Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 00:33   #91

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Bottom Paint For Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Fstbttms would probably disagree from California, but we have not met anyone with good experiences with Trinidad in the Caribe in the past 6 years. It is particularly bad in the Western Caribe. It has the good reputation that never seems to die, though. Maybe it's the paint that bottom cleaners like the most?

I think there are both hard and semi-ablative versions of Trinidad, but I'm too lazy to google it.

Mark
We had great experience with Trinidad. We got 3 years out of it and it still looks not bad. The only real issue right now is the leading edges and waterline which I cleaned.
We will haul and paint this spring but very satisfied with Trinidad.

Of course we use ablative, do not touch it except the waterline and sail a lot. We average about 3,000nm a year and don't sit in marinas except in the winter.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:03   #92
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We had great experience with Trinidad. We got 3 years out of it and it still looks not bad. The only real issue right now is the leading edges and waterline which I cleaned.

Of course we use ablative, do not touch it except the waterline and sail a lot. We average about 3,000nm a year and don't sit in marinas except in the winter.
I'm confused. Are you using Trinidad or an ablative paint?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:35   #93

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

Just to be clear, you are in the Med, not the Caribbean - correct?.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:47   #94

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Just to be clear, you are in the Med, not the Caribbean - correct?.

Mark
It is early morning and on my first cup of coffee -- somedays my brain does not work very well before the coffee sets in - and it was a late night watching American football on the internet -

I made a mistake - used seahawk ablative and both Caribbean and Med

sorry all - I promise no posting until at least one full cup of coffee - strong and black and hot -- and no posting after a long night of watching American football -- I promise
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:21   #95
cruiser

the northern GOM is called the 'northern Caribbean,' and fwiw, Trinidad PRO is working well here. I wipe, usually with a bar towel, monthly
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 17:19   #96

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Tom-

I launched last June with red ABC. Was a surplus lot from a Coast Guard refit and even had the CG ship name on the 5 gallon label. It worked great for a few months then I had lots of hard growth of up to nickel sized barnacles by fall!

This summer it wasn't as bad, but I have the boat moored in a different area and been mostly stored all summer. Whereas I sailed a bunch all last summer.

Planning to start heading south next month as was going to maybe repaint in Janurary, but is seems is going to cost about $500 just for a short haul out. I had put a bunch of coats on as I thought it would be pretty soft, but it seems likes it's pretty hard.

Might be a bit thin near the bow knuckles, but I have scrubbed it really hard many times.

Where do you keep your boat? I'm looking for somewhere in S Florida to rent a mooring the month of Janurary. Thinking maybe dinner key if they have space.

There is a use by date on ABC and that could be part of the problem. You are also suppose to put one of those egg beaters on an electric drill and stir the paint before you use it. That being said ABC is used by many commercial boats that are used almost on a daily basis. I have noticed that the more I sail the better it seems to work and you are suppose to regularly have the boat at or above 10 knots.

I have only driven through Miami on I95 since the 1970s. I know there is an anchorage by the mooring field at Dinner Key, but January is way into the season. It gets very crowded then but you could call and see. I thought about taking my boat to the Coconut Grove Sailing Club anchorage in May for my 50th high school reunion but all my high school sailing buds had left and the guy I talked to basically said anchoring out was the best option. Wound up driving my car, funny thing is finding a place to park was a bitch not to mention traffic jams. Here is a link
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 19:43   #97

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Slightly off topic...Does anyone know the effect of storing a boat on the hard for a year or so and what that does to bottom paint?
One of the reasons we went with Coppercoat - good for 10+ years out of the water and in. We try to store out of the water every year we leave the Med, and I didn't want antifouling paint falling off (as we have experienced in the past). The seasons we do have someone to keep an eye on lines etc, we leave in the water, and just get a few mm of 'fur' over 10 months or so, which falls off as soon as you touch it with a brush.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 21:56   #98

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
We used SuperShip Bottom several years ago. It was an OK to good paint - not as good as Micron 66 (but also without Micron 66's negatives), and better than most other paints.

We had it on the bottom for 2 years as we went down the US East Coast to the Bahamas twice - so pretty much in warm water.

It was by far the stinkiest paint I have ever used, but also the most pleasant paint to apply - assuming you haven't passed out from the smell. The coverage was exactly what they advertise - where I find others do not cover as well as they say and more paint is necessary. It rolled on smooth and didn't flash quickly, and remained thin in the pan. By far the best application experience I have had with a bottom paint (except for the noxious smell, of course).

It is a hard ablative - it can take much more scrubbing than Micron 66, but you can't go to town on it. The first year we had nothing but thin mild soft growth that easily came off under a hard sail or gentle wiping with a cloth.

In the second year, we started to get some type of circular red soft growth that would start out as a small circle and quickly get larger and larger. This growth seemed to drill deeply into the paint and was very difficult to remove. Even when seemingly totally removed, it came right back in the same areas.

By the end of the second year, it was becoming difficult to keep up with this specific red soft growth organism, and I was scrubbing much of the paint off trying to get rid of it.

We never had any hard growth outside of a few occasional and random small barnacles.

If we leave out "The Paint That Shall Not Be Named", I think your only options for the Caribbean is Micron 66/77/99 (the latter two are available in the Caribe, but not in the US), or possibly SuperShipBottom.

Micron 66 can never see fresh water, and can be deactivated with longish periods in brackish water. Micron 77/99 is supposed to fix that issue. If you think you will be spending time in fresh to brackish water (ie, Chesapeake, or exploring rivers in South/Central America), then don't use Micron 66.

Also, Micron 66/77/99 is an EXTREMELY soft paint. I mean, you just look at it all squinty-eyed and clouds of it release into the water. You will almost immediately lose it all off your leading edges bow, keel, rudder - so just plan to scrape those by hand. Not too onerous. When it becomes time to maintain it by softly wiping it, you will cry as all that money goes out into the water. You will also need to wipe a section, wait for the vast clouds of paint to clear, and wipe another section, etc.

Other than that, it is the only paint, that is not SSB or "TPTSNBN", we have found to work in the Caribe. Others will go on about many other paints, but talking to many, many people, the only consistent responses of good experiences is with Micron 66 and TPTSNBN (SSB is just too rare). Fstbttm will never admit it, and he has no experience to back up his endorsement there, but Trinidad SR is a terrible paint for much of the Caribe. So many put that on, and so many have growth issues with it.

So, try SSB if you want to take a chance - we found it pretty good. If you pass on that, then Micron 66/77/99 is the second best paint after TPTSNBN. Try to get the 77 or 99 version. They advertise it as "professional-only", but I can't see why - they both allow roller application.

Oh, BTW, they used to have a commercial very much worth watching. I must have viewed that 100 times until I learned how to apply it…

Mark
Thanks for the detailed posting... Looks like I have narrowed it down to 2.. Either Super Ships Bottom or Micron 77/99.. We will see which one the yard can get a hold of (the yard requires me to buy through them).

Thanks again!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 15:09   #99

The problem with far too many 'studies' in far too many areas, is their outcomes are determined with the negotiations and payment, that is made before any 'study' is carried out.

It is so bad, it is why I cancelled all of my annual subscriptions to 'Scientific' Journals, over a decade ago (saved me a fortune every year too). How a lot of these so called 'scientists' aren't doing serious jail time, is beyond me, and I will go further, that one particular so called 'researcher' hasn't had the Death Sentence imposed (yet) for the lives he has cost, really does annoy me (this individual is responsible for in the order of 800,000 unnecessary deaths, in a recent five year period, just in Europe, thanks to the fake conclusions of his fake study into Beta Blockers, which doesn't include those that were seriously injured as a result - we are talking Rwanda massacre numbers here - yet the unnecessary deaths caused by the rigged studies concerning DDT, even dwarf that - estimated over 200 million people died as a result).

You should see the unscientific stunts being pulled in the unnecessary attempts to ban the use of lead for instance, yet nobody is looking at the activists and Companies that are going to benefit from substitutes, plus, they aren't looking at the very real, and rapid problems, that are appearing with lead substitutes (rapid groundwater contamination, for instance, where even centuries of use of lead has never shown any measurable difference over natural background levels). Like copper, there is more than one form of lead, but the 'catchall' is laying the path for the exploitation of unsuitable replacements that the 'investors' picked up on the cheap, because they really were so worthless.

Nobody considers the undesirable consequences. For example, the attempt to make effective lead free ammunition for 5.56mm NATO, is causing chamber pressures to be beyond unacceptably high (at circa 65,000 psi), for the bolt of M16 type rifles. But it's only our troops, right, and their safety and lives don't seem to count for anything in some quarters, where receiving grant money and serving unscrupulous market manipulators, has the priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
One of the reasons we went with Coppercoat - good for 10+ years out of the water and in. We try to store out of the water every year we leave the Med, and I didn't want antifouling paint falling off (as we have experienced in the past). The seasons we do have someone to keep an eye on lines etc, we leave in the water, and just get a few mm of 'fur' over 10 months or so, which falls off as soon as you touch it with a brush.
The Port of Destination for my boat when I get it, will be somewhere fairly local to me that does Coppercoat.

It will take me a bit over 6 months to get there, with a departure from the USA, and a transit through the Caribbean. The intention is to jump off from Trinidad and Tobago (I want a Trin football shirt and scarf, as I supported them in the World Cup, and at least a couple of drinks in the bar some of the live coverage of supporters came from - they were such good fun, the least I can do is pop in and drink their health), and head for Cabo Verde with a hopefully relaxing crossing.

So a light coat of something easy to clean off when I get this side of the Pond, or just about worn out at 7 months (I may make unscheduled stops for extra drinks somewhere along the way), would appear ideal.

PS. I may well have been the person that put the 'mental' into environmentalist, but I now want it taken out, thank you very much. Things have gone way beyond a joke.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 15:33   #100

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

FWIW.

International Micron CSC Ultra. Applied in Cape Town, one year of use.
Sigma with TBT, applied Trinindad, one MONTH and failed
Sigma Ecol Hard Ablative (free replacement) Applied Trinidad, 5 Years.
Rainbow SP-99 Green, Applied Venezuela. 6 years.
Titan Commercial hard ablative, applied Mallorca still on 4 years, 2 to go

Going back to Rainbow. We always put on minimum 10 Gallons each time.

Tags
bottom paint, Caribbean, paint, rib