Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2009, 09:15   #1
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Bukh Spares in Trinidad

Need a fuel pump (high pressure, not lift) for a Bukh dv20. Anyone have any pointers who to ask in Trini for such a thing? Boat in Tobago but doubt if it's even worth asking over here.

Much thanks
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:03   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yanmar, Perkins & Volvo have a good chance but for Bukh I think FedEx will be your friend!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:34   #3

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Difficult one! I believe a friend of mine had some work done on his Buhk a few years back from an outfit near Arima in Trinidad...but whether this was a supplier or just a mechanic I couldn't say. I suggest you borrow the yellow pages and look through the appropriate section until you see the Buhk logo/name. However If memory serves me well it was a company call engine (something) Arima, TT

Budget at 634 2006 and LP Marine 633 3395 (The latter especially) may be useful.

Notwithstanding that it wouldn't be that difficult to buy part and have sent direct and perhaps would even be less expensive, than local prices, which even within these difficult financial times are showing resistance to lowering.

Regards

Alan

PS I believe the company in Arima is Engine Tech 667 7158
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:53   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Try Marine Warehouse in Trinidad, they are a catalog store to a supplier in Florida.
The Customer Service counter at either Budget or Peake's would be another great resource.
Pick up the Boaters Directory for Trinidad at any marine outlet, for directory assistance to everything to do with boating stuff. .
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 07:48   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
sailing across?

Thanx all. Might be a lot easier all round if the boat was over there. Anyone tried sailing across? Boat is 33' steel cutter so not poss to get too close to the wind espec in light airs. Looks ok apart from getting through the bocas.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 08:02   #6

Boat: Currently boatless
Bukh Distributor for TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Engine Tech Company Ltd
12 Mausica Street
Arima, Trinidad
Tel: +1-868-6677-7251
Fax: +1-868-667-0623
E-mail: enginman@tstt.net.tt
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 08:02   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Thanx all. Might be a lot easier all round if the boat was over there. Anyone tried sailing across? Boat is 33' steel cutter so not poss to get too close to the wind espec in light airs. Looks ok apart from getting through the bocas.
Not a problem! Listen to Eric on 3855.0 LSB at 6:30 am for weather, and try to catch some of the west flowing current. Remember this is an international shipping channel betwen Panama and Brazil so keep an eye out for shipping, boats working the oil and gas platforms and fishing boats.
About 2,000 boats are in Trinadad for the hurricane season, and more arrive for the carnival.

If the first boca is kicking up go further west, you've two more larger ones to chose from.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 08:07   #8

Boat: Lagoon 37 Makaru
Sailing from Tobago to Trinidad is normally all downwind and with the current. The problem is the possibility of running out of wind half way to the Boca and then the real problem of entering Boca with no engine. I would not want to sail from Tobago to Trinidad in a boat with engine out.
And if you have part sent to Tobago from another country, be sure to have package marked for "Yacht in Transit" to avoid duty.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 08:14   #9

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Eric is off the air at the moment (& for the last month or so). Local rumour had it he was thrown out of his house by his wife. I did the trip Trini to Tobago a month ago and it was a bit of a thrash to windward to t'other way should be easy. The current through the Bocas is not that bad and it's only about a mile through the first one anyway.
Look out the window for the weather & when you get to Chagauramas, try contacting Gittens engineering (next door to Coral Cove). They are very good and as somebody else said Marine Warehouse can get the parts Fedex'd if the local agents can't supply them. Ask Gittens, they may have local contacts. I'm sure you know, but don't forget you have to see customs & immigration at both ends. Try and arrive in Chag in working hours (0800-1600) to avoid overtime, they want you to check in as soon as you arrive. To make it less of a saga, get Tobago to endorse your papers to stay overnight in Scotland Bay, that way you only have to struggle through half the Boca and the timing is easier in Chag to hit working hours. I stopped at Scotland Bay, La Vache Bay (very nice, highly recommended) and Grande Riviere (don't, would be my advice, 'strange' locals) on the way over.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 15:38   #10

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Paddy, I have a good friend in Tobago who is a diesel engineer. I'll send you a pm with his details. At the very least he should be able to get the part sent up from Trini.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bukh, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago