the cruising guide and taking notes on places i would like to see, there is just too many so the replies to this post have been extremely helpful in narrowing it all down to a, wind providing, great itinerary with plan B's if the wind does not provide.

But if anyone else has additional wind, stopover and exercise recommendations please share it here.

Next time 10 days or more.
MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:39   #25

Have done many bareboat charters in the BVI; love sailing there. We’ve always spent one night at Anegada. Take a taxi to Loblolly Bay for some snorkelling (often have had the beach to ourselves) and then the Lobster Grill at Anegada Reef Hotel.

I’ve never had a pre-planned itinerary (just make it up as we go), but I do depart from Virgin Gorda early on the morning of going to Anegada.

We usually do a 7day charter and I provision for 6 nights dinners using the BBQ on the back of the boat and 1 night ashore at Anegada. Will often go ashore for drinks after dinner, but love dinner on deck in a nice anchorage.
YachtBoyRMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:42   #26

The one place I would omit from a BVI itinerary is Cane Garden Bay. It's such a let down from what you expect from the guides. Plenty of other beautiful places in the BVI.
YachtBoyRMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:53   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 57

@YachtBoyRMK - you have just resurrected an 8 year old thread.
Much has changed since the thread was active. And I find that Cane Garden Bay is quite nice as long as one avoids the cruise-ship crowd days. There are some great establishments with live music (Quito's and my favorite, The Elm) plus nice restaurants there now.

Tags
anegada