Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic Ariel
Brunswick, GA

Any experience wintering a trawler in Brunswick, GA? Would be coming from New England in the fall of 2011. Recommendations on facilities? Any issues with staying aboard for a few weeks or month at a time?

Also have considered Dataw Island Marina in SC.

Thank you
deaconjrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12   #2
cruiser

Re: Brunswick GA

The obvious place is Brunswick Landing Marina. are a good share of trawlers always there. It has 25 reviews and averages 4 stars. You can get a lot of feedback from reading the reviews.

Don't rule out Morningstar - Golden Isles though.

Golden Isles is one of Active Captain's highest rated marinas in the world, currently with 23 reviews averaging 5 stars. Again, there's a wealth of information there to give you a feel for what it's like.

No matter what you do, you should consider getting fuel at Ocean Petroleum (near Brunswick Landing). They always have the best prices around. Not too many people rate fuel stops but they have 9 reviews and average 5 stars.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:21   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Georgia has significant rules about living aboard. Last I heard it was 30 days a year with significant fines for both th owner and the marina. there have been a few threads on the forum discussing the specifics.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 16:29   #4

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38

We spent sever weeks there about 6 years ago. Very nice area. We may leave our trawler there on the hard in the summer in the future.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 18:26   #5

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

We spent the entire month of January at Brunswick Landing Marina this year - Nice amenities with some good people. Two clean restrooms with showers, free wifi and laundry. There's also usually a Wed PM get-together at one of the lounges (by dock 9).

Current rate (monohull) is $2.00 per foot/day up to 5 days, then $11/foot/month plus metered electric. I was told that pumpout is available, but only during high tide on weekdays. The dockmaster said "everybody usually just goes outside to dump".

There are signs posted advising about GA law which limits living aboard to 30 days/year, but nobody said anything to me about my month, and there were quite a few boats there that have been there with liveaboards for months.

The marina is pretty well protected and has good depth (9 feet at MLW). There's "security" there, but I never saw them do anything other than sit in the car watching movies the entire month I was there (not even driving around the lot). No real gates or security on the docks, anyone can walk out, and it's right by downtown.

Overall, the marina is nice with floating docks (6-7 foot tide change), If you're looking for a yard and need work to be done, I'd look elsewhere though - I've heard nothing good about the boatyard there (haulout is $11/foot).

Beware that BLM and yard do charge an illegal 4% surcharge if you pay with a credit card. When questioned, management said "I don't care, that's how we do it". VISA confirmed that the charge is in violation of the merchant agreement and in violation of the law. They said they're looking in to it and any instances should be reported to them and the GA Attorney General's Office.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59   #6

Dataw is a gated community. No security problems and off the beaten path. I spent a couple of nights on my 41 hatt there about 5 years ago. Very pretty, oak trees, bike paths etc. I'm going back when diesel gets below $2.00.
rrsccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:59   #7

Boat: Custom NEB 52' 'Starlight'

I went into Brunswick Landing and thought the marina was nice. However, 3 employees warned me about their boss (the owner). He is not someone you would enjoy dealing with. In addition, I have never been taken advantage of as I was in their yard! They are crooks! It is such a shame because the people who work there are nice and seem wonderful. The owner is just a complete jerk and I would rather sink a boat than do business with him. I would urge you to stay in Charleston or Savannah...
starlight83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52   #8

My boat's in Brunswick Landing now. One of the nicest welcomes from the staff I've ever had at a marina. They spent about 15 minutes going over the 15 page info packet that listed just about every restaurant, store or conceivable need - well, at least legal need.

No sign of a nasty boss. Maybe he's at the boatyard which is some distance away. I'm not planning on having work done so not really an issue.

The marina staff recommended a diver that is an independent (by the way they claimed that they have less fouling than most marinas because they are on a dead end piece of water.) We'll see.

They very much wanted me to stay for more than a month. Plenty of live aboards. No questions asked - either way.

They told me on the radio that it would be best to pay by check - without mentioning the surcharge. Wasn't a problem to me and prices are significantly cheaper than similar quality marina's north or south - much more than the value of the points from charging on the card

The town has a reputation for being a little hard scrabble. It also has some industry. I can see their point - it's no Beaufort. But there is a high end restaurant, Cargo, that would hold it's own in midtown Manhattan. Also a reasonable number of artists studios, antique shops, and an active community theater. There's a weekly farmer's market and the marina staff told us a local rancher delivers organic grass fed beef to the boats once a month.

I didn't feel a security concern at the docks. The docks gangways face on a large lighted parking lot and grass area that gives no where to hide. Plenty of people around.

Pretty much perfect protection. It was blowing 30+ the day we arrived and there was no chop or roll. No wakes either since the channel dead ends.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 16:25   #9

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 27
Re: Brunswick, GA

do any of yall know if they have a minimum size rule? also do they need proof of insurance?
jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 21:07   #10
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared View Post
do any of yall know if they have a minimum size rule? also do they need proof of insurance?
Contact Brunswick Landing Marina and ask Sherri
Brunswick Landing Marina: A full service Georgia marina

I don't think there is a minimum size, but better to be sure. Probably going to need liability, but I don't recall if they asked for it when we checked in.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:55   #11

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Most professional marinas are going to want you to have liability insurance. As are your boat owning neighbors. They'll bill you by the foot, just call and price out some slips. It's a great area to winter in. Plenty of services and great places to boat.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote